DFG tagged fish?

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by johnnylh, Jul 12, 2020.

1. johnnylh

johnnylh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60
    On opening day last week, one of my 47 fish was a tagged fish. Was I supposed to report it? Or was there a prize available, hahhaha? If anyone knows, let me know. Hope everyone had a great day on the opener. IMG_20200708_073559166.jpg IMG_20200708_073555191_HDR.jpg

2. Crscamp

Crscamp Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Here ya go...

BARRETT TAG INFO.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. B Ruck

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +104
  4. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,949
    Dang, you lost out on the 500 bucks!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. SSG Stubbs

SSG Stubbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    We got a tagged fish between echo and becky's. We took all the information to laurie at the dock. Her clip board only had 1 other fish on it. Chase put a sticky label on the map where he caught it. I say that we all do that, then we can see where the tagged fish are being caught and who has the biggest tagged fish. His was only 1lb 5 oz. Wonder if a 5 lb eats the 1 lb and the tag is coming out the butt, do you report both tags?

6. SSG Stubbs

SSG Stubbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    We got a tagged fish between echo and becky's. We took all the information to laurie at the dock. Her clip board only had 1 other fish on it. Chase put a sticky label on the map where he caught it. I say that we all do that, then we can see where the tagged fish are being caught and who has the biggest tagged fish. His was only 1lb 5 oz. Wonder if a 5 lb eats the 1 lb and the tag is coming out the butt, do you report both tags?

7. nightcaster

nightcaster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Any funded or policy driven studies have to make you wonder. It may have to do with future restrictions or worse, closure by the MLPA or some other group. Who is paying to study Barrett fish in this economy and why? We had a fantastic fishery at the river mouth here in imperial beach with halibut, sharks, croaker, perch, corbina only to be closed by mlpa after a funded study of fish population. No data, no results Already sounds like data spotty.
    I am cautious of any funded fish study programs right now. With lakes closing already due to budgets long before Covid, why is the DFG spending money to study bass at Barrett? Can only mean one thing, restrictions or complete closure. We had a fantastic fishery at river mouth in imperial beach with halibut, perch, sharks, croaker and corbina. Only to be shut down after a funded fish study by the MLPA. They are not wanting to know how healthy Barrett bass are, it’s a move to restrict further or close Barrett amongst city lakes. If no accurate data is collected, maybe no new policy will be enforced? Sounds like study already lacking so that’s good imo. Also, boats already gone. That is the true writing on the wall.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Boat:
    SR-18
    The wheels to this study were well in motion before Covid. This is a pilot study to evaluate the population‘s catchability, how recycled the fish are and if growth is impacted by catchability. It also serves to evaluate the effectivness of Citizen Science as a tool to broaden the Department’s ability to collect data for possible future studies in a period of increasingly reduced funding. Simple as that.

It’s interesting how some ask for inclusion in the process yet are resistant/defiant when the opportunity is placed before them. I have to shake my head. Conspiracy BS is just that.

The ball is in your court to have this succeed or fail. Up to you.

#8 Queue, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,949
    I remember Queue talking about this catchability study last year. While I can understand the lack of trust for our city/county officials, I’d also have to say that nothing they have done has been based on scientific evidence but pretty much without any logic or reasoning. I am interested in the results so I am onboard with providing the data. I don’t see the conspiracy idea as legitimate but you do you and let’s go fishing!

10. nightcaster

nightcaster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I just wonder what if teh study proves
    I don't think a conspiracy just wonder what results will help determine. A question for Queue. What if they conclude catchability adversely affects the growth rate?

11. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Most likely forage is limited and fish are eating anything that moves (your lures) making them easier to catch or the population is large and competition is high making them easier to catch. Both scenarios is dependent upon the number of tags returned to tease out the likely culprit.