1. Spotted bay bass SDFISH shirts available to order

We're doing another run of the popular Spotted Bay Bass SDFISH shirts, with a couple of additional colors this time. Available on short sleeves, long sleeves, or UPF 50+ rated fishing shirts.

Order Now

Dismiss Notice

Did I miss the spawn?

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Gzava, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Gzava

Gzava Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hey what's up guys? Well, I'm still relatively new to fishing and are still trying to get the seasonal patterns on lock. I was at Murray over the weekend and noticed the water temperature was above 70 degrees. I didn't seem to find any bass hanging out on the flats. I did find a few inactive fish on the deeper edges of the points. Could it be that I missed the spawn and I should be looking for post spawn fish instead? Even tho this lake is small, I don't usually get lucky, I'm really trying to figure it out. Thanks for your time guys, I pretty much learn all I know through this site!

2. PBcali

PBcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Name:
    PBcali
    Boat:
    Skeeter ZX 202 C
    how was the water clarity? last time I was there their was a big algae bloom going on and all the water was green

3. Gzava

Gzava Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Not so clear. It's really bad, can't see past an inch or two. To top it off, they had recently lowered the water level about four feet or so.

4. DeeMoeWin

DeeMoeWin Active Member

Ratings:
    +47
    I've been wondering the same thing! Water temp at jennings was high 60s over the weekend but not very many beds.

Murray is a whole different monster which happens to be my home lake. No luck yet and I'm pretty discouraged.

5. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,712
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Its started way early....jennings had bed fish three weeks ago and will again soon. Otay already has a ton of fry and fry gaurding fish all over yet the spawn is still happening. Cap has bed fish right now only its so tough as you cant see the, unless in 2ft of water. San V is started up a while back , yet from what I am hearing many are deeper than normal. Yet still some on the banks. A month ago we landed a couple bed fish at V.
    Its just being there at the right time and place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +509
    They'll spawn through April for sure. They aren't all on beds at the same time. It can change hour to hour, day to day, week to week. There are lots of really good anglers that don't ever target beds, it's not because of some ethical or moral high ground but simply the vast majority of fish at any given time are not going to be on beds.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  7. Gzava

Gzava Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah you're right. Although there were a few fish on the lake main points which I'm assuming are gonna move up soon, I noticed that the more successful anglers were focusing on the tullies. I'm assuming they were throwing jigs or spinners, an art I have not successfully learned lol

8. fasterns

fasterns Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +24
    5" Senko in green and white on a drop shot. Be ready to switch colors; can sometimes trigger strike if not responding to original color. If not actively protecting bed; move on and come back later. May have just been hooked and you'll waste your time sitting on that fish. Depending on the lake, water clarity, etc...; 1' to 12' deep. Patience and knowing how to "flip" or "pitch" your lure will be helpful. Good luck and have fun. Most importantly, DO NOT KEEP BASS SPAWNING. Please.

9. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +231
    I was at lake Poway Sunday morning. I watched a little kid with his dad ( their first time fishing EVER) get hit 3 times using a night crawler off the fishing pier. Kid landed a 4lb bass with his Spider Man fishing pole. It seemed super slow for everyone else. The water is still murky, and they're lowering it. Seems like the bass don't care for the constantly changing level.

10. TmoeBass

TmoeBass Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Bed fish everywhere in SD County for weeks. I was seeing pre spawners late January/early February at Murray before the algae bloom. Blind throw 5' - 15' foot of water with what ever bait you feel fits the structure or cover. Keep line tight and set fast. Could be a rat, clone or Donkey. Don't get caught up in water visibility and sight fishing. Stained water is your friend. Self regulate and don't wait for DFG to tell you site fishing is not good for a healthy fishery.
    Target deeper key structure with big baits for the larger females (Bill Murphy). They will move in then out so quick you will be checking SDfish reports and miss em.

11. Gzava

Gzava Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks TmoeBass for the tips. I'll definitely start to emphasize my time on finding deep structure at Murray. I've heard multiple times bigger baits work out there.

12. Gzava

Gzava Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks fasterns I'll definitely give the drop shot a try. As far as bass, I'm a catch and release type of guy.