Dipping is a good way to modify soft plastics

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by spoonminnow, Mar 7, 2016.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    Last year I used a lure that had no action tail. For the life of me I can't remember making it, but it caught over a dozen pan fish in one lake. Here's the first fish it caught:

[​IMG]

So this winter I decided to make some more lures minus action tails such as those of Sassy Shads and curl tail grubs. The ones pictured were lures I made and then dipped in clear hot plastic.

some%20hand%20poured%20no%20action%20tail%20grubs_zpserlij4xr.jpg

I then applied the idea dipping manufactured lures.

[​IMG]

If you own the minnow shapes with those little fins as seen above, a,b or c should do as well if not better than the original lure. Ditto for these dipped Sassy Shads minus tails:
    [​IMG]

If a tube need a larger body diameter, I dipped it and it caught more fish than the original unaltered lure:
    dipped%20tube_zps5zxbgh3t.jpg

The visual change of light reflection beneath a clear skin may enhance a lure's effectiveness.

2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    Props on you for paying attention to details and going the extra mile!

As for do-nothing tails...I'm always reminded by an experiment Berkley had done in their test tanks. They have a pretty elaborate freshwater tank where they test their baits in scientific conditions, complete with bass and everything.

When they were working on new craws, they found that the baits that got bit the best had no legs or claws. Just a thick piece of plastic, like a small cigar basically. It had really no action at all. But the bass time and again bit that more often than realistic looking crawdad imitators.

They of course never have brought anything like that to market because they know it would never sell. Believe it or not, they have to offer baits that won't work as good because they know people will actually buy them.

And people wonder why the Ned Rig is so effective?

3. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Kellen- that supports what I posted in a thread in the Bay Fishing forum. Until we find the Caesar Milan of fishing, we are resolved to trial, error, and speculation. We (people) try to make lures as lifelike as possible, but is that REALLY the trick? Every living organism emits electrical impulses with brain activity and movement. They get more intense as emotions (i.e. fear) increase. I'm pretty sure that fish can pick up on this, and decipher the real thing from the fake. There are 3 criteria fish are looking for.

1. Appearance. And by appearance I simply mean a tangible, physical, discernible presence.
    2. Smell/taste. That's why fish attractants are PROVEN to keep fish hanging on longer than without.
    3. Electrical brain/cellular activity.

These 3 things in conjunction will guarantee a bite over the artificial alternative. We have the first 2 things dialed in. If someone could invent a small insert or some sort of device that emulates the minute amounts of electrical currents generated by communication between cells and organs of a small fish or similarly sized creature of the likes, I believe you would find the key to the perfect artificial lure.

Maybe I should sit down in my garage and see what I can come up with.......

Maybe you should too ;-)

4. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    "Believe it or not, they have to offer baits that won't work as good because they know people will actually buy them."
    and most of those customers believe everything that comes out of Bill Dance's mouth!
    You'd be surprised at how many die hard match-the-forage anglers I get attacked by when trying to convey the simple fact that fish can't think or draw conclusions about an artificial as Fomen so eloquently expressed.

The fact that fish have no idea what a lure is and are provoked by some design quality a lure possesses (along with a presentation suited to that design), pretty much accounts for all of the strikes a lure gets.

But even tail-less lures, like the one that caught the perch, still exhibit a subtle but easily detected action - a waddling of the entire lure as it is slowly retrieved. I compare its action to a Zara Spook that waddles and zig zags along in a straight path.

As far as I'm concerned a lure's action speaks volumes - some superior to other lures in the same class. I found this out once and for all when I got sucked into buying Mad Man Craws that are exact duplicates of crawfish and caught nothing. Yet once I returned to using skirted jigs with pork or plastic trailers - totally unrealistic BTW - did I start catching bass again.

It still amazes me that after all these years the amount of crap that's printed in Bass Master Magazine and shown on TV and that's used to sell lures in fishing catalogs. One good thing - most of the locals don't have a clue, catch few if any fish and therefore can't decimate the population in any one body of water I regularly fish. Mums the word!

Thanks again for those great replies. You've restored my faith in human intellect that is actually used!

5. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +990
    Maybe explains the effectiveness of the senko?

6. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    Here are a few other cabin fever creations I know will work once the water temperature gets above 40:
    core%20shot%20and%20clear%20plastic_zpspqvjgwmg.jpg
    [​IMG]

None require a mold to make them.

#6 spoonminnow, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  7. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

8. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,569
    Too many lures are designed to catch fisherman rather than fish. As me how I know this !

9. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    update:

Many worked great Wed. and Fri. for perch, sun fish, crappie and a small bass. Water ranged from 45 and then increased to 49 within 48 hours of air temps reaching 75 degrees - almost beating a record for March in NY.

Even caught fish in schools feeding on surface - outrageous for early March. Now I know my theory about the bullet shaped bait is true: no-tail baits will catch fish!

10. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    Update:
    Caught over 80 fish today in a shallow lake - water temperature over 80 degrees and I was anchored in 5' or less for 2 hours, fan casting around the boat! There is an algae bloom in most of the lake, but where I was had less suspended algae and not as opaque green.

The cone tails and the straight body lures were blasted by 4 fish species (mostly pan fish). Didn't bother using curl tail grubs because I knew from the outing the day before that action tail lures would not be as effective.

One thing that allowed them to work better in the shallow hot water was changing to a 1/16 and 1/32 oz jig heads from 1/8 oz which had to be retrieved too fast for the suspended schools of mixed specie. The jigs were tied to 6# test fluorocarbon leaders though the main line on one reel was 8# test braid; the other 8# test Suffix mono. The hits were solid and hook sets easy with either set up and better shallow than in other deeper areas of the lake, including 14' in the opposite end.

So much for the angler myth that fish gravitate to deeper water to stay cooler!