Dirtbag Fur Bags

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,694
    So sick of sea lions. Long story short, I made my way to Shelter Island this morning, praying I could get an hour or so in before the crowds started invading. Pretty morning, but humid as all get out. Maybe 70 degrees outside. Water was calm and 72 degrees. A pair of kayakers and one float tuber other than myself on the water.

1.JPG

Started taking Spotties right away . If there's one thing that SI is good for, its Spotties. They live on that first drop-off ledge.

2.JPG

Was pulling flies through the first two levels of ledge just next to the moored boats. Got turned around after the first leg and notice that one of the little prix (err, fur bags) had made his way down from the pier, and was insistent on starting right in on the thievery, debauchery and general mayhem that always seems to follow them.

The first sighting of him was several minutes before.. slowly making his way east near the shore.. just playing around.. doing acrobatics and coming up for air every few seconds. I knew right where he was pretty much most of the time. Now I know these animals just cant stand to not know what's going on, so I figured it was only a matter of time before he got close enough to inspect the color of my eyes.

As if right on queue, I get nailed and my line is pulling out. I'm doing everything I can to pull line in by hand and get it on my lap. As my leader gets close, I can plainly see that I've bagged a pair of decent Spotties. Not one second later, there goes my line, ripping from my hand. I pull back hard, and the line keeps going. I'm praying I hooked him, and I'm hoping it causes him a little pain. Got busted off a second later and retrieved a fly line minus a Fireline leader, two lengths of fluorocarbon, a Crazydad and a nice little maroon and tan Clouser. Prik.

3.JPG

Didn't do much after that. Stopped at roughly the 2 hour mark with a total of 20.. 17 Spots - all pretty decent sized.. 2 juvenile Halibut - both under 14" for sure, and an errant 5" Sand bass that looked totally surprised and like he needed to get home in the worst way. That's it. People were starting to invade the beach and claim their spots.. kayakers and paddle boarders were showing up in droves and me and another dude were the lone float tubers. No idea how the kayakers and other float tuber did. I'd look over occasionally, but never got to see them hooked up.

Cant wait for the tide to flip.

2. inthedeep2

inthedeep2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315
    I really need to tube there. just a little apprehensive about the open bay.
    I fish the shore there alot

3. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,939
    Whaaat? You went fishing on a weekend????

4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,694
    Speaking just for myself, I'm a safety freak. Knowing that, I'm not worried at all about floating Shelter Island. You just gotta know what way the tide is going, realize that the current in front of that beach is super strong regardless, and know going in that you're probably only going to stay around the first couple rows of boats and/or out in front of the first row of boats closest to the sand. That's alot of area to cover. If you feel like you're in trouble with the current, turn north and start kicking for the sand. And that's why I always stay relatively close to the beach.

And where I park is dependant on the tide. I want a nice easy ride on the last leg, so I always park at the end of the beach that the current is pushing towards.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,694
    After careful consideration, I've come to terms with the fact that since my job is shift work and my days vary (I work every other weekend), I take my fishing days where I can get them. Early mornings on weekends will usually buy me two hours of some relative peace. Any time after that and it turns into a free-for-all.