Discouraged for half the day but patience paid off

Discussion in 'Panfish' started by spoonminnow, Jun 21, 2019.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +952
    A local lake has been unimpressive thus far regarding quality panfish and bass. The sunfish have been a decent size, but not so much for crappie or bass and no yellow perch. Last week I did find an area that held post spawn fish which gave me a clue where to fish yesterday.

After fishing for three hours and only catching a few gill, I was getting ready to give up but then I remembered the location pattern where fish were caught : parallel to shore, 30 yds away from it toward the middle in 4 FOW. No fish was near the shore in the shade. So I started moving along the shore going south watching the sonar for depth and fish symbols. Once the boat was over 7 FOW and cast toward the middle and found a large school of quality crappie with nice size sunfish mixed in.

For some reason I had brought two buoy markers and put one in the water considering the 10 mph wind would have blown me away from the exact location of the school. But, as I moved further south, I found more crappie in a line parallel to shore and between the two markers now in the water. The markers are homemade and placed where the depth was around 7':
    21zS5w1.jpg MUSvx3L.jpg
    When the boat would drift over fish seen on the sonar, a cast back to the spot and sometimes caught fish.
    My largest crappie this year - a +13" which is a trophy for this lake, was followed by a 12" crappie. Fish size is always uniform in a school and no fish was under 10.5"; In another school last week, the crappie averaged 9" or less.

One thing that helped me fish deeper in the wind was changing jig weights from 1/24 oz to 1/16 oz. I felt the light hits easier mid depth.

Storm clouds on the horizon and distant thunder decided for me when to get off the lake:
    7JTrbWE.jpg

Only 31 fish total boated, but not bad considering lessons learned, namely:
    1.Bring buoys to mark areas when wind is a problem and fish schools can be in different areas. Anchors are fine if only one area is found to hold fish.
    2.Heavier jigs help feel light strikes.
    3.Don't forget the raincoat when the day threatens rain. Luckily it was only a mist that fell.
    4.Sonar is invaluable finding baitfish. Much of the time seeing any fish on the screen indicates the possible presence of quality or quantity. No fish on the screen usually means no fish nearby regardless how much area is cast around the boat.
    5.Don't assume a dead calm will stay that way: bring the anchor anyway. (I hadn't)
    6.Certain lure designs proved themselves and now I'll make spares.

As I made my way back to the dock, I tried a similar are in open water that has a long hump surrounded by 7 FOW. Sure enough I caught crappie, sunfish and finally yellow perch. Too bad the thunder was getting closer or I would have marked areas along the hump and possibly caught over a dozen fish.

#1 spoonminnow, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +42,808
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Thanks for taking the time to do this..

3. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +952
    My pleasure. Maybe some of it some can relate to or maybe even use.