Discussion of productive high tide, vs low tide spots

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by jjdbike, Sep 6, 2022.

1. jjdbike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,106
    Hello all,
    I just read a book that was recommended to me through this forum. It is called "California Surf Fishing: the hunt for big fish," by Gary Kazazian. I am appreciative for the recomendation as I found it an interesting read.

The book was focused on targeting game fish in the surf, specifically California Sheepheads, Calico Bass, California Halibut, and White Sea Bass. It identified Sheephead and Calicos as primarily bait and wait species and Halibut and White Sea Bass as lure fish. It also recommend fishing for, bait fish (shepherd and calico) at high tide and lure fish (halibut and sea bass) at low.

I know these opinions are from a focused perspective and very narrowly defined, by design by the author.

For halibut, mixed bottom, specificlly sand patched in close proximity to reef. For halibut, I don't think water needs to be particular deep, just a bit deeper than surrounding waters, e.g. and edge or drop off to create an ambush point.This is from what I've read and my own limited experience w/ CA halibut, and extensive experience with my native Mid-Atlantic flatfish - Atlantic Summer Flounder. Does this make sense? Does anyone here have anything to add here?

For White Sea Bass, All I can write is what I've read, i.e. dense reef, potentially kelp, and deeper water, especially steep drop offs and reef lines that drop into deep water. Apparently sea bass like to trap bait against drop offs.

I'd like to begin a discourse, and hear from you all, on productive high tide spots vs, productive low tide spots.

Please forgive me for stating the obvious here - from my perspective,
    • Productive low tide spots allow access to deeper water and structure.

• Productive high tide spots include steeper and sculpted beaches, with soft (sand) or hard structure to hold bait and create ambush points. Common high tide structure include scalloped beaches with bowls and rips.
    For me, productive low tide spots are easier to find. Google earth is very helpful. Also the inshore portion of the beach can give hints as to what the terrain is under water.

Productive high tide spots are much harder for me to find. Local North San Diego County beaches tend to be shallow and have a gradual decline towards the sea. Structure during high seems rare and hard to find. Worse, sometimes high tide floats mats of weeds that are resting at high tide line making fishing with lures difficult.

Specific to my situation now, I'd like to target halibut and seabass with lures. The good news is there are very low tides this week. The bad news is they occur hours before 1st light, I'm not familiar enough with the local beaches to safely and effectively fish lures in the dark here.

I'm hoping experience surf fishers chime in here with opinions, perspectives, experiences and things to consider.

Respectfully,
    JD

2. YNW_FISHY

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,095
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    I have struggled a lot recently. Seems like you picked up some good knowledge! I'd recommend getting out there and spending as much time on the beach as possible. It will help you more than anything you can find here on the forums. Let us know what you find!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,335
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    This is the way I figure it . No science just a bit of experience . Tides will have an effect on any given area due to the depth of water , the obvious . Let's say that you have a rock pile / reef that is totally exposed , that you walked right by at a given low tide . That same rock pile / reef may be a productive spot when the tide is high and the structure is covered with three feet of water . Fish when you can , not when the tide dictates , you can't catch fish if your line is not in the water due to tide timing . All of the structure is in a state of tide flux , it can be good one minute and not the next . learn which spots produce at any given tide / water depth by fishing it hard . Keep moving to find the holding water . Just My $.02 . WR

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. YNW_FISHY

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,095
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    Exactly dont overthink it on the tides. Just get out there and fish i cant reiterate it enough the only way to get the knowledge you are seeking is by spending countless hours on the water regardless of tides. just be observant of the tides when you do go, so you can understand them that way

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. jjdbike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,106
    Took a walk on a beach today well south of Point today w/ my wife.
    It was one I'd only been on at lower tide stages. Was surprised at how high the tide was.
    Even still, I noticed some spots of interest where there were some deeper troughs where waves were coming in for different directions. Looked pretty fishy. Wish I'd had my rod w/ me.
    Will keep you posted.
    Thanks all.
    JD

6. jus bigguns

jus bigguns Troutmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,782
    Boat:
    Nitro
    Bottom line-You have to put your time in.

7. jus bigguns

jus bigguns Troutmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,782
    Boat:
    Nitro
    Gents, I will not be reporting for the next 7 days as i will be fishing Pine top AZ. Be cool.

8. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,568
    C'mon man, all this build up....get in the game! You've got me more excited for you than you are. :emoji_wink:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. jjdbike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,106
    Thanks everyone who contributed to the conversation, i.e., WR.

It's self evident that the best teacher is experience. We all know the value and importance of putting in time.

I like to share what I've learned from my native corner of the country assuming some of it is generalizable - transferable. I enjoy the conversation. I have and will continue to share what I've learned about fishing in this area. I have read everything I could get my hands on specific to surf fishing the SoCal surf. I also read and discuss techniques here w/ you all bring to contribute and to flatten mown learning curve, potentially doing the same for others.

For me, the value of this website to me is twofold. 1st sharing knowledge, perspectives and experience, and just as valuable, the camaraderie.

In general, I find the SoCal surf fishing crew here, are friendly, helpful and generally share good vibes.

I am grateful to say that I am lucky to have bumped into and found some friends here, some of them I have fished with, and hope to share a beach and compare notes w/ more.

I am also glad to say that we've found a house that we like in North County and are putting in an offer this morning. It's in a 55 & over community. It's got just enough space, enough for us and visitors. It's got several outdoor living spaces, has space for my charcoal grill and smoker, and a two car garage too room for my fishing gear. When I re-up my CA fishing license, it will likley be a residential vs out of state.

Spent time visiting family and grandkids last night. That, the heat, and jet lag got the best of me and I overslept this morning. No matter, I spent a couple hours organizing gear and timing rigs. The next couple of days I'll hit it hard at first light. Lining my spots up today.

Tight lines and best regards,
    JD

10. jus bigguns

jus bigguns Troutmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,782
    Boat:
    Nitro

11. jus bigguns

jus bigguns Troutmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,782
    Boat:
    Nitro
    Hey, The main thing is you have a plan. Most people are minute to minute. I live in Ramona, Takes me 40 minutes to the parking lot at my favorite beach. Perch killer knows my 20. I love living in the country with my Donkeys and only an 1acre and a 1/2. But i do loathe the drive to the beach. Congrats on the new Pad.

12. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,256
    You may think about holding off a little longer . . . big surf, winds, possible heavy rain, etc. on the horizon from Kay through the weekend. Tomorrow might be best opportunity, otherwise I would wait it out till at least Mon/Tues. But that's just me.

13. jjdbike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,106
    Thanks bud,
    Yes rural living, having sone space has an awful lot of benefits. And, I always thought donkeys were very cool. They look fun.
    The pad’s not mine yet. Still trying to figure out how we’ll pay for it.
    I’ll let ya know how this plan pans out. Been out and around several beach’s since we arrived on Monday. Seen many people w/ fishing poles in hand, not one was bent.
    Today I’m focused on learning a couple areas & revisiting a couple techniques.
    Will report back.
    Best regards,
    JD

14. jjdbike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,106
    Thanks brother,
    It’s been a difficult process if I’m honest. I truly loved my old life. Loved my job, challenging but rewarding. Loved my north east Atlantic coast, in my blood, part of my identity and in my blood. Only place I’ve ever known. We’re leaving many dear friends and beloved neighbors.
    Other than my wife. His son, & his kids, I fear we’ll feel isolated. We’ll need to figure it out. The prices and cost of living here has me pretty spooked.
    We’ll make the best of it.
    Fishing is my happy place.
    JD

15. jjdbike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,106
    Yes I’m looking at today as a last shot till storm passed. There may be a short window tomorrow morning but that’s iffy. I’ll be back at it sometime next week when things settle. Hope the weeds don’t get too bad.
    I’ll report back.
    Tight lines!
    JD

16. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +63,873
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I ended up in a liver punishment session last night, if possible, I will head down to a patch of mixed reef tonight.. have a bunch of donuts and pizza leftovers from work that need disposal...

17. Vito1023

Vito1023 Vito
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,691
    I may have missed the post where you might have mentioned why you’re move to San Diego, it seems like the fishing is actually better back east ( not sure where your moving from ) as you stated it’s very costly here, a lot of people here are considering moving somewhere that’s not so expensive? Sorry if that’s to personal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,808
    Boat:
    It floats
    Good luck to you man, you are definitely going against the tide! There is an exodus of people leaving because of your spooks. It’s only getting worse.

19. YNW_FISHY

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,095
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    I'm on my way out, and yes you can find much better surf fishing ANYWHERE on the east or gulf coast

20. jjdbike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,106
    Yes,
    I love my NE Atlantic surf fishing, trout fishing in cool clear streams , lush green forests, seasons, elbow room etc..
    Not moving here for the quality of the surf fishing. I’m moving here to support family, i.e., youngest son, his wife & our grandchildren. I choke on the crowds, traffic, absolutely insane real estate prices, lack of seasons, insufficient water, etc…
    Bottom line, moving for family, not better fishing. While I’m here, I’m gonna fish.
    Back to my original topic:
    I got out at 1st light at a reefs spot is n S Encinitas. By the time I figured out the lay of the land and got set up, tide was rising fast and weeds we’re getting thick, Had a nice calico on a swim bait but dropped it in the wash.
    Moved n to north end of Carlsbad almost Oceanside. Had a hand full of Gulp sand worms chews up, ripped in half and ripped off hook. Couldn’t hook one. I assume it was tiny surf perch.
    Trying to figure out if I wanna target bass on reef or Hali on mixed terrain tomorrow morning.
    Tight lines,
    JD