DM 7/20am

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by skrilla, Jul 20, 2021.

1. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,208
    Down the ramp at the crack of 8:45. Waves 1-3ft but with a second or 2 shorter interval than yesterday. This plays a role you'll read how later.

Easy pickens on bigger sand crabs today. Pinky tip to thumb size and scattered plentily. Saw the first bean charging the skinny at 8:55. Wave recedes and I spy that ever familiar divot in the sand. Sweet, it must be feeding time!

Before going full auto I go bean stalking first. Watching lone wolves sliding up and down. I take note they're only charging during the bigger sets. The waves are coming in more frequently which murks the skinny and helps hide my stature, or so I like to think. There's not much of a lull between sets but there is between the bigger ones. Slight push to the North keeping the reef salad away. I calibrate my timing, position myself in front of a rip, and go to work.

In the next hour I go 0 for 3 on the right kind. Here's what it looked like. Beans doing their best yellowtail impression...
    20210720_100423.jpg

There are holes in the vicinity that must of been holding micro perch because the row on some offerings were also getting picked clean.

I kept working, being patient and only firing fresh picked sand crabs during the bigger sets. Finally bite #4 produces a drag screamer.
    20210720_114301.jpg

This one did not like to have it's picture taken so you guys get the mud skin pose. Released to hopefully help bump some of your KOTB numbers soon.

The rest of the morning I missed 3 more with one absolutely sling shotting my line and rig right back at me. Action died down right about when the tide started exposing the sand bar.

2. Smokey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +540
    Nice report. Looks like a nice one there. Way to watch for them. Nicely done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. torykian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +694
    Great report. Love the crack of comment.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,096
    Nice one Len, I’m thinking the we think a lot alike. Just like you chumming sand crabs with your feet, I also pay attention to the waves, however only when the surf is over 3’.

5. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,208
    Multiple discovery/simultaneous invention. That or we took advice from the same guys. :emoji_laughing: