Dodos everywhere…

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Treble Chuck, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Treble Chuck

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +338
    Name:
    Chuck
    8/10/22 A job fell through and we had time to take the 14’ western eagle skill out, we checked the Surfline cams and it looked like light breeze with little to no wind swell so we headed to shelter island. Launched, got a 1/2 scoop of big sardines and headed out to the N. 9 mile around 12:30pm. About 5 miles out the water color turned light blue and around 73, started seeing terns working, picking at the surface. Right along the same temp break we found our first kelp, easily spotted nice dorados under the kelp and making big circles, partner and I went to pin on some fresh live baits and heart break, when we stopped the live well pump had lost its prime and it killed off 3/4’s of the bait. Oh well prime it again and pin on some swimmers and he’s on, heartbreak again, find out he tied on a 15lb leader and buttoned his drag up too tight. Oh well, we do some more long soaks, 5 long passes and slow trolled dines with no bites. Threw everything at the fish including crocs and micro jigs, chummed chunk and flylined chunks. No avail. We kept heading west and found 3 more paddy’s some with dozens of females one with some big bulls and one larger school in open water that some terns alerted us too. Jumping, multicolored all in amazing clear warm water. Trust me we did it all besides troll a buck tail or a bonitia feather (heard on let’s talk hook up) but insane. I’ve never heard of or seen so much life in the coastal waters.

also to the kooks in huge fancy boats who drove right up into our paddy while we were taking our first pass; check yourselves. It’s insane we sit 10” above the water you suck that bad at spotting fish or paddy’s and you have to follow a tiny *** boat like ours to find fish. Embarrassing

lastly we tried again out of Oceanside the next afternoon but the ocean was to whipped up so we motored around the harbor. Met a private charter skipper on his boat in the back bay and he said he hooked two dorado 2 miles out of the harbor on slow trolled sardines.

find your own fish. We got skunked but at least I’ll never poach someone else’s spot.

9F144D53-BDBF-4290-92F2-3CEB691FB5BE.jpeg

08A5A9A7-AECD-4519-B6B2-A32E54D804F4.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,296
    Boat:
    It floats
    It’s bad out there, zero etiquette

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  3. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Love dodos... If they're here, sooner or later they'll stare eating your bait...
    Nice try... Too bad about the other boat...
    Butch

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Hook1fred

Hook1fred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Boat:
    Red Ranger
    I was out on my Parker a while back catching yellowtail off a refrigerator door sized paddy. I was on a nice yellow and had drifted a few hundred feet and here comes a 18 foot westcoaster aluminum full speed and pulls right in the paddy. Not next to, not near but in the paddy. I land my yellow and pull back up and yell at the guy. He said I wasn’t fishing the paddy and that I was far away. I give him a few choice words and take a picture of him and his boat in case I see him at the launch.

some people have ZERO etiquette.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Rattus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +126
    Name:
    Brian
    Kudos to you for finding the paddies in your smaller boat! Some people are just plain sorry. The silver lining is skill and knowledge will beat out the clueless in the long run.

6. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,296
    Boat:
    It floats
    It happens with the cattle boats too. My buddy who runs a charter on a Parker had to ruin a cattle boat captain for sliding right into him and his paddy with a full load of customers. Told him to come meet him at his slip. Guy never showed lol

Same day, we were out, had a nice paddy all to ourselves, all hanging fish and some kook slid up 20’ away all his buddies all backlashes and snapped fish off. I just said, “really? you are obviously brand new” didn’t go off like my buddy.

7. Fishnagent

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +747
    Boat:
    fish cat
    Good job for getting out there and giving all you had. Sorry to hear about the poacher, sadly happens often. I'm sure you will get them next time.

8. Treble Chuck

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +338
    Name:
    Chuck
    It’s so good to see all the life out there right now, pick your day and give others space. I wish I took a picture of the boat driving right into the paddy, might have to make a thread of boats that do such barbarian actions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Professionull

Professionull Active Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    94 Invader CC
    Yesterday there was literally 30 boats poaching 1 paddy. I'm sure a few were catching them but what a joke! There are too many rookies out there that only know how to fish bait and don't know how to cast. I went 3 miles south of them to find wide open tuna and doritos with maybe 3 boats off in the distance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Hook1fred

Hook1fred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Boat:
    Red Ranger
    i still have the picture of the guy that drove into the paddy that I was fishing. I’ve seen him on sdfish. Should I put him on blast

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,296
    Boat:
    It floats
    Gotta learn some how lol

• Agree Agree x 3