Does anyone here use popping corks?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by jiggerjohn, Nov 2, 2019.

1. jiggerjohn

jiggerjohn Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm primarily a freshwater light jig angler, with treks to the Outer Banks (East Coast) of North Carolina for salt work.
    I'm now now back from our annual Fall Outer Banks week, and it was largely a success due to the rather amazing FP3 (fishingwithpettys.com) popping cork rig !The high winds and wicked cross currents prevented standard jig casting, so I was mostly restricted to grassy bay areas, bridges, and dock sections. I started with one of these very LOUD poppers and soon snagged & lost it to a bridge piling, leaving me only one . So, worried, I purchased a few highly touted local popping corks so as not to get caught short. But I tried these local models in the choppy, murky waters that I faced and not one of them called in a single fish - ONLY the NOISY, clacking FP3 would produce! ( I babied it, and prize it now so much that I carefully packed it in the car glove compartment for the long drive home, rather than risk harming the float by cramming it in with other tackle!!). In particular, I discovered a small bayside town with an extensive walkway of boardwalks and short wooden piers that, though picturesqe, had no one fishing. I half-heartedly started working my sound-producing cork and a small homemade bucktail jig, immediately witnessing the bobber plummet down after a pop near the planks, and got a hard fighting black sea bass! This went on for sometime throughout mid day (wife & son had to drag me off the planks!!) - apparently the loud pop of the FP3 coerced hidden fish from out under the wooden slats! Gives me incentive to apply the FP3 popping cork method (and my jigs!) much more to wooden dock areas everywhere , including FRESHWATER! Also at night- these rigs can easily be heard even among wind & waves! I'm wondering if anyone here (on the West Coast) has had much experience with this particular rigging?

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,504
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I have heard of people using popping corks here locally and not doing well. One might suppose it would work on fish like corvina though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    In the olden days and probably still today a wooden Top / Turnip shaped splasher / cork if you will in front of a Bonito jig from the piers and jetties . Same principle maybe just a little different tool . It would kill them when they were in the area . Tight lines WR

#3 William Ritchie, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,353
    It would be tricky for a lot of the fishing here since the water is a lot deeper in most saltwater spots than on the east coast. A lot more of the main target species are bottom oriented as well. I do agree with the comments above that it might work well for surface fish like corvina, bonies, and especially cudas. I can also see them working in the South Bay where the water is a lot more shallow.