Does anyone really fish in the Rain here in Cali.

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by justinjoy, Dec 6, 2019.

1. justinjoy

justinjoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Name:
    JAY
    I moved here from Washington State. Fishing Salmon and Steelhead. I am used to fishing in all weather especially the rain. 70% of my fishing was done in the rain.

But my bigger question is, is it even worth fishing the piers or surf in the rain? Not that I catch anything at either but I might have better luck in the rain HAHAHA. I like how I talk myself into going fishing.

But what are your thoughts on fishing in the rain here in Cali.?

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,604
    I have not in So. Calif., just too many nice days to go out so why bother with the bad weather. In my younger days in No. Calif. you always prepared for the rain & I can recall many pier & shore sessions in SF Bay starting out dry and no action whatsoever then rain started and the bite was on. Surf & jetties, probably not a good idea.

3. justinjoy

justinjoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Name:
    JAY
    Perch Killer I have had enough crawling around wet and frozen rocks in WA. I may as well break out my Rain Gear and hit the Pier tomorrow see what happens.

Nor Cal. has the same weather system as Wa it seems.

4. jetshop

jetshop Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I went out twice last week while it was raining to Crystal Pier and the north jetty. Didn't catch anything but it was nice and peaceful since nobody was out there. I tried these plastic grubs and Berkeley Gulp ghost shrimp as bait. (I actually haven't caught anything off those yet, must be screwing up somehow.)

5. VeeDubGuy02

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Name:
    Tom
    I'll be out there this weekend. May join you, let me know !

6. justinjoy

justinjoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Name:
    JAY
    I am game for Saturday or Sunday. I can't do any yard work as it will be raining hahaha But I can go fishing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. justinjoy

justinjoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Name:
    JAY
    I have only caught fish on Gulp from fishing deep sea half day trips. Other than that I never caught anything off it, I see they work.

This is a different kind of fishing for me so it is learning what to and how to fish all over again.

What I learned so far is the fish bite when they are ready too. Or I am fishing where the fish are not lol.

8. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,168
    Most of us don’t know diddledy about fishing in the rain, because it usually only rains like 3 days out of the year here! Just no way to log the hours! :emoji_joy:

I say go for what you know. You’re a rain fisherman, then fish in the rain. It might kick your game up a couple of notches to be in familiar conditions. Just like they call some horses “mudders” if they run better on wet tracks. Get out there and let us know how you do.

FWIW the boys and I had no luck on the pier last weekend after the storm. Need to restock mackerel for chondryicthes bait for the bays, so we might take another swing this weekend. If we do, I’ll hit you up.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. justinjoy

justinjoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Name:
    JAY
    I am willing to help add to the Mackerel chase just let me know I am about to head to the Pier shortly anyways what I get I will let you know and you can pick it up I will keep what I get for you and the boys.

10. oldfogey

oldfogey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,448
    Name:
    Mike
    I fished in the rain this morning....landed a couple spotties. Last time i fished the rain I KNEW it was gonna rain so planned on staying close to the car so i could get out of it....but the fish were biting and next thing i knew i was way the hell down the shoreline from my car. Then(of course) it started to rain hard:emoji_poop:. I headed toward the car but at 68 yrs old I only run if the cops or the "Queen"(my wife) is chasing me. I got soaked, laughing my a-- off at myself....but they were biting.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  11. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,341
    Name:
    Perry
    I too recently moved here from Washington in Aug. It's a completely different fishing experience for me. And yes, the good weather is so nice here that it makes getting out in the rain a challenge. But like you, I'm so used to fishing in the rain (if we didn't up north, we would never fish). The thing I found is that guys on this site, and fishermen in San Diego in general are VERY helpful. Unlike the culture of zipper lip where I was in WA, the fellows here are happy to help a newbe out. I'm getting ready to start concentrating on surf perch and spot croakers. It would be fun to hook up together sometime. Like the guys told me when I first got here. The best way to learn to fish the area, is to fish the area... and if you have any questions at all, the fishermen on this site will be happy to help.

12. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,693
    Yes..some of my personal bests in both fresh and salt have come during the rain..

13. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,250
    Boat:
    SR-18
    The fish are already wet, they don’t care... however if the weather churns things up so it’s harder for fish to find the bait it can be harder to get bit. I evaluate the conditions in the water more than conditions above. Once the water is “blown out” I’ll wait until conditions improve.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  14. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,341
    Name:
    Perry
    Queue, this is one of the things I’m finding the hardest to learn. Having been a river/lake fishermen for many years, surf fishing is alien to me. I know it takes years to learn to read the river, so I’m finding the same about surf. Then there is the added level of what different fish do in different parts of the surf under different conditions.... My hats off to you guys that can consistently catch fish in the surf. BRAVO!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Chazzman

Chazzman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +220
    I caught my pb shore halibut in the rain. I definitely don’t prefer the rain but I’ll fish in it if I have the time and inclination -unless- it’s after a fresh rain. We have so many long periods between rain that the fresh runoff can make quite a mess. I’ve seen lots of trash in the ocean right after a storm so I’ll happily wait it out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,376
    I fish in the light rain sometimes. Once my socks start getting wet I go home. Need to get some actual rain clothes.

17. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,672
    A light rain is my favorite weather to fish in! Keeps some angling pressure off the water and--in my belief--raises the activity level of the fish. Less light penetration means they're more comfortable moving around from their hiding spots

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. justinjoy

justinjoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Name:
    JAY
    The Folks on this forum are awesome and helpful...

When I first move to Wa. It was a learning curve from my days of lake mead fishing for stripper's and Planted trout. I lost a lot of cannon balls and corkies and hooks. every rock felt like a bit fishing the rivers. I met a guy who helped me learn the ways of fishing salmon and steelhead. first fish was from a buzz bomb from dash point pier lol. Then the next lesson was Puyallup river. Pink season. Once I got the feel it was all over from there. every weekend I was fishing and or shooting.

My home rivers were Puyallup & Green but we travelled to cowlitz quite often or any river that had good fishing.

I am still learning the surf fishing I will not give up until i get it figured out. and I have more than enough salmon rods to try out also.

Your More than welcome to come out with me if you want.

19. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,693
    I lived along the snohomish river for a short period of time.

20. Bear6813

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,950
    Name:
    Chet
    Boat:
    Needs work
    Last New Years Eve I went out in a helluva downpour and landed 60" plus leopard sharks. We know fish est good at the onset of bad weather