Dog Beach Halibut

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Jamiesonmaunder, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Jamiesonmaunder

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all, Ive recently moved to SD from the UK and live in Del Mar. I have been hitting Dog Beach on the lagoon side and wanted to get any info I can. I’m dying to catch halibut and wanted any tips I can. I have been using the mullet gulp and had very limited luck. I was wondering if live bait is the way to go? If so what is the best live bait, and what kind of rig is good to use? Thanks for any advise...

2. K-Bo Smack

K-Bo Smack Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +609
    Name:
    Keath
    Welcome to San Diego! You found a good resource for surf/shore fishing. I've spent many hours gathering tips & advice from the enthusiastic and devoted crew associated with this forum. Your time will not be wasted!

The bite has been, and continues to be a little challenging so far this year. The rains and subsequent discharge into the bays and surf have been a real bummer, but things are looking up. The water has cleaned up and starting to warm.

The Gulp! mullets you mentioned do work. Drop shot or C--Rig the chartreuse, camo, pink, or white grubs for spotties or halibut. Live bait works. Hardbaits, swimbaits, and irons work. In the end it comes down to how much time you have available and how much of that time you are willing to dedicate to having a line in the water.
    I'm relatively new to the forum... hopefully some of the vets will chime in soon.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Jamiesonmaunder

Ratings:
    +24
    Thank you so much for the fast reply K-Bo. I’m dying to catch a legal Hali, and I will try all of the above. What is the best time/tide for halibut?

I will put in every minute I can, however I don’t want be casting just for the hell of it if nothing is around. What is a good spot on Dog Beach, if you’ve spent much time there?
    Thanks

Jamie

4. K-Bo Smack

Ratings:
    +609
    Name:
    Keath
    I have not logged any hours on Dog Beach. I live in north county and typically limit my travels south for special occasions like Shore Pounder events. However...most flat sloping, sandy beaches have potential to hold halibut. Dog beach, silver strand, blacks, Del mar, Cardiff, they all are good options.

5. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Jamie, I don't know your specific area but you'll want to concentrate on sandy spots near structure--weeds, rocks, etc. Drop-offs are good, and any channels with moving water are solid places to try as well.
    These are all oriented towards lagoon or bay fishing. Google "reading the surf" if you want tips on where to find fish in the waves.
    If you're using lures, use the larger sizes--nothing under 4.5 inches or 11.5cm. This will increase your odds of getting a legal.
    Oh, and the beginning of an incoming tide is a good time to start.

#5 mattgulptosser, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Jamiesonmaunder

Ratings:
    +24
    Nice! Thanks for the info K-Bo. I will persevere and go and check for these types of spots during low tide. I heard someone pulled out two 30” around dog beach last night, just need to hunt for them.

7. Jamiesonmaunder

Ratings:
    +24
    Hey Matt, I’m fishing at dog beach in Del Mar on the lagoon side nearer to del mar race track.i will definitely check out surf reading as I know it’s super important for many species. Are they feeding at night or mainly when the suns up? Would you say that lures are better than live bait?
    Thanks
    Jamie

8. K-Bo Smack

Ratings:
    +609
    Name:
    Keath
    Good luck! We are fortunate to live with miles of coast an opportunity everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,575
    Outgoing tide, cast into merging currents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. acheng1021

acheng1021 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148
    Hey man!! I usually fish here. If you ever see me say hi!! Mainly on the weekends.

I was here not to long ago using my abu Garcia baitcaster. Caught about a 10in Hali. I was using a 3/8oz warbaits underspin and a keitech with it.

11. acheng1021

acheng1021 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148
    I’m debating on going out tomorrow (Sunday) probably at around 8/9am. If you go... I usually sit under a big tree near the bird sign in a blue chair.

12. Bear6813

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,337
    Name:
    Chet
    Boat:
    Needs work
    I think a drop shot rig works fantastic in The bays but fishing from the beach in my opinion the best bet is Lucky Craft flash minnow 110 I've got more halibut on that off the beach than anything Aurora black, sardine sexy aji are best producing colors that lure. look for structure like troughs or holes and rips fish on the outside edges where the current dumps into them

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,972
    Going for only Hali’s is a GRIND. I always lose patience. The recommendations above are all great, and larger baits will produce larger fish on average, at the expense of numbers.
    Smaller baits also work in the bays/channels, which also have the upside of keeping you engaged with bass catches.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,929
    In my limited shore fishing experience I’ve managed to land only 2 halibut both short both on camo sand worms...I have heard of all the aforementioned baits working...also heard the lucky craft pointers work pretty good too...I’m not sure if the grunion runnis still on...but I’ve heard those make some pretty good halibut bait too..good luck...and enjoy the sd weather

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Jamiesonmaunder

Ratings:
    +24
    Hey man, il look out for you. Il be there this weekend for sure!

16. Chriwilson

Chriwilson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I've had luck with this technique, just to the South of you Jamiesonmaunder
    Torrey Pines, working from the bridge south along the bluffs and back