Don’t know what it is but it’s huge!

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Fish fool, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Fish fool

Fish fool Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Name:
    Nick Brooks
    Boat:
    5 person inflatable
    Caught and released this guy it was about half the size of my body! and I’m 5’11” it was literally gold colored caught it down at the San Diego river by fashion valley 6-12-22

B8C87817-0395-47E7-A694-230DB9AD91C7.jpeg

CCB5FE10-51F8-4254-BE21-2B8731A18EF8.jpeg

C57FBD48-0D32-4EE2-9BFF-11FD4FE266C6.jpeg

1181BCD6-2FAA-4A46-9405-0349207211DF.jpeg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,621
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Beautiful carp. Cool colors

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,242
    Fancy carp. Got some koi genes it it.

4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,157
    Funnelmouth bassssss.

5. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,402
    Bugle mouth bass, sewer bass, mud marlin, golden bonefish, scaled whale, golden bass, ghetto trout.

Any more names?

Fun to catch though, way better fight than largemouth bass.

6. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,819
    Boat:
    It floats
    You must have only caught small large mouth bass…

7. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,621
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Let me know when you catch a 40 lb largemouth .. and that's not even half as big as a carp actually gets.. a five lb IV carp would spank a five lb largie and take his lunch money in a heartbeat.

8. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,819
    Boat:
    It floats
    I know Carp fight hard, my personal best at the all American on an 8” goldfish was 35. But it doesn’t sound like you ever caught a double digit drag peeling bass either. It’s a whole different animal than a 5lb bass

Hence my “small largemouth” reference

9. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,621
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I dunno. Never caught or tried for a DD, unless the whole trot line thing counts (maybe), if so, every single one seemed dead to me, while a gut hooked flathead would still be thrashing on the line like crazy. Bass are pansy fish though, zero stamina for one thing, the lack of equipment and body shape to pull hard for another. Out in the IV, they are by far the weakest fish pound for pound and survivability wise I think. I would also say they are the least suited of the fish out there for the environment too, so I get that part of it. For what little it's worth, my PB carp came on a live craw, 8 lb mono in JMS reservoir in '97, 42-9 on the outside scale that used to be at Westmoreland meats, chased that fish over at least a mile of shoreline and had barely enough line, fight probably lasted twenty minutes at least, hell, maybe forty... Kinda doubt any bass I have ever heard of has pulled drag for half an hour...

10. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,819
    Boat:
    It floats
    I don’t disagree Carp fight hard. Spent many summers as a kid fishing Morena for free to dispose of carp, they are hard fighters.

There are many variables with bass, certain times of year, they can be lethargic. Small bass usually don’t fight hard upto 5lbs. I’ve had many fish upto 10 pounds rip drag and dog harder than most carp I’ve caught including gnarly air. My pb double digit spooled drag on me multiple times on 25lb on a curado 300e. Including my personal best carp at the all American (not including big cats), I’ve never had a fresh water fish rip drag as hard as that bass. All the big carp by catches I’ve had including last year 19lb carb that got mouth hooked on a crank bait never pulled near as hard, just a different fight in my opinion. Seem to use their profile to pull against while a big bass will do what ever it takes to get free. You’ve probably caught waaaaaaaay more carp than me and because I target bass, I have probably caught way more big bass than you.

My jab was at dmorgan because he’s the resident expert and I’m sure he’s never pulled on a big bass

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,242
    Carp have extra gene copies of myoglobin, not only in their muscle tissue but also their brains, making their cells extremely resistant to hypoxia since they can retain O2 better. This makes them difficult to tire out, and they usually have a 2nd or 3rd run in them just as you're reeling them in.

If carp were more predatory that opportunistic (like they are in Lake MI where they chase gobies, since the zebra mussels have devastated the plankton), I think America would fall in love with them as a sport fish.

After all, they really do embody the spirit of America: they eat any and everything, grow to obscene gluttonous proportions, proliferate like mad, and reek havoc on the environment.

I have also never caught a big bass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,402
    I have caught 9 lb bass and carp, no contest, carp outpulls by several times. Never caught 18 lb bass and carp but I would expect the comparison still holds.

13. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,402
    FYI, subject matter expert opinion that backs up my assertion can be found at Don’t know what it is but it’s huge! , posts 9 and 11.

14. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,819
    Boat:
    It floats
    Most people fish light line and smaller rods for carp, of course every carp will seem to pull harder compared to a bass on a 20lb flipping stick until you get a jumbo bass.

How many of you carp guys are fishing swim bait rods? I guarantee unless you are in a boat, you ain’t hardly ever landing a double digit bass on 6lb.
    I can’t think of a carp that ever got away from shore on my 6-8lb set up. I can’t say the same with bass

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,402
    Bass are found around stickups and other snags. Carp are often found in featureless areas. So it is hardly a fair comparison for shore fishing. Fishing from a boat, bass usually head towards open water and light line still gets them. Even if they do tangle in brush or weeds, give them some slack and they will head towards open water. A bass fights hard (pound for pound) compared to a crappie or a bullhead but not compared to a carp, let alone compared to a tuna or even the lowly bat ray. Still fun to catch though.

16. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,819
    Boat:
    It floats
    Carp not next to stick ups and structure? You must not fish the back country much…

Bass are not always found around stick up and snags

Deep water fall/winter big bass fight harder than carp

Zero comparison to a crappie and a bull head unless you’re talking a 1lb bass. Again, I am talking double digit size.

Late winter bass/early spring can be lethargic, there are many variables.

Your tangled method doesn’t work as often as you think. It can work.

Regardless of what you think, I have caught pound for pound bass that fight waaaaaaay harder than carp.

Bringing pelagic fish into the argument is pointless

I seriously question your bass fishing experience from your entire reply above

#16 camobass, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  17. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,621
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Eh.. five lb carp vs five lb bass is no contest. Sorry green bass guys, but remember all those times you thought you had a big bass and a cat or carp was on the end.. no, I haven't cought a DD, but bass are pansies... Good on the dudes who chase the green ones (that said, not me) they taste worse than a carp, don't fight as hard, are actually easier to catch. Just saying...

18. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,819
    Boat:
    It floats
    Again, talking big bass, DD not 5lb bass which could be considered big. Big bass are way more aggressive than a 5lb bass.

If I had to compare to salt, carp fight like a White Sea bass and (big)bass fight like a yellow

Catfish is a different story

Different strokes for different folks

19. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,082
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    a bass vs yellowtail ? come on, u r joking right? right ?

20. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,819
    Boat:
    It floats
    Hahaha , right!! I was making a comparison to yellow tail vs sea bass for bass vs carp. They can both pull hard. Obviously a yellow pulls way harder than a bass or you can institutionalize me now. A big double digit bass will rip drag and dog on a big rod like a yellow.
    My personal yellow is a 42 with many over 30. I’m dumb but I ain’t stupid