Done with the Liberty 6/30

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Fat Spottie, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,923
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Im over the Liberty, to many greenie private rods who don’t know how to get around. Feel free to fish it. I did alright today, but lost 8 yellowtail at the boat do to lack of cooperation from other anglers. Kept 2 Bonies and 2 YT. My Dad kept 2 YT as well. The barge is getting its bait Inshore... a bunch of baby yellowfin croaker are in the pens and on the boats.

DEADE591-C67E-4946-977D-BEC5AF2DCD6A.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. NextMikeSays

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +642
    It’s annoying when people don’t follow their lines or move when you have a fish on. I’ve seen some non regulars who think they own the corner and won’t move for anyone and elbow any one that gets next to them. It’s the crews job to set the rules and make sure people abide by them. Sometimes you need some salty deckhands to regulate a and get all the newbies in order.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,019
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft

4. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,001
    Name:
    Chris
    If you’re going to tip (should be anyway), flip it the deckhands way when you board. They’ll throw the elbows for you ha.

5. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,888
    It your job to dance! party boat fishing you need to be prepared for that & you should expect to be on your own! Need to re-act quickly to avoid or get yourself out of predicament...
    Cant blame the crew, other passengers, etc....
    When the chaos breaks out & your fishing with 60 of your not so close friends, casualties are expected.
    cant expect 3 deckhands to control everything when you have 60 on the boat & the fish are aggressively biting.
    Nothing is going to change on another boat, its not like The NLA will have less tourists if they were doing 3/4-full days.....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,923
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Dude, I’ve been doing this since I was 8 years old and I will say this is not something I would normally experience. Today was a slow day with 4 deckhands at the rails.. there should be no problem what so ever. I’m saying that as a deckhand as well. When someone hooks up it’s impossible to be the only “dancer”. If that was the case half the boat would been sprawled out on the deck (and news flash, that’s not how a person should behave).

As a matter of fact I am blaming other passengers as well, they should have common sense to gtfo of the stern when using a flatflall or a yo-yo, you basically fk over everyone around once you do that. It got to the point today where one of the deckhands has to say fk it and started cutting off anyone who wasn’t fly lining in a tangle. Same goes with flylining, it’s in their best intrest as well so they remain free of tangles and hook up without a hitch. Also I’m not blaming the deckhands, I’m tired of the passengers being idiots. Everyone needs to do the Tuna Shuffle, I’m not paying $155 to watch some dude wank himself off in the corner screwing everyone over.

#6 Fat Spottie, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,923
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Also I have another boat in mind that I’ve worked on which is very much under the radar and has proven to be fishier in terms of counts.. I don’t need to be on the boat that feels the niciest, just fishy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,888
    Liberty has had consistently day in & day out better counts than the mission belle & booger........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. GKR1

GKR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +260
    Its beginning of summer and holiday weekend there will be a lot of BS. Majority do not know tuna shuffle.
    Stay up bow and throw iron!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,923
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Belle has a better passenger to fish count bud, deckhands on the Libby admit it too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,923
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    That what I resorted to at the end of the trip. A while back I had a rant about it and planned out true for most people tossing the iron.

12. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,907
    Way to go dad! He got some yellows! Sorry for the bad experience but I’m stoked you got your dad out there and he was able to hold his own and catch YT despite the noncooperative passengers....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,923
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Hey man, I’ve been saving up for some overnights in the late summer and fall, you down for some as well? Oh and this is one of those cases when the Liberty would come to mind, there is nowhere near as many greenies then. Thinking about the chief too, it’s remodeling job turned her into a beaut.. still listing to starboard though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,907
    Sounds good. Remember that’s Plan B.........Text me and we’ll work something out. Maybe pops could come too???

15. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,849
    Name:
    Kyle
    I was on the Mission Belle, had a great trip. Pretty much everyone got out of my way except one couple who pretended to not understand English. I know this because when it benefited then to understand English magically they could :).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,907
    Glad they didn’t “get in the way” of your good time.....

Thanks for the report.

17. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,138
    It' like that with everyboat brother, trust me there' greens all day that steps on a 16 day that has never touched a rod in his or her lifetime.

18. AWilliams

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +244
    I agree...as much as I like to fish the Liberty...way too many noobs or *** holes who won't move and follow their fish or bait. The bow gets crowded too with jigslingers.

19. Tnel73

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,111
    I call it the "DICK DANCE" cause you got to be a dick to the under developed in order to catch your fish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,907
    I agree but it’s a choice we make when we check in and pay. As previously stated, it’s pretty much the same with every boat.

Your choice is to “master the disaster” and triumph despite chaos and pandemonium or pay through the nose for an ultra light limited load, 6 pack or private charter. As previously stated even long range boats “have noobs.” The sports boat operators count on the revenue.

The alternative to keep these sportboat operators in business is to go on trips even in the off season or when they ain’t catchin nuthin to support their families so they stay in business........

We have a great resource here in San Diego. Something we love but take for granted. When the counts are good they run more boats and book more “noobs” but when the fishin sucks, we locals, don’t go either. The boats sit. Talk to Chris Randel on the Chief......He went BK with his own boat, the “Indian.” In the late 90’s and early 2000’s when the Albacore were here, there weren’t enough boats for the amount of people who wanted in.......Then a few years of “bad fishing” and I’m telling you, this is bad tuna fishing by standards of years past.....Yes we’re scratching some bluefin here and there but the boats should be at limits of Tuna (BF, YF and Alb) with dodos in the mix by now.......

So what I’m trying to say is, this beloved fishery needs all of us to suck it up and be thankful we have the opportunity to catch what we catch when they’re biting. Teach a “noob” and hopefully he’ll pass it on.

People like this forum over BD, in general, because we share information and help “noobs.” I have young relatives that by definition, “are noobs.” We tend to tolerate noobie children but we can’t or won’t tolerate noobie adults. We help noobie women, but we won’t/don’t help newbie men? Seems a bit arrogant or hypocritical and more BD like.

Perhaps there should be a section in the forum called “Newbies Only - ask any question and/or share your bad fishing experiences.” You may find they are pissed off at us, the 20% that catch 80% of a boat’s catch because of “our attitudes.?”

Nuff said. Fish on

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List