Double split rings and rear treble hook on crankbaits

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by spoonminnow, Oct 2, 2019.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +924
    Years ago I might have read or heard about the advantage of using two split rings on a crankbait's rear treble hook. I just started trolling crankbaits for when the bite is tough and for some reason catch some quality fish especially in water 8' or less in lakes that aren't much deeper than 12' during late summer's slow transition to fall.

The reason for the double split ring is so fish don't have the leverage to unhook themselves especially when jumping out of the water. IT DEFINITELY WORKS ! As long as the hook set it good, they don't come unhooked especially when using zero stretch braid which allows that leverage.

Man do I hate it when a nice fish jumps and is gone!

2. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,092
    Something I’ve been experimenting with on a couple of cranks and spoons is replacing split rings and adding a quality bearing snap and then I can change out to single or treble hook in any size I feel is right for the job on any given day. I hope it works I was thinking the fish might have a harder time getting off the hook?

3. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,567
    I have been toying with the idea of replacing the rear treble with an assist hook and removing the front one. I mostly troll crankbaits in the salt behind sportboats at very low speeds. Tight lines

4. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,637
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    I was thinking the same thing

5. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,092
    I have a few that I’ve replace the front hook with a small spinner blade and I have caught fish on them trolling.

6. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +924
    Interesting idea.