dove opener 2019

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by fishnfreak, Jul 3, 2019.

1. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +892
    well its getting close. don't forget about lead.i have ammo from years past and going to Yuma to hunt. 3 days for 50 some bucks.. share with a friend makes it cheap a trip.. gas , hotel etc.

2. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,718
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Ya gonna enter the big breast contest at Spragues?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +892
    Ya,
    It's fun to see all the people and shoot the breeze., have to watch for rain now, those roads get bad quickly as you know.

4. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +892
    18 days to go until the opener, steel shot is in short supply ,I've been looking . If you don't have a DOJ background check on file, there's a waiting period , also you need a real ID or passport. Don't wait until the last minute or you'll be watching or staying home.
    Have a safe and great opener to everyone.
    Yuma is a option you can shoot lead, but need a ID to reenter California.

5. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,469
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    It's actually $65, $20 per day, plus$5 for some kind of migratory bird stamp we need. I'll see you out there!! This is our third yr. so still kinda rookieish but last year we drove waaaayy east scouting feilds and found the jackpot of dove fields. I just checked the ford navi and my spots are still there so we are super excited!!!! Good luck to all who venture into the HEAT.

6. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,469
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Last year we bought some of our ammo in yuma and it wasn't much more costly than our county.

7. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,469
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    hell ya !!! LOL

8. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,718
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    I see California is being sued by a group that believes this law is unconstitutional and is in the hands of a judge. I hope it is Judge Rodger Benitez from Imperial Valley (an avid outdoorsman) who struck down the ban on high capacity magazines. Bought all my ammo before July 1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +892
    Your smart, even with all the proper ID's it's a timely processing, the poor stores are going to be overwhelmed . Yesterday I needed a can of penetrating oil , they want to see my ID, and I am as old a Jesus. 18yrs old to buy oil.
    I hope the IV judge gets the case too. They have common sense , you don't live in the valley without it.
    The next 100 yrs will raise me out of the ground laughing at what they've dreamed up next.

10. jus bigguns

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +774
    Boat:
    Nitro
    went to yuma 3 days last week. Shoulder is still sore from shooting euros. shot over 150 in 3 days and there were lots more when i left. no other hunters, wardens, and the hotels havent jacked up prices yet. resturants were also empty.
    pick up your empty's folks

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. jus bigguns

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +774
    Boat:
    Nitro
    20 dollars a day for out of state lic.

12. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,015
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    How many beers did you drink??? (I know... shells)

13. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,718
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Ha, Ha, Ha....What happens in Yuma stays in Yuma.

They used to release thousands of pheasants in the IV just before pheasant season and all the hotels and motels would be loaded with hunters from out of town. A friend of mine lived on Old Hwy 111 on the way to Mexicali. He raised 200 pheasants every year and sold them for $25/ea to hunters who spent all their time in Mexicali drinking and playing with the painted ladies.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,015
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I heard stories of hunters converging on fields from all directions. It's a wonder more were not killed in cross fire! Bet more than a few got peppered!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,283
    Never seen that. I know a guy who got shot hunting the grain pile. You line up elbow to elbow and some ***hat took a shot at a low flyer down the line of hunters. Most fields are big enough that you can shoot from all directions and not hit anyone. Most people don't hunt in the fields but around the perimeter. Having pellets rain down on you is another story and happens all the time.

16. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,718
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    And you can’t imagine the amount of trash they left behind.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,718
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    I believe what Fisheromen was referring to was pheasant hunting in the IV when Fish & Game used to turn 50-75 pheasants loose in multiple alfalfa fields. The season didn’t start until 8:00 am. The pheasants were pen raised and tame as chickens so you could see them standing in the fields.

Hunters would line up on all four sides of a field and at 8:00 am start walking towards each other. You can bet hunters got shot on a regular basis to the point they discontinued the program.

You really didn’t need a shotgun. The pheasants wouldn’t fly. You were better off with a #2 iron and tee up on their heads. As teenagers we got a big kick out of cutting off a pheasant head and inserting a length of baling wire in the neck and sticking it in the alfalfa field near a road so just the head stuck up, then sit back and watch the out of town hunters spot the pheasant head from their cars and start blazing away (sometimes from their cars) while the pheasant head bounced back and forth.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +892
    you are are right i bring trash bags to pickup after them.if not your not hunting next year. these people have no respect for anyone or anyone.s property.one year i went up to Niland along the east highline canal , at midnight these idiots from LA show up noise ,music , F this and that beer bottles flying. in the morning theres nobody hunting , still sleeping it off.i wish those pieces of sh*t would have stayed home.
    if your going onto someones else's property uninvited dont be a ***, and leave trash. im sure you would be the first to call police if that happen to you.

safe hunting

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,015
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    This has always been the scourge of the shooting community. Pigs that would not clean up after themselves. More than one range has been shut down because of the trash! Never understood that mentality!

I was raised differently! Leave a place cleaner than you found it, and if you borrow something, you return it better than you got it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,392
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    When I hunted public and unposted properties . We would scout , set decoys the night before have some cover for the hunters in place , It really used to frost my A## when people would show up late park and walk right into the set , total disregard for equipment or other hunters . Then if you said anything they say " Its not my problem " you wouldn't believe how many have shot the decoys . Jerks that give us all a bad reputation ! Glad to now have some private land to shoot on . Shoot straight , stay safe !