dragging a jig?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by socalcustom, Apr 24, 2009.

1. socalcustom

socalcustom Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When you are dragging a jig ( shore fishing for bass) back toward shore, do you let the alge that gathers on it bother you?
    Does it effect the production?
    Am I wrong in tring to use a jig under this condition?

2. deadstick13

deadstick13 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I've had fish caught on the jig with moss in the mouth. If there is a lot of moss on the bottom, try throwing a medium sized senko, or even the hot dog! These baits sort of float over the moss layer, especially if you stay in close contact with your senko, you'll feel it start to settle on the moss, than lift your rod tip, or kind of swim it across the top. I do it slowly, and it usually does a pretty good job. Lot's of that nasty moss this time of year, I also like to do this method with an "IKA". Deadly!

3. GIIINick

GIIINick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you ever seen a big ball of moss crawling only to find it is a crawdad under neath? Me neither. Keep it looking natural.

4. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    Nick's right. If there is a lot of moss and your jig is getting buried in it, there is probably a better technique to be fishing (dropshot, senko, etc). Now if you are able to cast past the moss and it is only getting caught on the jig towards the end of the cast you can probably manage it. I don't know what lake you are fishing but if it has areas with bigger rocks or boulders, fish there. There will likely be less moss and you will have your best luck dragging a jig if you are fishing around rocks.

5. Bassgod

Bassgod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I drag a 3/4oz football jig allot these days. If I am getting moss on it every cast, I go back to a c-rig. Another thing you can do is hop the jig instead which will clear some of the moss off during the retrieve but not all of it.

6. socalcustom

socalcustom Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I have been using the sinko, well I actually use the Yum product, but I just like throwing the jig.
    I already figured that was going to be the answer, but I was hopeful that there might have been something I wasn't doing.

As far as which lakes I am fishing, well I moved to Austin, Texas so I have been jumping around. Lakes are everywere, Town Lake is bigger than San V and restricted to no motors (trolling motors are ok so you do see bass boats).