DVL 4/27 Algae Bloom Bonanza

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by OG MUDBONE, Apr 27, 2017.

1. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,047
    It's been 2 weeks since my last trip and man how quickly things change. Walked up to the dock and took a look at the water and it was pea soup, full on algae bloom. I've fished the bloom many times before and have had some great outings so I wasn't too concerned with the fishing, just bummed because of course I just cleaned and serviced all my reels.

Focused my efforts on fishing the shallow brush on the north side of the lake. Good senko bite up shallow, caught a number of them suspended in the brush. Almost all bites came right after ticking the brush when coming over it. A lot of soft bites as well where I wouldn't know I was bit until I went to move my bait. T-rig brush hog fished up and over the submerged brush also did well. Stuck a nicer one with a fat Ika on the inside edge of a main lake point where the algae wasn't as bad. Ended the day with 8 and had at least 6 short bites, many times I set the hook and came back with half my bait.

The algae was much thicker on the west end than the east end. Water temp according to the ff on the rental was around 68 on the NW end of the lake in the morning, up to 70ish in the afternoon, and a bit warmer near the marina. Saw lots of bird activity throughout the day, looked to be diving on fry along the shore. Beautiful day at the jewel, but man that algae gets everywhere.

image_zpsdwbewqex.jpg

image_zpsuzgzkb1d.jpg

image_zpsup3ce58a.jpg

image_zpsp9bkgrmg.jpg

image_zpsz7yhp54w.jpg

2. Art

Art Fishing Guide
    SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +453
    Boat:
    2014 Ranger Z520
    You found what I was fishing all last week. My reels needed a serious cleaning at the end of each trip. Glad you found them, well done.

3. surferjohn

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +771
    Boat:
    Lowe Stinger 175
    Thats a fatty!

4. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,047
    Thanks Art, DVL has been awesome with the water level up. Hey I don't mind picking up your scraps :D Man tell me about it, the algae kept building up in my guides as well causing friction and making it difficult to concentrate on fishing. On the bright side had the entire lake to myself.

5. Art

Art Fishing Guide
    SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +453
    Boat:
    2014 Ranger Z520
    Yeah it's crazy how few people are fishing DVL, especially with such a good bite. Oh well, more fish for us.

6. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,566
    Name:
    MattL
    All the fish posed for you with every fin in full sail. Nice ones.

7. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,047
    I think the resurgence of many of our SoCal lakes has everyone spread out, which is a good thing. Great fishing at many of our local lakes right now. I feel like DVL will only get better once the water level and clarity stabilizes, there's so much great structure in the lake now.

8. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,047
    Thank you. I think they were happy knowing I don't eat fish :)