DVL closed 3/-3/5 empty bass boat found circling

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Deepsand, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deepsand

Deepsand Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently they found an empty bass boat doing circles by saddle dam...may want to call before heading out...

2. G3Nick

G3Nick New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Re:DVL closed 3/-3/5 empty bass boat found circlin

Hopefully it is just a prank. That sounds scary. Thanks for the heads up though.

3. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,546
    Same thing happened last year when I was back Arkansas. It was during a tournament. Both fishermen died. No preservers and kill switch was not connected. Apparently they hit a submergeds rock at high speed, and it threw them both out of the boat. Neither of things may have saved them, but by not having the kill switch connected, it made it harder to find them.

4. goseango

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +294
    from another site-

DVL closed March 5th and 6th

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

We will be closed March 5th and 6th and expect to re-open on March 7th. Please check our web site for the most up to date info, and I will confirm tomorrow our re-open information as soon as I can.

Thanks Jeff

and

From dvl website-

Diamond Valley Lake will be closed March 5th and 6th we expect to re-open on Friday, March 7, 2008.

5. goseango

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +294
    Empty boat leads to search of lake
    By: JOHN HALL - Staff Writer
    Diamond Valley to be closed again today so dive team can continue work | Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:01 PM PST 

2 comment(s) Increase Font Decrease Font email this story print this story DIAMOND VALLEY LAKE -- A probe into the mystery of an empty boat found on Diamond Valley Lake continues today as the massive lake will be closed for a second straight day so a Riverside County sheriff's dive team can search the water.

Just before 5 p.m. Tuesday, a small fishing boat was found on the lake with no one in it, said sheriff's Investigator Jerry Franchville, spokesman for the department.

Boats are available at the lake to visitors and anglers, but Franchville said what was found Tuesday is a private boat.

"We need to do all we can to find out whether someone from that boat may have gone overboard," Franchville said.

A sheriff's helicopter searched the area Tuesday evening and then divers were called out Wednesday morning to look for signs that someone might have drowned.

The dive team spent the entire day there Wednesday but found nothing, Franchville said.

"They have a very large area to search," he said, so divers will be out there again today.

Diamond Valley Lake is the largest reservoir in Southern California and can hold up to 260 billion gallons of water.

Franchville said investigators do know who the empty boat belongs to, but are not yet releasing that information.

"Investigators are trying to get in contact with the boat's owner or family of that person," Franchville said.

-- Contact staff writer John Hall at (951) 676-4315, Ext. 2628, or jhall@californian.com.

http://nctimes.com/articles/2008/03/06/ ... 3_5_08.txt

6. Bassgod

Bassgod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Re:DVL closed 3/-3/5 - THE STORY

Here is a quote I found on another board, very sad:

The family was contacted late last night.. they found a private aluminum boat with a box containing this gentlemens belongings with a suicide note inside..turns out the guys best friends just died from cancer and suffered through the end of his life.. this man had cancer himself and didnt have the funds to battle it so he took matters into his own hands so he wouldnt suffer the same way.. no body has turned up yet... no idea how long the lake will be closed. They fear that he tied the anchor to himself and went over by the west dam which is around 240 ft deep.. Its a very sad story.. since the family was already notified i figured id release the real story.

7. Hooker

Hooker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1

WOW! Very unfortunate.:(

8. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106

Damn, That sucks!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0

crazy tripy stuff man

10. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131

Not to make things any more sad, but have you guys noticed how many people are killing themselves lately? What bothers me more is when they take the lives of their kids as well. Let the kids live.

Sorry for the downer just now. What about those Padres?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is sad to hear that anyone would take a life even if it's there own. Hope the best for his family to move past this tragedy.

12. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    My thoughts and prayers will be with this family.

13. Biddison

Biddison New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I feel for the family and the individual that did not want to fight cancer. I just lost my father last month to cancer. He battled cancer for 16 years before it took him. He was my best friend and I miss him deeply. His fight was so horrible and if you don't have Insurance you would be broke after the first treatment. Cancer is a crueling slow death. Without treatment it would be fast but very painful. I only hope the family isn't suffering more from the suicide. At least I got a chance to be with my father. We did a ton of fishing throughout those years and I was holding his hand as he took his last breathes. It helped me with the closure end of it, something that poor family won't have. :(
    At least the poor guy is at peace. He probably loved fishing at DVL. I say leave him down there.

Jeff

14. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    VERY sad to hear, my prayers are with the family..

Cam

15. turbulence

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +229

I no the thought, but the sad matter is, he wont stay down there, and we don't want some kid to see him floating sometime over the next few weeks.

16. dilatedppls

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +45

that is very sad news. cancer is no joke, i also just lost my mother from pancreatic cancer this past september of 07 she battled with it for 4 years. we knew she was not going to make it atleast we got ready for it. i can see why he didnt want to fight it, it is a terrible disease. i guess everybody deals with there issues in there own way,only he could have known what its like to find out the bad news. i think if its possible we could do a fund raising fishing derby or some sort,for cancer research, thats if its really possible. my heart goes out to his family.

17. Deepsand

Deepsand Active Member

Ratings:
    +0

Do we really have to bring politics into this unfortunate event?

18. Deepsand

Deepsand Active Member

Ratings:
    +0

Great idea I'm up for helping out.

19. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131

I agree with Animal. Our war shouldn't be in the middle east, it should be here trying to help save the lives of the people in our own country. Not enough is being done to provide EVERYONE with the healthcare we all need and deserve.

Vote for that.

20. Hunt n Fish

Hunt n Fish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2

How Selfish...