DYI fish finder battery pack help needed...

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by MikeWest, Mar 16, 2021.

1. MikeWest

MikeWest Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I just got a new float tube and bought a Garman stryker 4 bought all the hardware to mount it. I want to go with a AA eight pack battery pack to power it. Found plenty of holsters for the batteries on eBay and Amazon.
    And watched a bunch of YouTube videos on how to do it. but not one guy does a parts list and how to get the parts.

So you’re going to come off the battery back with what looks like a 9 Volt battery connector Then you will have a black and a red wire coming off that and that would go to your depth finder to power it.

Where do you find that connector manufacture? Cut the wires they gave you and splice them together?

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,269
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    What ever power supply you choose all connections should be soldered and shrink tubed . AA power source should work but may be difficult to maintain as far as corrosion is concerned and you need to make sure it won't fall below 10 v in a days fishing . If you don't mind me asking why not a small 12v 7.0 AH rated sealed lead acid battery ? they are 10 to 12 dollars at most sources and in the long run will pay for itself in the cost vs AA . Depending on the manufacturer 5x4x2.5 inches in size . A small power supply in 12 volt can be used as a charger . As far as a supply of connectors , batteries and chargers ETC . I would think a hobby shop or similar you have everything you need and you could at least visually see the layout in hand . Just take your loom with you and tell them what you are looking to accomplish . Good luck in your search hope it all works out . WR

#2 William Ritchie, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  3. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,559
    Why not use one of those little jump charger packs to run the sonar unit?

4. MikeWest

MikeWest Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Thx guys you gave me something to think about and go look at

what’s a jump charger pack?

5. Egorham

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +724
    IMG_0201.jpg IMG_0200 (1).jpg

I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006X98A7C/?tag=sd07e-20 this battery and the 1050 pelican box. The battery has the right connections to fit the cord that came with my garmin. Used a Dremel to carve a small slot for the wire to pass through. Dab with some sealant. I do have to redo the sealant every charge, but it's cheap and not a big deal.

I've only used it 2 days so far, but it worked perfect.

FWIW this battery is still a little heavier than I like. In retrospect I'd go with a smaller one. Less hours of run time, but not that big of a deal for me. I use it for checking things out, but prefer fishing with it off. Our lakes are pressured enough they don't need to hear me coming.

When I get some time I'll make a video of my whole float tube set up... Look up fishernewb on youtube. He has a cumberland rod rack and hard top apron replacement that I replicated. I mounted the battery on the hard top.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,559
  7. MikeWest

MikeWest Member

Ratings:
    +14
    My first reason for using the AAs in an eight pack was the weight the batteries you guys are talking about using weigh about 4-5 pounds.
    I could put a couple in my hip pocket and it would be nothing. I read a few posts where guys were saying they were getting 6-8 hours with these DYI battery packs with this fishfinder. Figured I’d make make two of them and I’ll be good to go.

Second reason I have to buy a battery charger, the AAs come with a battery charger.
    The third reason is I have medical issues. I have congestive heart disease in OCPD.

I’m trying to keep this boat as light as possible right now. Couple pounds might not sound like much to you but to someone as sick as me it’s unbelievable. My wife has to carry the groceries from the driveway to the house most of the time because I can’t do it...Or if I do it’ll wipe me out for a half hour.

I’m on my way to getting better and soon it won’t be so much as a concern but for the next 2-3 months it’s a big issue.

thanks for all the input very educational

8. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,464
    So it comes with a sealed rechargeable battery already, why don't you use that?
    Garmin STRIKER™ 4 | Fishfinder with GPS

FYI, for my Humminbird Fishing Buddy, I have been using rechargeable AA batteries, they work great and don't have to buy batteries all the time.

Garmin sells cables if you want to use a different power source: Garmin STRIKER™ 4 | Fishfinder with GPS . You can wire that to whatever connector mates to your battery pack or hardwire directly.

If you really want light weight, then lithium batteries. But that will likely need a different charger.

A few months ago, you could have just gone into Fry's and found something. There are lots of online sources for about any kind of battery or battery pack. Even Amazon might have what you need.

8 aa rechargeable battery holder - Google Search

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59,623
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I just cut a piece of PVC half inch pipe, glued it up and sunk a bolt in both ends when I did so back in the day. No idea how this would run a modern FF though, with the bells and whistles...

10. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,745
    Name:
    Eric
    Useful thread, I'm looking at the Garmin striker and was wondering about options to power it. Thanks for the helpful read here

11. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. MikeWest

MikeWest Member

Ratings:
    +14
  13. jusbayz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,801
    Boat:
    Cobra Fish n Dive
    May be worth it to look into the Nocqua kits. All inclusive, light, easy hook ups & perfect for a full day on the water w/ your Garmin.

14. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,745
    Name:
    Eric
    MikeWest what kind of mount are you using for the striker 4? I'm considering picking one up and looking around for mounting options

15. MikeWest

MikeWest Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Don’t know for sure
    I called the guy said hisbindermounts.com send me a picture of the boat I got and they hooked me up. Pretty simple amount and I think it’s the cheapest one they sell there’s like 35 or 40 bucks

16. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,745
    Name:
    Eric
    Cool thanks. I had found that site but wasn't sure if it was legit or still running, kinda retro site design lol

17. MikeWest

MikeWest Member

Ratings:
    +14
  18. Lo_Lo

Lo_Lo Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Not sure if this is too late for you. But I have a striker 4 and use this aa battery set up to power it. 16225195329778644147547927594947.jpg I use 10 rechargeable batteries and it lasts me at least 6 hours. 16225198508912702836402008965325.jpg