Eastern Sierras 5/13-5/16 + Fish of a Lifetime (Pics)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Risentidefishing, May 17, 2019 at 7:04 AM.

1. Risentidefishing

SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +221
    Name:
    Eric Risen
    Boat:
    Risen Tide
    Just got back from 4 days and 3 nights of fly fishing the Eastern Sierra's. Started bright an early on Monday and were fishing some bass ponds near Independence by 10:30. Our plan for the day was to stick with the warmwater fishing and explore some ponds and canals near Bishop area. We had some decent luck on bluegill and smaller bass with a few in the 2lb range. Sat on a 7-8lber on a bed for a while to no avail.

Headed up the hill just before dark and set up camp at the Crowley Lake BLM campground. Up bright an early and down at the Crowley Lake Boat House by 6:45am to get our rental boat. We started out shallower at Sandy Point (11-13ft) but it was slow on the midge with only two smaller trout and a perch. Relocated to a little bit deeper water off Alligator Point and started to get into to some better fish. The next 6 hours was spend picking away at a very nice mix of about 80% Browns to Rainbows. I broke my personal best brown trout with a 21"er hen followed up by buck around the same size. Ended the day with about 15 fish and plenty more short bites and pulled hooks. Awesome day on the water but little did we know what the next day was going to have in store!

Up early again on Wednesday and on the road to the EW by 6:45AM. After a quick pit stop for gas in Mammoth Lakes we turned around and realized we were right next to the Troutfitter Fly Shop. We got to go in right? Poked around the store a bit and got an encouraging report from the guy working the shop who sold us some stonefly nymphs that had apparently been working well. Back on the road and at the Walker River by 8:45. We the first hour fishing around the Miracle Mile with a few short bites on the nymph. Found a bunch of fish rising in a nice looking run but couldn't get them to go. Moved a bit further down river but just couldn't find much fishable water with the high flows so we returned to the run where we saw the fish rising earlier in the day. GOOD MOVE! After a few passes through the run I hook a small brown on a zebra midge. Skunk off and my first East Walker brown! Certainly not what I had in mind but I wasn't complaining. Next pass through the run and my bobber goes shooting under and to the side. Set the hook and see a HUGE brownish/yellow flash. I knew right away this was the one. Fish went screaming down river and cleared about half of my backing. Couldn't chase the fish so had to stand my ground and try to work him back to the softer water. After a few more give and takes I finally get him in position for my friend Sam come in with the net. When I looked down into the net I honestly couldn't believe what I was looking at. My brain just couldn't process that a wild fish like this exists in California, especially after all the 12" fish I am used to catching on the Lower Owens. We taped the fish out at a little over 26" and estimated around 8lbs. Just an absolutely gorgeous fish with not a misplaced scale or hook scar on his entire body. Snapped some pics and video and I'll be honest, I didn't want to let him go. I could have just sat there all day starring at him in my net. Revived him for a minute or two and he kicked off strong as could be. Beer time!

I spent the next three hours sipping on cold ones and letting my buddy Sam have his shots at the run for a while. Around 1 fish started rising again and my buddy switches up to a small elk hair caddis. Third pass through the run and a nice 20" Brown eats his dry! Nice fight and my buddy has his personal best Brown Trout in the net. What a day! We joked that the only thing that could make the day any better would be a big rainbow. Well wouldn't you know, few more passes through the run with a single zebra midge under a small yarndicator and I was on. I could tell right away from the flash I had another huge fish on, and she took an even longer run down river than the big brown. Man can those rainbows pull! After an epic 10 minute battle I get her back into the same soft water we were able to land the brown in and we were able to secure her in the net. Snapped a few pics before she shook out of the net and earned her freedom. We estimated her at around 24" and about 5lbs, my new Personal best rainbow trout. A day I won't soon forget!

Crowley Brown-3.jpg

Crowley Brown-2.jpg

Crowley Brown-1.jpg

Big brown trout.jpg

Big brown trout-4.jpg

Big brown trout-3.jpg

Big brown trout-2.jpg

Sam Brown-2.jpg

Sam Brown-1.jpg

Big Rainbow trout-4.jpg

2. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Incredible

3. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,333
    Those are some beautiful fish ! I stop at the Troutfitter when I'm up which has been awhile but it's a great shop with helpful people.I have used one of their guides on several occasions. I believe his name was Otis and he was an older guy. He was great and more than gave me my monies worth on our outings I recommend him and the shop highly.

4. FLYing Steve

FLYing Steve Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Nucanoe Frontier 12
    WOW!!!
    That's amazing!

5. Bwood

Bwood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +276
    Boat:
    BW
    Wow. Nice work. Could not paint a more pretty trout. Insane.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,268
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Inspirational! Beautiful photo's. Thanks for sharing...

7. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +120
    Great trip! where are those bass ponds located?

8. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +120
  9. Risentidefishing

SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +221
    Name:
    Eric Risen
    Boat:
    Risen Tide
    In between Line Street and Warm Springs east of Bishop

10. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,718
    nice pics! that big yellow fish is cool

11. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +893
    Thats insane. Congrats. Those hawgs, they will haunt you and keep you fishing even when the fishing is tough....As you can see from my photo, I'm clearly use to catching fish that size.

Its insane you found so many hawgs in one run, looks like river is doing well, good to see.

12. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +975
    Now THAT's a passel of nice fish! Incredible! Congrats on the great performance.

13. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,799
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    I can see why you were awestruck!