Eastern Sierras Now

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by John S., Aug 8, 2019.

1. John S.

John S. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +249
    Up at Annette's Mono Village. Fairly slow for most. I am getting them to on Wooly Buggers Fished Little Virginia today and caught a few on the Wooly. The East Walker is still flowing over 300 cfs Here are a few pics.

John

20190808_112325.jpg

20190808_124802.jpg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,824
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Looks beautiful.. nice

3. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,691
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    It's amazing how much snow melted up at little Virginia..it was buried in early July!

4. John S.

Ratings:
    +249
    I was going to bring up a set of skis and hike to an easy ski spot but I had a feeling it was not going to be worth it and it was not. Little Virginia ended up fishing pretty well. Great place to float tube. Not much surface activity which was a surprise. Got home yesterday evening. I almost went to Torrey Pines to surf and fly fish it but ended up surfing Cardiff. However, Torrey fished really well this morning for my brother and his two boys.

John

5. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,158
    I'm going to brave the crowds and head up to Bishop/Bridgeport area over Labor Day.... really hoping the flows come down on the E.Walker by then but I'm not holding my breath. How did Virginia Creek look? Flows too high there too? I'm going to try to hit up some of the smaller creeks maybe Lee Vining Creek, Robinson, Bishop Creek... any info?

6. John S.

Ratings:
    +249
    Robinson should be fishable by then. The East Walker was around 330 when I was there. I like it closer to 200 to 250. I dont know about it getting much below 300 by Labor Day. I did not look at Virginia Creek. I would not pass up Hot Creek. If I was not on a family vacation then I would have parked it there.

John

7. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,158
    Cool thanks for the info! I'm flying solo so I may fight the crowds and walk Hot Creek. I'm a big fan of hiking into the Gorge too and since the flow there is regulated it should be fine... except for the high heat, rattlesnakes and stinging nettles but then again that's what keeps most people from going down in there. Yeah, I tried fishing E.Walker at 350cfs and it was pretty much a no-go for me - same with high water Lower Owens... ok, thanks again for the info and suggestions if any others pop into your mind please post 'em up.

8. John S.

Ratings:
    +249
    I was shooting my .30 06 at the Public Gun Range in Bridgeport so I got to the EW later then I like. I fished it for just a couple of hours. Lots of weeds floating in the water. Hooked a nice one on the 4 weight and then I knew this was not a good idea. Promptly lost it and looked around for a little bit longer and then bailed. I would hit on Hot Creek and have two rods ready to go. Dry and a nymph rig. Get it on it early and have faith it will turn on. It well. The Gorge will likely be freaking hot. Watch yourself down there. I would not fish it alone.

John

9. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +721
    I’m going to head up on the morning of the 30th I was planning on fishing hot creek or Crowley that day. I’ll have my tube so tubing Crowley is my priority.

10. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,158
    I could bring along my inflatable Hobie i11s but I don't know much about lake fishing for trout... not that I'm opposed to it. I'm assuming a sinking line and some types of nymphs (midge patterns?) any quick tips for Crowley?

11. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +721
    Crowley is all about the midge and the occasional callibaetis. You can catch fish on steamers but you will hook a lot of perch. Seems like everyone is still in McGee in 15-20 feet of water. I really enjoy fishing a indicator on a lake. Tight line nymphing in rivers has been tuff since my shoulder surgery last year.

12. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,691
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Friends are fishing Hot Creek, said it's on fire, great topwater on caddis and hoppers..nymphs working too. I'll be up on friday, 10 days mostly tubing Crowley, afternoons on Hot Creek, S.J.,Owen's and Mary! North end of Crowley getting better each week as the fish move towards the Owens!

13. John S.

Ratings:
    +249
    Love Hot Creek.

John

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +721
    I look forward to your reports every year.

15. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,158
    Man o man you guys are getting me fired up but I'm not leaving SD until August 30 please keep updates going... CANNOT WAIT!