El Cap - 3/7

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by bbermingham, Mar 7, 2014.

1. bbermingham

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36
    Boat:
    Ranger Reata VS190
    Nothing beats escaping from work early on a Friday afternoon and doing a little bit of fishing! :D

I rushed home, grabbed one rod and threw a few bags of worms and craws in my backpack and headed Eastbound for my first attempt at shore fishing El Capitan. I got there right at 3:58 PM (fortunately! the sign says no entry after 4PM), paid my fees and hit the shore towards the dam. There were a couple of fellow shore walkers (hardly any boats at this point in the day) in what looked to be the prime spots, so I found a part of the beach to claim and went to work.

I'm pretty new to bass fishing (grew up in NorCal hunting trout with my Dad) and am trying to learn/absorb all that I can. I'm used to being skunked quite a bit (Murray is my nemesis), but the last three times I've gone, I've begun to feel the tide turning in my favor. With three kids and a wife, I don't get out as much as I'd like but I'm finally seeing some progress and I have to thank everyone on the sdfish forums (I've been lurking here for a while) for being willing to share so much info!

Still hunting a beauty worthy enough to weigh for my PB, but I caught this decent girl at 5:17 PM:

QwU8amt.jpg

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,860
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    You must have the bug pretty badly to pay $8 for an hour and change. I have had MUCH better results with the Drop-shot presentation than shakey head.

Congrats on graduating from lurker to poster.

3. bbermingham

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36
    Boat:
    Ranger Reata VS190
    It was a pretty rough week at work and fishing is the best remedy for me, so the $8 was well worth it. :)

Thanks for the tip! I haven't had much success with drop-shotting and was experimenting with the shakey head. First time that I've used that presentation and while I wasn't setting the lake afire, catching one fish in an hour is pretty good for a newbie like me. I'm planning to head to El Cap or Jennings on Sunday and will definitely be working on my drop-shot skills :)

4. Martin_B

Martin_B Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I like the dedication! Can't catch them unless you're out there. I was at El Cap yesterday as well. Got on an afternoon bite with Texas-rigged senkos. Green pumpkin w/ red flake. Drop shot looks to be a good call for El Cap as well.

5. Spidey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +183
    Nice work! Congrats!

6. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    Good to see you on here Bob, keep up the posts. I sure hope you went to Jennings today bc I know it is good. HAHA no comment from me. I did hodges today for 9 hours an got a skunk. I was dreaming of the big fish I got yesterday were I told you.
    Go with your confidence baits or known baits to catch fish for a while. Do not try to learn too much too quick because you will fluster your self an wish you had 20 arms to cast all the rigs you are thinking about. For a couple years I threw a Texas rigs, an half *** shaky heads with an occasional wacky rites sinko. They worked, and I thought there was nothing else better, until my mind expanded onto other techniques as I saw fit an learned. Who would of thought that I now own boxes full of swim baits and umbrella rigs, or even have 10" colored fish finders. I agree with what Fisheromen said. Like "Drop Shots" an Carolina rigs. Read what the interview with a guide Jim Hallauer says too. An he is damb good! Funny thing is I gave the same answer in my interview. After a while you will find your self knowing which fishing technique makes the best logical sense and will give the best all around presentation for each spot you choose to fish.
    I hope you got out there today an got some more. Perhaps you can call in sick or leave early on wednesday. I might be going to Otay...

7. bbermingham

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36
    Boat:
    Ranger Reata VS190
    Thanks Joe!

I'm definitely forcing myself to stick to plastics for now. I did hit El Cap again yesterday and it was brutally windy for most of the day...I'm talking sandstorm windy! Made it tough to fish from shore, but I was able to adjust to heavier weights and caught a few while everyone around me was mostly skunked (first time I've had people copy what I was doing, lol).

Drop-shotting was definitely working for me yesterday with MMIII and Aaron's Magic Robos. Still trying to figure out the bites with that rig though. I missed at least 6 fish because I either set the hook too early or the stinkin' clamshells broke my line. Lost another on the jump, but heck, I was having fun and learning!

Black/Red Flake t-rigged senko worked in the wind-swept murkier waters too.

Now that Little League has started, Sundays are probably my only chance to go out...though I am taking St. Paddy's day off and will try to sneak out if I'm not too hungover after Sunday night's Tool concert :D

For those that don't know Joe, he's been instrumental in helping me learn! He's a complete professional and never seems to tire of answering my thousands of questions. I've been out with him a couple of times and each time I learn something new. I definitely recommend going out with him if you have a chance! (/shamelessplug)

8. avid_basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +516
    Nice plug. ahahhaha

I also agree Joe is great guy and willing to help.

Thanks Joe for us helping out!

9. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    Look what I got today. I can give credit to the people on here posting the big bass pics for my gut inspiration to get these today. I woke up an knew what was in store for me today an I went shopping. I got a DD within 5 minutes of being on the lake. Got a 36lb bag limit :lol: An I remembered to get some photos this time.

BTW, I drove back to each place I caught each fish an released it exactly were I got them.

IMG_20140310_181602.jpg

IMG_20140310_181548.jpg

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,860
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Nice fish for sure! You have tagged on to an El Cap report, but that appears to be Murray. Correct?

BTW, you might want to change your camera settings to smaller pics.