El Cap and Hodges…with a Beer Surprise!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Pourboy, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +762

Hey all I hope that you’re having a great fishing year so far! I headed out to El Cap on Saturday morning but decided to sleep in a little extra because it was cold. I got on the water about 6:45am and there were already people leaving the lake. Apparently there was a tournament on that day that I did not know about. After about an hour and a half on the water I decided to switch gears and jump across the county back to Hodges. Finally hit the water there about 10:45am. I immediately ran into some awesome people and we chatted a bunch about the fishing and stuff. People all around were dialing in the crappie with their state of the art electronics (finders and then Live Scopes) lots of big fish being pulled out. I headed down the shore looking for bass but to no avail. Not many other people out for bass said they did well either. Must have been the cold spell.

I had decided that if someone came up and mentioned the videos I would do a beer tasting with them. That turned out really well! Met a couple of guys from OC and we had a great time trying a beer.

I did end up getting one crappie and lost another. I saw crappie up to 3lbs caught on that day. I am learning the slip bobber jig fishing and can see the application for so many other types of fishing. Thanks for the tips Robert as well. Look forward to seeing you out there again soon. Super fun to just be out there and I can’t wait for the next outing. No fussy people out there today. Just an enjoyable day on the water. Check out the video for more details on the fishing and the beer. Cheers all and see you on the water soon!

2. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +24,249
    A fish report or beer report?....ha ha
    Looks like you made a smart choice to get out of El Cap with a tournament going on and head up to Hodges.
    The main thing is it looks like you are having fun out there.........but it's more fun for me to see more actual fishing in the videos if I am going to take the time to watch them......but what do I know...ha ha
    Tight lines always :)

#2 VinnyBass, Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +762
    I will definitely add more fish as soon as I catch them! Challenging out there right now. At least for the bass. Crappie pros are doing well though. I guess that was the moral of the story.

4. Bass Kid

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,306
    another fun video, lets see if i can find them with no electronics lol

5. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +762
    You should be able to do that. A lot of quality fish were being caught using a slip bobber and a chartreuse jig within 10ft of the shore. Most of the people with electronics were out in deeper water. Use a length between 2-4ft below the bobber or just jig the shallows off the bottom. Good luck man!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,115
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Very hard to make a fishing video when the fish won't cooperate! That Vinny, trying to replace Siskel and Ebert..are they still alive? I hear the crappie dudes are outnumbering the bass guys at Hodges!

7. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +762
    I’d say they are outnumbered 5 to 1 right now. Mostly people from way north. Orange County being the close ones. Lots driving from Sacramento too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,468
    Bass bite has been tough, looks like it's the crappie bite that's pretty good.
    Better luck next time.

9. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +762
    Thanks! Still a fun day on the water. Can’t wait for the next adventure.

10. Bass Kid

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,306
    Thanks for the intel! Hopefully ill be able to put it together

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List