1. Anglers Marine is looking for motivated, qualified, career driven employees for their Lakeside location. Full time Counter Sales, Part Sales, and Boat Sales positions are available at their Lakeside location. Health insurance and 401k benefits are available. Pay based on experience. Contact Rick or Cindy at 714-666-2628 if interested.
    Dismiss Notice

El Capitan Reservoir

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Lsxtrkiller, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Lsxtrkiller

Lsxtrkiller Active Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Hello All,

I am making my first trip to El Capitan tomorrow with a bass boat and am looking for some advise on where some good spots might be for bass/catfish and what types of gear/bait typically work the best. I would like to mainly target bass but will probably switch to soaking a bait for cats for a bit at some point in the day.

I am mostly a saltwater guy but like to dabble in freshwater every now and then. I bought a bunch of bass gear mostly reaction gear last year but didnt manage to hit a single freshwater bass. I am hoping to change that this year and hopefully tomorrow.

I have caught plenty of spotties around the bays so I kind of know what I am looking for out there in the freshwater realm but figured id get some advise since my few trips last year didnt yield any results.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,891
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Flyline Senkos in brush. Drop shot deeper if Senkos don't work. Recently heard that Spinnerbaits are effective right now.

I think the wind will be a problem tomorrow. It always blows in the afternoon at EC, but tomorrow may be worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,267
    Do I remember someone mentioning recently that there are some navigation hazards caused by the water level dropping?

4. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,702
    -You would be surprised how much the bite can pick up in heavy wind.

yes, it's dropping pretty fast recently. I couldnt say how much exactly. I fish there quite a bit, and noticed a significant difference from one week to another. It wont be long before tree hole rock pile will be exposed. They already have hazard placements there, so I think they are pretty much on top of it.

Lsxtrkiller, fisheromen did mention some basics, but theres a decent reaction bite if you search for it using cranks, and blades, underspins etc. Look at the layout of the lake, and that should give you a basic idea of bass holding spots. You'll have the flats (all the way back in the north end)., that can be a good reaction bite area. Then work your way out, and basically pick a side. Not sure what kind of fishing you're doing (rental, shore, tube, personal boat etc). That will dictate how you attack the lake. Main lake points will produce if the wind gets heavy, as well as the coves.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Lsxtrkiller

Ratings:
    +68
    Nute I'll be renting one of their boats. Dont fish freshwater enough to consider a personal... if I buy a boat it will be a center console for the ocean :p...

Thanks for all the info. I have high hopes.

6. shimmyfish

shimmyfish Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure they are renting boats. I would check first.

7. Lsxtrkiller

Ratings:
    +68
    Hmm I'll give them a call it says they have rentals online.

8. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,702
    Im not positive but last few times Ive been there Ive seen the rentals on the water. Or a bunch of people have jons with 10hp motors

9. Lsxtrkiller

Ratings:
    +68
    It was a pretty nice day... finally landed my first freshwater bass... it wasn't big but hey I'll take it... only landed one for the trip but I seen people pulling them in like crazy so apparently i got to work on my finesse. I got the 1 on a wacky rigged 6" senko in watermelon color.