El Niño let down

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Fishferdayzzz, May 14, 2016.

1. Fishferdayzzz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +279
    Well it's official. El Niño has gone and completely missed so cal. At least the biggest most important reservoirs are filled up up north. February was supposed to be the wettest month in history for so cal and it ended up being the driest one in 30 years:/ major major let down :/

#1 Fishferdayzzz, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,876
    And I heard we will be setting up for a La Nina weather pattern for the upcoming season.

3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,302
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Though our continued spritzes of rain have raised Sutherland a few inches to maybe a foot, I am reminded weekly of how woefully inadequate El Nino was.

4. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,903
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Those of us that fish the Sierras a bunch were greatly rewarded by El Nino. In California your latitude and elevation can make or break you! Crowley got a big lift while Sutherland and Morena got squat! I've decided to not worry about the La Nina forcast for us next winter...until next April..then I'll panic!

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,302
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    So you suppose the streams in the Eastern Sierras will be significantly higher in melt volume? Headed there in a few weeks.

6. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,903
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Most
    Most all of the streams are already up. Hot creek, Magee, Mammoth creek, all higher than the last 3 yrs. U.Owens fishing great now. E. Walker finally has water after some scary low water years. W. Walker has a ton of water. San Joaquin should be running high and fast when they get that all opened up down there. High waters should last through the next month with more cool weather coming! The lakes should be in great shape all summer this year. Crowleys way up this year.....Fun,fun,fun!

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,302
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I'm thinking Big Pine Creek will be tough to fish because it will be running so fast. Pretty steep watershed. Do they ever not stock because of rough water? (ES newb questions)

8. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +854
    Just got back from Upper Bishop Creek. The streams there were running extremely good, some areas I normally fish were running a little to hard but with a little hiking (walking) down the streams I had no problem finding endless pools to fish. Keep in mind when I say pools, that could be just a little 2 foot area around a log or rock where a fish is holding out of the current.
    Where I go 10 feet across and deeper than 2 feet would be considered a very large pool. Got several right on the current edge also. As for stocking in fast water, they will usually still stock. They have their favorite pools to drop a net full in but if the current is hard they will usually just go down stream a bit to calm area.

9. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,903
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Big pine creek is a pretty big drop out of the mountains. I think the temps in the Sierras the next few weeks will really determine the runoff in the steeper canyons. I have seen fish stocking held off because of high water. I've seen the San Joaquin much too fast and high to stock. It was basically to high to fish so they don't bother stocking until fishable conditions.

10. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,937
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Northern Cal got whomped though and well central... Thats good news for us plus snow pack...

11. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +854
    sorry Fisheromen When I said the Cdfg will normally continue to stock the streams when they are running a bit hard I should have explained that I fish at 8000 feet and higher. Except for steep areas the streams aren't running as hard up there, which makes it still possible to stock.

12. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,302
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I'm trying to get in shape to get up there!!!