Equifax!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Escofish, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +761
    is nobody else outraged by this. Why does it seem people are just going about their business and not giving a F!!!.? Doesn't anyone see the bigger picture? Why do we even need these companies? Other countries get by just fine without them! People need to wake up, especially the younger people!!!! But hey maybe I'll be able to buy a house that's not ridiculously priced sooner then later!

(The line starts here...)

"Next in line please"

"Ok sir/mam, how would you like it? Virtual or horizontal"

(A) uh? Virtual?

"Sorry, That's not an option. You get horizontal"

Rant over!

#1 Escofish, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. agrazela

agrazela That Guy
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +816
    Boat:
    2000 Sea Hunt 172 CC
    Everyone got their credit freezes put on, yes?

3. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +761
    I finally finished today. Experian gave me the most problems!. After trying to do it online with all the info they wanted!?!? SSN, current and previous address, birthdate, shoe size, favorite child, religious belief, political stance, favorite fish species, combo to my safe, my darkest secret, do you like Mexican food, first girlfriends middle name, up or down, how many BM in the past 3 days, yada yada yada yada!! To find out all it took was a 5 minute phone call with very little info given to them... Kinda scary to think that they will mail me my pin# when I technically didn't state my current address (over the phone). Thanks big brother.

4. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Last person on Earth not on Facebook.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,338
    Not quite. It is not as easy as it first looks. It has to be for both husband and wife, and if there is any kind of glitch on the first try, you have to call or submit in writing. So far, the call waiting time has been prohibitive for Trans Union, but I haven't tried in a couple of days. Just one more to go, and we will have all eight done. Yes eight, don't forget Innovis. I found that to be the easiest and most responsive. Written confirmation in US Mail two days later.

5. FishingwithPiscifun

SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +114
    Me and my wife still haven't even been able to figure out if we were effected by the hack yet. Both signed up for it on day one. They just sent the links yesterday to check, yet the links they sent were "invalid".

6. Fishbreath

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,338
  7. Larry M

Larry M Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Name:
    Larry M
    Having been hacked they want you to trust them and send them an update on all your personal information. Yeah right!
    I believe that there's a class action lawsuit against them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +761
    You can make up a name and put a fake number and it will say the fake person is effected . better to assume the worst in this type of scenario. also try calling early in the morning to alleviate wait time, it worked of me.

#8 Escofish, Sep 22, 2017
  9. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +761
    There is a class action started... if you signed up for the free one year "life lock" Equifax offer you gave up you right to be apart of that class action.(read the fine print). who in their right mind would trust that company to protect your personal information after they already gave it away!

10. agrazela

agrazela That Guy
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +816
    Boat:
    2000 Sea Hunt 172 CC
    Whoa son, eight?

First I've heard of Innovis...so besides that, Equifuxed, Experian and TransUnion, what are the other four?

11. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +761
    Trust me, they got you.. and your wife.... Equifax is sending people to another web sight that is also hacked, it to is stealing you info. I advise everyone to to do a little research before the jump into this.

12. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +761
    You need to check your credit report before you freeze anything. You can do that here, https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action make sure nothing looks funny... make sure you check all 3 credit reports. its 10$ to put a freeze on each one, Equifuc!ed if free for now. so for me and my wife total of 40$ that I don't have. I expect at least a minimum of 40$ back from the class action. Parents with teens need to check their credit report also for any nefarious activity. I don't believe you need to worry about innovs, when the run a credit check the need to at least check a minimum of 2 reporters, so if you freeze 3 that only leaves them 1 to check, when they need 2. I hope this info can ease some of your frustration... Trust me, I'm !!PISSED!! I did many hours of research and still continue to inform myself on the situation. This isn't only effecting my feature, as a young parent it is effecting my children's future. This is not to be taken lightly... the only good outcome of this (which is horrible to say) is that the economy will crash... I and 100's of 1000's of others can hopefully buy a house. who knows, maybe this was an inside job to crash our economy. we still know very little about who did this and I have a feeling we will never know. Which tells me it will most likely be one of our own. I hope I'm wrong.

#12 Escofish, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +761
    ALSO! when/if you do Experian online watch you bank account. After you do everything and give them your CC# you might get a "we are unable to honor you request to place a security freeze" notice... BUT they will still charge you the 10$!!!!!!. I could be wrong for some of you and I hope I am but they did take my 10$ and my stepmothers 10$ but were unable to freeze it. After all is said and done I suggest you continue to check you credit report every other few months or so for the next year. Good luck and God bless.

14. Fishbreath

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,338
    You have to go through the whole process for both spouses, so four agencies times two.

#14 Fishbreath, Sep 22, 2017
  15. Fishbreath

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,338
    That was true initially, but no longer. This from CNN Money:

"4. "If I take Equifax's offer for credit monitoring, I am giving up my right to sue."

No. Not anymore.

Initially, Equifax limited the legal options consumers had, but it has since updated its policy to say: "enrolling in the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection products that we are offering as part of this cybersecurity incident does not prohibit consumers from taking legal action."

Winston credits the quick response of politicians, attorneys general, the media and individuals on social media with Equifax's about-face on this issue.

"There was an arbitration and limitation of liability clause in place initially and they have removed those offending provisions, in the face of widespread outcry," says Winston. "But, it was a battle that consumers should have never needed to fight."

16. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +761
    Well for one, I don't trust EquiFu!!ed us over.
    And for two, I don't trust anything from CNN

17. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +523
    How do you get affected by this? If a bank or something has checked your credit. I've never ran my own credit just whoever is loaning me my money. I'm pretty confused on it all

18. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,684
    That's the thing, you don't really have a choice. Equifax is sent the info from businesses you've had loans or contracts through which report on your credit.

Could be cell phone bills, car loans, credit cards - and it's thought even those with no credit history at all would be included simply for having been born and issued a Social Security Number.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  19. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,684
    Both are fair points. But in this case, yeah you're not opting out from the class action by enrolling in their service.

They tried that, and then in true 2017 form, pressure from social media and eventually probably lawyers convinced them they couldn't do that.

20. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +761
    I totally got/trust what he was saying, I was just veering off on another rant.