Estero Coyote, Part Deux

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Tomaso, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,059
    I apologize for this being a week late, but I finally made the time to supplement Kai's earlier estero report. This version describes the trip and its environment, but has some of the required fish pics ;-).

Our route: for reference,
    Map.jpg
    According to my garmin, from the Tecate border crossing to Punta Bufeo was 231 miles. and took us 8:09 hr, including stops. From Bufeo to Campo Rene was 280 miles, 7:57 hrs (total of 571 miles, 16 hrs).

Most of us met at ConKSO's at around 0530 on Saturday morning, 8 June. We arrived at the Tecate border crossing at 0640, and were on our way in 20 min after getting our fmm's (visas) stamped at immigration. We headed on out the toll road to mexicali and south to San Felipe. Got to SF around 11:30, stopped for some delicious fish tacos.
    190608115040.jpg
    From left-to-right: myself, mike, ConKSO, and his amigo Mario.

From there we headed down to Punta Bufeo, our first night's stopping point. The road was great until just north of Puertecitos, where we began to see lots of potholes and "desviaciones". Spent a lot of time going around stuff like this:
    190608150232.jpg
    and
    190608150736.jpg
    Hwy 5 gets battered pretty well in hurricanes, I guess.

Great scenery as we approached las islas encantadas, though. We pulled into Punta Bufeo around 4pm, arrived en masse at Mako Bob's. What a gracious host! Here we are having a dinner he hosted for us at the local restaurant.
    190608180926.jpg
    On the left, front to back, are ConKSO, myself, my wife marta. Unfortunately, I can't recall the names of the three younger gents in the back (they joined our caravan to go surfing, primarily). On the right are Mike, Mario, Mako Bob, and Kai (BajaTraveler from the earlier estero post)..

John & Kai decided to take an after-dinner stroll down the beach with their fly rods. I was too lazy to unpack all my stuff, so I went along for the entertainment. In no time, John was hooked up with some acrobatic ladyfish. Bendo:
    190608193214.jpg
    190608193406.jpg
    After a few of those, he handed me his fly rod, insisted I try it. Two casts later, bendo on my first cortez side corvina.
    190608193528.jpg
    190608193622.jpg
    A good start to the trip!

We headed out Sunday morning just after 0700, continued our journey south. We got just over 20 mi on good road, then hit about 20 miles of rough dirt. We aired down, for the ride, then aired back up at Chapala. The road was difficult, but passable by just about anyone willing to slow down.

From that point on, it was an easy jaunt down to BC Sur. One stop in Jesus & Maria for fuel and lunch (a fisherman walking into our roadside restaurant with a yellowtail indicated that the fish was likely pretty fresh), and on to Abreojos. Pulled into Campo Rene a bit after 4 pm Mountain Daylight Time. We made it!
    190609164700.jpg

Here's a Satellite pic of the portion of the estero in which we were most active. SatMap.jpg
    The red circle locates Campo Rene. For scale, the visible portion is about 2.5 miles wide. The entire estero is a little over 6 miles long (as the crow flies), so I've got a lot more exploring to do!. What we saw was alive with fish in every direction!

An assortment of pics:
    Steve and I doing a double bendo at one of our wading spots. At the right tide, we could stand on the edge of the drop-off and cast into the channels for corvina, corbina, spotties, and halibut, with the occasional puffer or grouper thrown in.
    190612104732.jpg

ConKSO bendo at the point we often fished in the evening around sundown, with Kai looking on. A very productive spot.
    190612194646.jpg
    Me with a nice grouper from the same spot:
    190612192322.jpg

A pic to give you an idea of where the grouper hung out. Any of you bass fisherman out there would know exactly how to fish this. We'd approach the spots, put our mirage drives in reverse, cast into a pocket, and WHAM, water splashing and hopefully a fish on! We'd immediately peddle back to get 'em out of the mangrove roots. That was some exciting fishing!
    190615083740.jpg
    A different angle on things (marta was riding the back of my yak, and took this shot over my shoulder. She even managed to get the cigar in the pic!
    190616075842.jpg
    190616075922.jpg
    With a tail that wide, those grouper can really generate some thrust!

Finally ran out of time, and headed north on Monday, 17 June; basically reversed our trip south. Only automotive mishap for the trip was a hose on my power steering pump, which popped loose over the rough road toward the cortez side of the penninsula. Luckily, it first became noticeable as we pulled into the Pemex at Gonzaga. I was fortunate to only have to reseat the hose, snug it down a bit, and refill the power steering fluid.

Our capable pemex mecánico at work, with ConKSO and I supervising:
    190617151736.jpg

Shortly, we were on the road again. After a brief visit with Mako Bob in bufeo, we drove to San Felipe, where we spent the night. Here we are in the middle of our final bull session before hitting the border. Roughing it, eh?
    190618072058.jpg
    Finally crossed into the U.S. on Tuesday the 18th around 12:30 PDT, after only a half-hour wait at the border.

It was a memorable trip. Special thanks to ConKSO for organizing, spearheading this adventure, and loaning (ok, giving) me a couple of his killer grouper flies, and to Steve McKnight for pre-trip assistance and estero guide services! As a first timer to the estero, I was glad to have some experienced hands along. In fact, in spite of how productive the fishing was, it was the trip down & back and the great travel companions that made the trip an epic one for me!

#1 Tomaso, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  2. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,016
    Incredible! A definite bucket list destination for me. What equipment were you using?

3. Farmking

Farmking Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Name:
    Kelly Collier
    Looked like a great trip. Good fishing, good food, good company, can’t beat that.

4. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,059
    Most of the time I was tossing chartreuse/white clousers with my 7wt rod, 150gr sink tip. When we fished the mangroves for the grouper, I was tossing John's bushy-headed flies, so I used my 8wt mangrove rod (appropriate, eh?) with an intermediate outbound short line. Worked perfectly for me from the yak... lobbed the fly in there, and held on for dear life! With the clousers, I was using about 5' of 15# p-line flouroclear. On the grouper I started with that, but lost too many fish to the roots, so I bumped up to 3' of 20# flouro... seemed to do the trick.

5. special k

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +494
    Name:
    stan
    Boat:
    aluminum
    Great report Tomaso I was really looking forward to that!! you are a lucky man to have a wife that would go on a fishing trip like that, let alone get her on the back of your kayak!! you got a good one!!!! well done sir!!

6. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,204
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    EPIC FOR SURE!!! thank you soooo much for sharing such a great adventure. I could almost feel the warmth of the baja sun and taste the great food!!

7. special k

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +494
    Name:
    stan
    Boat:
    aluminum
    Ok Guy's keep the reports and pictures coming. I know theirs at least one more report!!

8. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,547
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Wow! What else can you say. Great report con photos Tom.

9. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,900
  10. Baja_Traveler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +828
    Highly recommended trip! The fishing down there is simply incredible. 7-8 weight rod and an intermediate or full sinking line is best. John was throwing a 6 weight alot of the time, and was under gunned on a few fish. Tan and white and chartreuse and white clousers kill it there, and as John found - the Kinky Muddlers he tied up.
    Mike was the only one paddling, everyone else had Hobie's. Patrick and I in PA14's and Steve, Tom and John on their i11s inflatables. Set up correctly (to protect the boat from dorsal spines) the i11s is the ideal platform for the estero. I bought Mako Bob's i11s on the way home, so next year it will be the boat I bring. If you are not into fly fishing, any bay or bass rod with small plugs work great - that's what Patrick used the whole time - spinning gear.
    As for the road, I was looking through a picture file of mine from last year and found this yesterday: A screen shot of hurricane Rosa going over Puertecitos last October, right when Mako Bob was driving through. He got stopped by the torrential down pour, and they measured 21 inches of rain in two hours, the wall of water overwhelming the arroyos and canyons and washed out all the bridges and alot of the roadway. I still am amazed that an old man with one leg managed to move boulders and bypass the washouts the next day and make it to Punta Bufeo - a Baja legend indeed. It's going to be years before it all gets fixed, but that's what makes Baja an adventure...
    166129383.EWRr3BG9.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,058
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    It was a great trip indeed . I tried to post some pic's but had some of the same problems as others did. I gave up. Thanks for the reports of our trip guy's. Camp was full and everybody did well. Looking forward to next time.

12. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,914
    Sorry for stepping in on a trip I was not part of but those grouper are just so pretty I had just had to work on one of the images and bring out some of the beauty

B1FA9788-AB48-4C6D-A3E7-43891656BE4E.jpeg

13. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,058
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    At first I thought you took away tom's cigar but apparently he didn't have one when he caught that fish. I didn't think that was possible. You did however brighten the shot up and it looks wonderful.

14. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,843
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Damn.. Nice

15. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,547
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    WOW!

16. special k

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +494
    Name:
    stan
    Boat:
    aluminum
    Man so bummed hopefully I can go down next year!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Baja_Traveler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +828
    I was dreaming about that spot last night - cant wait to go back!
    169363942.C1n0DGwt.jpg

18. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,059
    You & me both, amigo!

(Great pic, BTW)

19. Jim Brown

Jim Brown City Lakes Program Manager 1974-2003 (retired)
    Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +411
    Thanks for the absolutely great job you did on describing an epic trip!

20. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,160
    Oh man - this report just got me feeling all tingly in my man parts for Baja... again! More Baja!

Great report, it really brought me back. I especially appreciate all of the data - getting a real handle on how many hours it actually takes to get from IB to Buffeo is important when you're racing sunset on a December run to Buffeo for Day 1. I'm going to have to get back together with you about those numbers - they are very helpful.

You hit the nail on the head, the fishing is great but it's the community that we create in camp and the times spent chatting/bullshitting/razzing and laughing our asses off that make a trip like this something really special.

You wanna go to Baja?

Yes you do- because when it's all said and done, all were going to have are the memories. Here are some good ones: Our evening beer hour featuring Steve's bottomless Modelo cooler, Kai's cubic yard of the best smoked ribs in Baja, our new friend (who I had never met in person before this trip but who ended up being just a champion of a guy), Mike Mulvehill's honest-to-god-carried-the-pan-all-the-way-from-Carlsbad supremely delicious paella (he made this as our camp dinner on his last night), the full carafe of good, black coffee on my bumper each morning, Tom and Marta sneaking off to poach the wreck (or, the Point as Tomaso calls it) - we'd see them from the designated beer-hour meeting spot off in the distance sneaking down to the fishing hole, Mario claiming he caught a steelhead (corvina) and then dropping Steely Dan tunes on the guitar with Tomaso (who's got some serious chops on the git-box), the plane crash, the rat traps in Steve's engine compartment... good times people! Let's get back down there!

BTW: I made some breakthroughs on tactics for the larger pargo... and the kinky muddler flies were a real surprise with the grouper... poppers next time?