Evangelical Preachers on Both Sides

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mattgulptosser, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,638
    First, a little background.
    Recently on my college campus there have been a lot of Protestant and Baptist preachers spreading the word to the masses, telling us that we're going to hell, etc. I've even had one call me a "man-*****" for kissing my girlfriend near him, lol.
    Whatever, zero problem with that. The issue I've got is the atheists. The damn evangelical atheists who, despite being proponents of rationality and skepticism, argue and yell and preach in the exact same manner the the religious people do.
    Beyond the obvious hypocrisy, I don't understand what they think they're accomplishing, and I used to be one of them! But the wonderous world of high school hit, and I realized that arguing in that way does absolutely nothing for either party.
    Every single 'discussion' I've heard thus far has been nothing but straw men and personal attacks from both people, or occasionally, one religious person against a few 'rebellious' college students.

If you address what someone is saying, especially when you vehemently deny it, you give their words power. I wish more people would understand that, because there are a lot of arguments that really aren't worth the time. Rant over.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,974
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Funny, the tenets of Athiesm lead to "life is meaningless". Why preach about that?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    If thats atheism, whats it called when you don't believe in any "higher being" and live a meaningful life?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    A short life

.....also depends on what’s one’s definition on meaningful

5. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    So you mean I get to live longer if I believe in a higher power? How long is your life gonna be? Where do i sign up?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    Not just “a” higher power....

I’m sure you’re being sarcastic and heard it “all” before but if you’re serious, we can talk!

7. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    I WAS an atheist for thirty years

Higher power is for AA.

8. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,961
    Name:
    Larry M

Screenshot_2018-04-30-08-42-26-1.png

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,362
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    The philosophers figured it out a long time ago.. Life comes down to two questions.. What is the good life? Who am I?.. Fairly simple, people.. Answer those two and you are golden..

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    Good life is a tough debate. I’ve witnessed the happiest people with absolutely nothing and the wealthiest with everything absolutely miserable. I’ve witnessed a successful wealthy geologist who had everything but could never fill an empty hole give his life to Christ and become fufilled, on fire and full of joy.
    To each their own on what they think is joy. In my life, I’ve experienced what I thought was joy and have now experienced true joy in finding Christ. I’m not a Bible thumper, infact, I think thumping should be between Christians, not on the secular world. It’s our/my job to live the best I can as an example and when some one is seeking, share with them my experience and testimony. If I’m around smeone attacking what I believe in, I will stand up because I take it personally but there is caution in that also...

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,638
    And that's a proxy issue as well. There is very little actual discussion or testimony, just attacks by both sides

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    And that’s not right, is emotions all over the place. It causes problems. I’ve lived a secular life for 30 years, laughed at people who believed in God, experienced hypocrites in Christianity and always thought, why would I follow that, my life is perfectly fine and successful. Then the scales fell off my eyes....

#12 camobass, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    So do you follow every rule in the bible or pick and choose whichever fits you and if you sin, all you have to do is confess and everything is dandy?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    That picking and choosing what to follow is for the birds, I’ve left churches because of that. There is ramped problems in churches. There is greed, bad doctrine etc...
    I’m mournful of my sins. I’ll never be sin free, no one will be. The hypocrisy is the people who say, it’s ok I did that because I believe in God...that’s why I thought it was a joke my whole life. There are going to be ALOT people who “follow” God who are going to have a rude awakening. As for the rules you say, I’ve heard it said, it’s better to not know the Bible because then you are not convicted of your wrong doings. That statement is literally a joke, humor. I learn everyday. The Bible guides you through life. Most of the law out there today is comparable to laws in the Bible. Our country was founded in beliefs from the Bible.
    It’s a journey. The two basic laws are love your God with all your heart and love your neighbor(others) as your self....that pretty much will cover everything but it’s hard to love others execially when you get screwed etc...
    Asking for forgiveness from God (not a priest) is different from repenting. Jesus died on the cross for all of our sins (those who confess with their mouth and believe with their heart). It doesn’t give us a pass to be sinful people though.. I’m not one of those who thinks everything is dandy, I am convicted in my heart when I do wrong and it bothers me even after I repent. Everyone is different and on different levels in their walk. It’s not easy but it is rewarding to my soul, things make sense that I could never make sense of before,

#14 camobass, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    I edited a couple typos above.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,534
    Flyfishing.
    I'm a flyfisherman.

You're right. I'm golden.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,638
    Even as an agnostic I realize this. In particular, human rights laws are similar in wording and principle to many religious tenets, and yet the evangelicals often insist that rationality and religion are polar opposites

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    So love thy neighbor except for the ****sexuals?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,638
    camobass' point was that religious laws often make logical sense, and they do. Don't steal, don't kill, don't cheat on your partner, don't lie. These are fairly essential for any society to function, imo. Doesn't mean the Bible or the Qur'an or the Popol Vuh are by any means infallible. And given that all these texts were written thousands of years ago, some of the content is gonna be just a tiny bit outdated, don't you reckon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.