Evangelical Preachers on Both Sides

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mattgulptosser, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,373
    My career has been construction for 40 years this June. We see projects for schools converting restrooms to "gender neutral". It's just out of hand the distance some will go to accommodate every sissy la la out there. isn't a restroom with just a sign that says "restroom" gender neutral?

2. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,373
    I know!

3. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,603
    Oook, when did I mention alternate universes? I didn't. And who in the astrophysical community (of any repute) says "It's random" and just leaves it at that? That's where all these theories come from.
    Could you cite some of the empirical evidence we have of intelligent design? I think you may be mistaking "not taking it seriously" for "seriously questioning it". Maybe the reason this evidence isn't often used in science is because it hasn't been published in a peer-reviewed paper.
    Yes, you're right in saying that we cannot run (for example) a controlled simulation of the creation of the universe in order to determine which of the hypotheses is correct. It's completely out of our knowledge range, we're in agreement there.
    Finally, I highly disagree when you say "it doesn't matter how it happened, where it happened, or with whatever..." I think it matters a lot, how, where and with what. How else are we supposed to even semi-accurately speculate how this all got here? And if anything, I've seen far more people of faith wave away questions of how the universe began with, "Simple. God did it." Than I have seen scientists say, "Simple. Randomly."

4. Pecci

Pecci Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    You can have the last word. Take care!

5. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,603
    I'll gladly take the last word. I don't decide who is of repute, the scientific community as a whole does.
    You over-generalize "science" as atheistic, but gave a more correct term, agnostic, so I'll leave that.
    Sure, neither I personally (nor the current scientific community) can prove that the universe occurred without a creator. In the same vein, you cannot prove to me that the universe occurred because of a creator.
    If this really is the last word, then I'll conclude with this:
    God is definitively, absolutely, not the only option, and it would take a large amount of very significant evidence to convince me--and even more to convince the majority of scientists in the related fields--otherwise.

6. Pecci

Pecci Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    I lied!

So you are an Agnostic, right? There is a huge difference between the two, imo.

Another question if you don't mind. How would that first particle come about w/o any other matter or method before it? Believers believe it cannot and that something cannot come from nothing non-believer's believe it can, correct?

7. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,603
    Yes, I'm an agnostic. And for argument's sake, let's say yes.

8. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,128
    Boat:
    It floats
    When you are in the Drs office and see a picture portraying a human cut in half showing our insides etc...there is no way this happened by an accident or a cell in a puddle of mud that evolved into "us" as of today. Its by design. reproduction in mammals, its all by design. DESIGN!!! I rest my case, lol. Read the bible, it is the instruction book to life and answers all questions.

9. Pecci

Pecci Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    Before my question to you Camo, I am a Christian. Anyway, by what authority do you believe the Bible is the word of God? I realize this may or may not be a challenge, but ...

10. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,128
    Boat:
    It floats
    Short answer, Hebrews 4:12. Long answer, I have witnessed God work when living out (trying my best) the teachings of the bible. My faith in Jesus means I have faith in the bible. Since I have been a Christian, I have been told the bible is the living breathing word. I understand that in the New Testament, the Disciples were lead by the spirit in there teachings, However, I believe it is the word of God because Jesus' own words are recorded in it and he is God. By what authority?...GOD

11. Pecci

Pecci Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    But the Bible didn't exist back in Pauls day. He was talking about the OT, not the NT, correct? Mormons and Muslims believe the same thing in everything else you say. Why do you believe they are wrong, when the Book of Mormon and the Quran, make the same claim (the word of God)?

Furthermore, how do you know that the apostles were led by the Spirit? Mormons say, Joseph Smith, was lead by the Spirit and Muslims, Muhammed. My point: Is a book the word of God, because it says so?

12. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,128
    Boat:
    It floats
    Didn’t proof come out the the writings that Joseph Smith had been given to him in the spiritual encounter never existed. They were locked away and it turned out it was an empty box. The new testement says do not add or take away from these writings and most of those religions have.
    I’m not an expert in other religions. I didn’t come to God because someone told me to or was raised in a church. I had a full blown spiritual encounter that led me to Christ and have had numerous confirmations that God/Jesus is real.

13. Pecci

Pecci Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    I am not doubting your experience, I am just challenging you about the belief in the Bible. Remember "ALL" mentions of "Scripture" in the NT is in regards to the OT. The entire NT (Gospels, letter's, accounts, etc.) was not written until over a decade after Christ's Resurrection. The last was not written until the very end of the 1st Century. Many of the authors are unknown. Also, there were numerous other Gospels & letter's etc. that existed. The Bible itself was not formalized until the end of the 4th Century. Do you know about all of this? What did the first 400 yrs. of Christianity use or have in order to learn about Jesus?

14. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,128
    Boat:
    It floats
    First 400 years? Accounts, testimonies, word of mouth, original writings? I don't know about all those things. I have had some theology classes at church which talked about authors and debates of authors. I am aware of other writings-dead sea scrolls. It doesn't change my faith and experiences.

15. Pecci

Pecci Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    So do you not believe in "Bible Alone" as being the sole authority?

Do you have a denomination?

16. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,128
    Boat:
    It floats
    I've been attending a non denominational church for the last 2 years. I have experienced man's laws at previous churches superseding the bible with their beliefs. I believe that all the truths are in the bible along with the laws or "rules" to be obedient. I believe most churches twist what the bible says

If you want see some awesome teaching, check out Dr Baruch Korman. www.loveisrael.org. He reads straight from Greek. Breaks down the verses. Points out parts where english bibles remove words. He is anointed.
    PS he will be coming to teach in chula vista in august. 2 days. He does it for free

17. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,128
    Boat:
    It floats
    I never heard of "Sola Scriptura" but yeah, I am the Bible Alone camp (the more I read about it) What did I say that you asked that question?

18. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,128
    Boat:
    It floats
    Whats your denomination?

19. Pecci

Pecci Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    None, I am Catholic. It is the one and only Church started by Christ. In fact, tomorrow is a celebration of Pentecost. It is it's birthday.
    Because of the way you refer to it only. The ''Bible Alone'' Doctrine was begun by Martin Luther 500 yrs. ago. It is not at all mentioned in the Bible, but Protestants still insist it is. The 1st 1500 yrs. of Christianity never taught or believed "Sola Scriptura." Becuase of this Book not having an authority over it, it has broken up into 40,000+ differing Protestant (incl. modern day Evangelicals). They all interpret the Bible differently. All of this is unbiblical.

Jesus Christ did not leave us a Bible to be our guide, He left us a Church. That Church (Catholic) is the source that wrote, and decided which books would be contained in it, and which would be discarded. because "IT" came directly from God and was promised to remain in truth, and led by the Holy Spirit.

20. Pecci

Pecci Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    No denomination. I belong to the original (Catholic) Church that God started 2000 yrs. ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.