Evangelical Preachers on Both Sides

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mattgulptosser, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,696
    I was never taught to hate anyone.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  2. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    Thats my point, people pick and choose, who has the power to consider which teaching in the bible is outdated? who has the power to change outdated laws?

3. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,629
    I think common sense has the power to choose which laws are outdated. Prosecuting those of different sexual orientations=outdated, because we now know that sexual orientation isn't a choice. People have the power to change outdated laws, because we have already. Gay people can legally get married now, for example.
    Also, to say that only religious people cherrypick what they think is right from a text or from preaching is incorrect. Everyone does the same thing, all the time. For instance, I don't subscribe to everything that Plato or Descartes said, but I think some of each of their beliefs make sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Ram-Rod I bet you'd disagree with at least some of what Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan, or Bill Nye has said, right?
    But the reason that stuff probably isn't at the forefront of your mind is because you focus on what seems true to you. Same goes for everyone else, religious or not.

5. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    Cherry picking good ideas is human nature, the problem is that camobass is implying that my life will short if I don't believe in a higher power (no after life) and not just any higher power, his higher power. Everything thing in bible is about either going to heaven or going to hell. The bible is no longer "pick and choosable" if you live by that logic and want to go to heaven.

6. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    I was just answering a question that you asked. I believe that this life on earth is just a speck on a line of my everlasting life.
    You are entitled to your opinion and I no way feel anything against you. I completely understand your view. I was there myself.
    The bible is not just about going to heaven or hell. Have you read the whole bible? Its about how you treat people, how to live, how to raise your children in a loving environment, it answer questions to life- ts life breathing. Being a Christian is not just about getting to heaven. I have come to the conclusion that its God's will, if I go to heaven or not, I am going to live my life for Christ.
    It sounds like you have had some type of pretty negative experience with religion. I understand, so have I; many, many times.

Look up Lee Strobel. He was a full blown briliant Athiest out to prove God doesn't exist. Guess what happened when he did that. All the evidence he searched for to disprove God, Proved he exists. He is now a Christian

7. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    I don't hate ****sexuals. I disagree and don't like the sin. Look at nature. Dogs may try and hump other males but nature is male and female. I believed that before I was a Christians. Its how we were designed. Satan has dominion over the earth and is the author of confusion, division and stirring people away from the truth.

8. EncinitasWomp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +528

There is a difference between not liking (or hating) someone and disagreeing with their lifestyle. Contrary to the agenda that is pushed, I can disagree with someones choices and still love them.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Now, if you're talking about sex to reproduce, then yeah, there's no question. But ****sexuality in nature for pleasure is fairly common. If you do some research, there's a lot of documented ****sexual activity between animals, especially mammals like dolphins and primates; as well as quite a few bird species.
    Not to mention that ****sexuality has been documented in humans since written history began. Everyone from ancient China, to Greece, to Native Americans largely accepted ****sexual behavior.
    Again, I'm not saying it serves the purpose of continuing our species, but it should hardly be called unnatural imo.

10. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    I got you, my answer was my opinion. I was unaware of that. But I was also speaking by design. If it was meant to be the other way, no race of creature would survive past a generation. If it was meant to be, males would be able to naturally conceive children in their own whom. Again, for the record, I don't hate people who choose to be ****sexual. I feel sorry for the children who don't have a choice and who are brought up like that.

11. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Have you read the whole Bible? Not every wrongdoing is punished with the sinner going to hell. And besides, you're relying on a pretty big "if". Suppose someone leaves it entirely up to God's plan on whether their soul is sent to heaven or hell

12. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Right, I understand. Disagree that it's a choice, but I see where you're coming from in terms of survival of species

13. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    thats what I am saying. The bible is life breathing.

I look at it this way. I learned this in school.
    One person will have a bad experience and tell 11 people average. Its like the phone game where you say something about someone in a big circle, by the time it comes back, its exaggerated or completely something different.
    The one who has the good experience will only tell one or two people close to them.
    (Say, put this senario is a retail experience or having your car worked on)
    It can also be the same for a biblical experience. I still personally seem to look at all the bad things and not the many good things in life or in experiences

14. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    I understand there are birth defects. But besides that it is mostly choice or in upbringing. Parenting has a huge role and coming from a divorced family, I get it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    And that opinion is only based on people I have known to be ****sexual and talked to them about it. I by no means am for certain its just in my experience

16. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Interesting points and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Your comment regarding Strobel got me to thinking about my youth years ago. Without question, one of the best classroom experiences I’ve ever had was a course I took on author C.S. Lewis – and how he returned to Christianity after spending time as an atheist. The prof was also an ordained minister which I think helped with discussion and perspective. And I say this as someone who’s not particularly “religious.”

17. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    I'm not religious either. Its more of a relationship but I tend to take the red letter pretty serious pre-crucifixion

18. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,629
    It is not a "defect", either. That's where our agreement ends.

19. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    So after 30yrs of being an atheist, what were some of the most enlightening things that you learned from god's teachings that you didnt know about before?

20. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,135
    Boat:
    It floats
    When I say defect, I don't mean it in a derogatory way, I see it sounds like that. Forgive me. What do you call it when someone is born with something that is out of whats considered "normal".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.