Ever flip your kayak?

Discussion in 'Kayak and Paddle Board Fishing' started by BassRygg, Nov 2, 2021.

1. BassRygg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +299
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    Unfortunately, I have...

Was fishing at Puddingstone Lake up here, north of most of you and flipped my Old Town Topwater PDL 105. It was a strange experience. I wasn't doing anything unusual. I simply leaned to one side to untangle some line and I just kept going. It happened way too easily for my liking because I didn't think I was doing anything crazy.

The worse part was that I dumped three rod/reel combos (two of them were custom made) and never found them. A couple in a bass boat tried to help to no avail. Lifeguards came and dragged a magnet and then two divers went in with masks and didn't find my gear either. It was heart breaking (and expensive) to lose that stuff. The water didn't have great visibility and I'm guessing a lot of silt on the floor of the lake made it worse.

I have since purchased some outriggers for my kayak to make it more stable. My kayak will look like it has training wheels, but I don't care because I don't ever want to flip it again.

It still disturbs me that I flipped so easily. I'm guessing the moment of me leaning (I weight 240 lbs) just made it happen. I wasn't far from shore and was wearing my PFD. It could have been worse, I guess.

I am in the processing of replacing my gear (slowly), but those custom rods... well, when I had them made, they probably cost around $200. Now, they're $380 and I won't be spending that much on a rod. I miss those two rods and still get a sick feeling when I think about it. Lots of memories tied into those two.

Anyone here ever flip? What's your story?

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +61,838
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Learned early on, tie down anything you don't want to lose... Anything.. fished the salt many many times over the years, jumped off the yak and swam for the bottom a couple times when I was scared I was going to get run over, had a couple hammerheads chew up the plastic, flipped in the surf a couple times too... Dropped a rod over the side once or twice, never lost a rod I leashed up. Get a couple leashes and use them... Otherwise just use gear you can afford to lose.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  3. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,145
    First time I set the hook on a frog fish I came close, did the splits to keep from going over . I hurt , I'm not good at doing the splits.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. THunter

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +161
    Intentionally, in my pool, for practice - yes. As mentioned, leashes or pole floats and everything secured. I haven't been kayak fishing long so we'll see how it goes. Appreciate the insight here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,769
    Keep your head above the hull. Once it goes over, your body will follow. Ask me how I know. :emoji_joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,291
    Best part of this is you had divers and life gaurds helping you try to retrieve your gear. Never expected to read that.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. BassRygg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +299
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    Yes, it was super cool of them to even try. Apparently they keep a giant magnet with them for those instances when people drop their keys in the water....but two lifeguards going diving for my gear was really nice.

8. BassRygg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +299
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    I'll ask... how do you know? :emoji_no_mouth:

9. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,291
    I have a 35lbs pull magnet that I've used at piers - toss out on a rope and drag along the bottom - only retrieved an old lure. Nothing interesting.

10. Rude Baits

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +700
    Yes. Twice. Ugh. My best advice to anyone... ALWAYS wear a PFD and always keep your combos leashed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,769
    I was checking out the leopards swimming around the launch at LJ. Took a closer look than I intended.

Also make sure to mind the gaff when self rescuing.

12. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,738
    Yep, similar story as yours except I was doing something unusual--I was on my knees, trying to take a whizz off the side of a crappy sit-in yak. Lost my dad's custom built spinning rod as well as my own new curado.
    Can't agree enough with leashing everything you're not prepared to lose

13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,289
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I cannot get to places very fast, but I have never come close to flipping my tube! :emoji_grin:

#13 fisheromen, Nov 13, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,276
    Underwater camera might help if you know exactly where you dumped it. I know of someone who retrieved a set up that way.

15. BassRygg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +299
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    I don't have one of those and it's been a month and a half since it happened. Thanks though.

16. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,216
    Yes

17. Epaleo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +182
    I flipped my malibu at El Cap in the winter. Leaned to far to one side and dunk. Lost everything that didn't have a leash. I had my pfd so it was all good. Only problem was trying to get back on the kayak. It kept on rolling on me. I had been kayaking for 2 years without flipping it. Held on to yak and just kicked it back to shore. I almost quit kayaking that day, but caught a blue cat on a ika! I now have a hobie passport 10.5 that i need to flip.

18. BassRygg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +299
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    Flipping my kayak really rocked me. I almost quit kayaking that day too. It took a couple weeks for me to get over it and then I purchased outriggers to make it more stable. Haven't been out on the water yet, but I will.