Exaggerated Fish Counts

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by LJenProSD, Aug 10, 2018.

1. LJenProSD

LJenProSD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Felt it necessary to throw it out there. Will not mention any boat name or where we went out of, but I confirmed that the reported "fish counts" are tremendously exaggerated. To be clear, the fishing was awesome! caught alot of big fish. The crew kept a tally board, tallying up the fish as we caught them, I checked it out by the end of the day, saw the fish count posted online and they doubled what they actually caught!

For anyone who may work the boats, or all the major landings...you guys really shouldn't be doing that haha.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,797
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    I think it’s only fair if you tell us who it is...

It sure doesn’t help us to know who to avoid if it’s a secret.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,846
    Name:
    Kyle
    I agree, I doubt the whole fleet is doing this, too many fishermen/women would catch on.

4. SonyCbad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +500
    Yup, please disclose... all the boats I have been on are pretty accurate. They specify keepers vs what is released, which helps show a more accurate report too.

I've checked on my frequent trips with the Liberty, San Diego, Chubasco, New Seaforth and all have been pretty accurate.

Only been on the Dolphin a couple times, but remember the fish count being accurate as well.

5. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,846
    Name:
    Kyle
    In addition to the boats mentioned. Daily Double, Premier, Mission Belle, Nu LoAnn, and Old Glory have all been accurate as well to my counts.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Name:
    Eric
    Agreed to disclose. It's bad business practice to sell a lie.

7. LJenProSD

LJenProSD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74
    I will not disclose, the point was make light of this and to inform people to do more research before deciding which boat to book. Don't go by fish counts alone, from what I witnessed, they are most likely exaggerated. Talk to people, read reviews and if your at the docks, look at the deckhand working the docked boats...do they look capable? are they being trained?
    Side rant...lost a good YT at the boat cause the deckhand went for a headshot with the gaffe...overshot the fish and yanked my line, breaking it off. I know that's even more reason to disclose but I don't feel right about it.
    Just wanted to share my experience and what I witnessed.

8. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,797
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Alright, well you’re not exactly helping us make that decision.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,846
    Name:
    Kyle
    Its your right, just saying I personally have not witnessed this with the boats fore-mentioned.

10. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,862
    Name:
    Ray
    I can understand why he doesn't want to post the vessel name...damned if he does and damned if he don't. If he listed the name and it was a favorite of some they will accuse him of either lying or having something against the boat/crew. Some things are just better not said. For those that frequent the boats it will not be hard to look at the counts and figure out which vessel it is.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,864
    Bummer you won’t disclose. As previously mentioned, it doesn’t help if we don’t know. And if your information is only based upon one boat and one experience, or YOUR count it may not be the same for the rest of the fleet or other landings.

I had an interesting occurrence last year on a “reputable” boat. I disclosed the name and the forum practically went ballistic in disbelief. From pinheads who worked on the boat (not present that day) etc. So......

If you won’t say the boat name, will you mention the landing? Will you mention if it is a 1/2, 3/4, 1 day etc type of trip? Also, what your post is based upon?

Thanks. Far too many trolls on here and other sites. You’ve been on this forum since 2014 with 68 messages. I hope you can clarify some questions because based upon your information you’ve generated some concern. I don’t know you and think your anonymity is in intact.

12. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,864
    Also, with regard to your lost Yellowtail, I will say that perhaps 90% of the people on here, who at least care about their meat quality, prefer a head gaff. I tip the deckhands more if I get head gaffs because I don’t lose desirable meat from the pelagics I desire and eat.

I’ll venture to say that some people, who only care about just catching and not catching and consuming don’t care. Curious why since you’ve been a member of this forum since 2014 that you think a body gaff is desirable as opposed to a head shot on a Yellowtail?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. GKR1

GKR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Could be the landing IT guy made a mistake, the Condor not long ago had 9 bluefin for an over nighter that got reported as 9 Bonito. lol

The boats I go on have never inflated numbers, I check the clip board and check later online.

14. BlkFish

BlkFish Active Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Nope
    Would you care to even share legit numbers and what the inflated count was? To be perfectly transparent that would point us to who without saying names.

15. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,136
    Give us something, full day, overnight, 1.5'r? Landing?
    Are we talking yellows, bluefin?
    You checked out their chicken scratch on a "tally plate", is it possible that you misread their chicken scratch?
    I wouldnt put anything past h&m boats but fishermans, point loma, is another story, think they are legit...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie SDRC Neophytes: 9
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,237
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    With people who have background context to where I work I will say I know boats who will exaggerate the released counts. I personally know of some Captains who will only put in released counts if they do poorly on legals and actually do have a good number of short bass.

17. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,797
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    On the Dolphin when we do released bass counts it’s usually a very, very rough estimate. Either it’s nothing, 50, 100, or 150. There’s just no good way to do it accurately. Counts for legal bass are always pretty spot on though.

The Liberty is also very honest about their counts. In the very rare occasion a boat skunk happens because the bluefin are being bluefin, Taro is always quick to go on Instagram and let everyone know what’s going on and what went wrong, which I think says a lot.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie SDRC Neophytes: 9
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,237
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    That is some solid marketing right there though, wish some other boats would do that as well.

19. 65 degrees

65 degrees Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    This has been happening for at least 60 years that I am aware of. That's how they get people to charter their boats. It has never been right. I usually look at the counts and subtract 66 percent.

20. 1956bill

1956bill Member

Ratings:
    +44
    I went out of Seaforth about two weeks ago on the 1/2 day pm. I looked at the fish count for my trip. They were off but they were low. I know because I caught 30+ fish myself and threw them back except for the 4 I kept for taco time ;) great day/eve on the water. Side note. I was throwing hook up bait in red/gold 3/8 oz. guys on the bow next to me throwing iron and swim baits. They did not have near the success I was.