Expensive Unzipping

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by mattgulptosser, Sep 18, 2019.

1. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,639
    Short: Had a great start to a morning kayak fishing MB (6 cuda, 2 calico and 4 solid spotties), tried to piss over the side of a sit-in yak and flipped, losing some nice gear.
    Long:
    Recently a family friend graciously has let me borrow their 'fishing' kayak (complete with two holes for rods and not much else) for my last couple of trips, so today I jetted down to MB in high hopes. The morning started off perfect--6am launch, no wind, nice temperature, little traffic, rising tide.
    I stroked from Dana over to the jetties while trolling an old-fashioned rapala and had 5 barracuda to the yak before reaching my first bass spot. Picked up 2 calicos bouncing a bucktail down the rocks, then moved on to spotties by the bridge. 4 or 5 chunky models later, the bite slowed a bit and I trolled up shallower, near El Carmel point--nabbing another cuda on the way.
    By now, it was only 8:50am or so. But alas, my day was to be cut short due to natural causes.
    I figured, 'why waste time getting off the water and relieving myself the smart, sensible, logical, not-stupid way? I'm a capable young man with limited experience in an unfamiliar kayak, I've got this.' So through some acrobatic rocking and wriggling, I got to my knees and aimed roughly 60 degrees off the port side.
    Zzzzzip, went my fly. Creeeeaaaaak, went my yak. Shhhhhiiiiii--- went I. For a long moment, my dad's custom-built Daiwa spinning rod and my practically unused curado 200 hung in a delicate balance, facing one another as if bidding a solemn farewell from their opposite holds.
    Splash.
    And there went $325 worth of tackle(rods, reels, and my primary box of lures), plus most likely a ~$200 phone (in rice with battery and SIM out, remains to be seen).
    Guess I've got another excuse to go to Turner's. Too bad they don't sell do-overs

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  2. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,496
    Ouch. Sorry about that.

Did you try to regain your balance or just jump off immediately? Because that's what I do anytime I feel like I'm losing my balance on my yak or SUP. I just jump off immediately because it's sorta less "dangerous" than trying to catch your balance and not making it. More likely to tip over that way.

Always have my phone in a regular ziploc sandwich baggie. I jumped out of my yak just about as I was going to flip coming back through the surf one time and had my phone in my pocket. Phone stayed completely dry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,989
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Man, lesson hard learned! Bring a Gatorade Bottle. Make sure you are only drinking red or
    blue Gatorade!

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,639
    Both things I should have done. I thought I could wrench it back over but guess I need to do more ab work in the gym

5. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,989
    mission bay is only like 10' deep?

am i missing something?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Not much more than that. Would you dive for gear in water 10ft deep while your kayak is unanchored?

Btw, the original post, sounds like something I would do.....I got this, no, dammit, f*ck.

7. bobbyhill

bobbyhill Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Boat:
    coral sea ranger85
    i got a big treble and some lead... **** bummer....i bet some one will find em on the beach nearby.

8. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,300
    This advice is golden...

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,639
    Someone else addressed the unanchored kayak+no gear problem, also I had a waterlogged phone and clothes to deal with. The spot I was in was most certainly deeper than 10, plus had ~3ft visibility.
    But still, I'm dragging the area tomorrow morning with a big, weighted treble and heavy line. Y'all can come say hi! Just south-southwest of El Carmel point, look for a red life jacket in a dark green yak

10. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +538
    Good luck, man. That's a rough one.

11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,989
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Consider the tides when dragging.

12. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,989
    youll get em back no problem

ive retrieved gear from the middle of sd bay 50' and even in the kelp 70' with an iron

13. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,989
    i also dove in for gear many times. i swam down 15' to get a crankbait back in winter once

14. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,462
    Well Looks like imma buy a mask and some fins tomorrow.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,496
    Pretty nice of you to do that to help him get his gear back. I’m sure he’s going to appreciate the help.

16. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +642
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Been there done that, we all think it only happens to others...Ha ha, life is really about who has the best stories in the end anyways. Good luck on retrieving them, and like mentioned the tides may have moved them around a bit, so drag a large diameter from your starting point.

17. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,935
    Duuuuuuuude!

Bottle. Always. Even I feel it’s your hydroflask, you can wash it out later.

So did you recover any gear? Also you could try getting a huge magnet and dragging it around. Kind of fun actually. My kids do that around all the docks in FW and have recovered some interesting things. Cell phones, rod holders, skateboard, kids bike, and endless supply of knives, nail clippers, pliers, etc.

Good luck, brother!

18. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,237
    Tough break man. Ive just jumped into the water before, do my business and jump back on the yak. Pissing yourself is always an option too. Just wet your swim trunks down.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,462

20. Rude Baits

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +619
    Been there, done that. Only I wasn't taking a leak, I was reaching for a lure caught on some tules. Leashes/ tethers (along with a PFD) are a kayakers best friend. Sorry to hear about you're loss (I've dumped a brand new CT 200B and a Falcon Lowrider before). Happens to the best of us.