Fall and winter bass fishing at lake murray

Discussion in 'Special Feature: Q&A with Jim Brown' started by Beangone, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Beangone

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +606
    Hi Jim, maybe you can help. I have not been able to even get a bite in lake Murray for almost three weeks. I’m fishing from shore or the dock and have thrown sencos, creature baits, swim baits, flukes, crankbaits shallow, deep and lipless, jigs you name it ......nada. I’m not expecting the holy grail but I sure could use some good advice. Thanks for any help you can give

2. Jim Brown

Jim Brown City Lakes Program Manager 1974-2003 (retired)
    Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +431
    Beangone -
    I'd love to give you the correct answer, but since I don't know, I can't. I can theorize a little and suggest that there may be some correlation to the stocking of DFW rainbow trout which may have become their primary food source. If that is the case, you might want to focus more significantly on swimbaits that replicate trout. Again, I don't know for sure but think that is a reasonable hunch.

Secondarily, you may also be the victim of a late fall/winter decline which is not uncommon - and aside from those who use trout swimbaits - will not improve until February or March with the approach of the spawn.