Fall Fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by toddamus, Oct 21, 2019.

1. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,323
    My birthday is coming up and I was thinking of things I'd like to do. Some people have suggested Vegas which could be fun, but after thinking it awhile, I figured I'd like to break the waders back out and chuck some streamers. I'll be heading out sometime in November and was eyeing up the Kern.

Is the Kern fishable then? Are there other options within a days drive that'll be productive? I'm looking to go for trout and do some classic stream fishing.

2. seacitizen

seacitizen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +106
    it is fishable, and there are some good trout opportunities to be had. personally, I think the best fishing there requires a hike up past the johnsondale bridge however, and that's not someplace I necessarily want to be if the weather switches, which it can do very quickly this time of year. not a lot recourse for help in those canyons. im not saying its not do-able, just be prepared. I believe youre also in the lower section of the golden trout wilderness up there as well. always cool to have a shot at native fish. I wouldn't call it classic stream fishing. I would call it socal stream fishing. a lot of boulder hopping.

3. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,323
    Thanks for the post, when I said classic, and at the time I was typing that I just meant getting my feet wet and wading a bit, staying away from canals and features like that.

#3 toddamus, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,730
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Always the southern Sierra...

5. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,323
    I like the idea. I just don't know much if anything about the Sierras. Is there like a town up that way I could stay in then explore from there?

Kern isn't considered the Sierras is it?

6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,730
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Eastern Sierra is a very different beast from the Kern side, though they are both technically in the Sierras. For the Intel I have, lone pine, independence and Bishop are all very convenient.. if you want info on that area, I have it in spades...

7. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,323
    Yea that'd be great PM me. I'm kinda looking to drive up, chill out in a hotel, and go exploring from there so that'd work out real well.

I just looked into that area, I'm surprised about how fishy it is. I had no idea. As you know I've taught myself everything I know about fishing, or at least have had to seek it out and learn from others because no one in my family really cares. Looking at the different websites and maps, it seems like if you're from here its a well known fishery.

#7 toddamus, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,730
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    toddamus , it is very well known.. when I go up that way, I typically do VERY well.. I use worms typically, so I catch lots of small browns (brookies too, if you're high enough up), I imagine you will catch a bunch too, not always too big, always fun as hell though. Think my last hundred fish day was provided by Inyo county..

9. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,507
    Boat:
    Nice tube cheap yak
    When I fished the GTW, i could almost jump across a stream that held a lot of fish.

If you fish the Kern, there’s a reason that Merle Haggard wrote “Kern River Blues”: it is dangerous, as I found out. Make sure you don’t wear chest waders; wear hip waders.

I haven’t fished where werf is talking about, but his fishing advice has been flawless.

10. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,242
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    toddamus do yourself a favor and drive up the 395 and check it out. There are so many fishin possibilities. The landscape is some of the most majestic in the world. Even if you don’t fish just get up there and check it out. If you really want to fish call or stop by the troutfitter fly shop in mammoth. If it were me a I had never been to the eastern Sierra’s knowing what I know now, I would drive around check it all out, talk to all the fly shops do a lil fishin if you have the time but get to know the lay of the land. There is so much fishin up there and some very good fishin in the winter so there is no rush. Some of the places you can fish year around. We are very lucky to have year around trout fishin fairly close. I think and I’m not alone we have some of the best trout fisheries in the country right there in the eastern Sierra’s.
    I may get back up there in the next couple months or so. You would be more than welcome to follow me around. Lots of lodging year around. Four wheel drive is nice Incase snow storms come in the you won’t have to run home. I done well fishin when it snows.
    Good luck, I’m self thought as well.11 years fly fishin now. I spent the first 7 in the Sierra’s.
    Steve

11. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Not sure I can add anything to the above comments. You didn't mention what your target fish was, whether we're discussing the upper or lower kern, nor what the reference point of the "day's drive" was. At any rate, a few notes:
    1) If you're going in November, note that much of the eastern sierra is closed to trout fishing after November 15. Exceptions include the Owens River, East Walker, Hot Creek, and a few others. As far as I can tell from the regs, the Kern is open all year.
    2) Except for after heavy rainstorms, the kern should be fishable. Mind you I've never done much good there, but i'm not much of a trout fisherman (got some big pike minnows {squaw fish} at the Kern, though). The lower kern also has bass fishing (check with Guy Jeans at the Kern River Fly shop).
    3) Also some fairly good bass fishing in the Lower Owens (mostly big pine & below), which is fairly close.
    4) As mentioned above, plenty of places in the eastern sierras, though you're probably limited to small creeks, if your day's drive means driving there, fishing, and driving back from Kernville area. (??). I know absolutely zip about possibilities in the western sierras... maybe someone can provide insights (never hear much about that on this board, but would like to).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,374
    Do you have a 0wt, 1wt or 2wt (at the most)? If so, PM me. If you're willing to drive to a location near the greater Bishop area, I'll set you up with a little morsel.

13. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,323
    Thanks for everyones help. I'm looking to do some trout fishing so thats kind of why I'm focusing on rivers and streams. I'll be heading up that way for sure. My dad just got a rental for Thanksgiving thats in Three Rivers and it looks pretty insane, I'm stoked. It has a nice little tributary running through the backyard which looks super fishy. Nice little riffle-run-pool set up. It'll be nice to kinda wake up go fish, then in the evening fish without having to travel and all that stuff which adds so much time.

Does anyone have any info about the water around there? Is that considered Eastern Sierra?

#13 toddamus, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  14. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,928
    The Three Rivers I know is Western Sierra, west of Sequoia National Park on the Kaweah River. I have probed around the Kaweah River a bit along HWY 198 but mostly found private property blocking access where I checked. There are plenty of publicly accessible areas though. Hard to find detailed information online or in print but a search of "Kaweah River Fishing" will get you to some pages with the basics.. Not sure what water levels are like this fall. Do check the regulations for that stretch of water - though I think Kaweah and tributaries are open year round with a 5 fish take limit.

Regardless of the fishing, do go up Generals highway into the park and check out the big trees.

15. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,323
    Thanks for the response and thats the river we'll be on. We're lucky, the property we'll be on has private access to a tributary just before the spot where this meets up with the Kaweah in town. I agree with the finding resources are a challenge. I've looked around and there's not much out there.

In the past I've had good luck looking for spots that look fishy on googlemaps and going from there. Seems like there's a lot to explore which is exciting. I think we may have lucked into a cool spot. If I can I may go up there a week or two ahead of time and scope some things out, maybe check out some fly fishing shops in the area, see if I can get a store to point me in the direction of a well known spot and going from there.

Here's hoping the water levels are good. When we were in Steamboat this summer it was just as the snowmelt was hitting and everything was blown out and the current super strong, unfortunate but thats how fishing goes. Maybe fishing karma will repay us.

On a side note, now that I've looked into it more, the difference between eastern sierra and western is pretty obvious. If you googlemap the drive from Three Rivers to Bishop, you'll see why. Apparently there are no roads over the range that has Mount Whitney and you have to go all the way down to Kernville and then back up, something like six-eight hours for a trip that could take one or two.

#15 toddamus, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019