Fat Cat That Much Better Than The Fish Cat?

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by 5-20, Oct 20, 2017.

1. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Thinking about jumping into float tubing. Is the fat cat really that much better than the fish cat. Hoping to sit as high off the water as possible. Seems like the foam seats are more trouble free and comfortable than the inflatable ones so its coming down to between the fat cat and fish cat.

Really, I may even want to add a small trolling motor at some point. Guessing if I do that, I’d really appreciate every bit of added volume in my tube... not sure I really will but it could be cool ✈️ across the lake at San V...

2. rza007

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +923
    Air seats are much more comfortable than foam. It’s worth the extra “trouble” of pumping additional bladders if comfort is important to you.

3. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Interesting. I came across some comments that said inflatable seats can be somewhat troublesome based on varying water temps that might inflate or deflate the seat and it ends up being a bothersome problem. The foam seats are supposed to be more consistent. That’s not your experience?

Really, do the inflatable seats get you any higher off the water than the foam seats? That’s my only concern, really. If the foam seats are lower maintenance, that’s another plus.

4. rza007

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +923
    Foam seats are slightly higher out of the water but the difference could only be measured by millimeters. Foam eventually start to wear down after time leaving u sagging a bit lower. The larger you are the sooner it’ll happen.

Air seats can spring leaks. Salt and sand can get in the valve if you don’t maintain your tube after use.

I’m speaking purely from experience having owned a ODC420, fishcat and fishcat deluxe. If/when I upgrade it will be a super fat cat.
    HTH

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,038
    I've had a super fat cat for a few years now and will never look back. Yes the inflatable seat takes a little more attention as mentioned above. I also think that you sit higher out of the water, having owned two fishcats previously with foam seats. Youre on the right track sticking with outcast float tubes. In the rare case you have problems with your bladders (main, or seat), Outcasts customer service is second to none.

I would not recommend using a troller on any type of 'tube' as opposed to a pontoon set up. Just my two cents.

6. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,038
    ^^^ Theres also an up and coming float tube company called 7bass (european company I think) that has some INSANE float tubes. Expensive, but they look awesome.

SEVEN BASS Design / Clee Fishing

7. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Thanks, Nute. Those 7 bass tubes and hybrid “platforms” look pretty damn cool, especially with those oars. Saw that picture of that guy standing on what seemed to be the jungle platform model. Hmm. Didn’t see any prices but I’m sure those would be a pretty penny.

Hmmm. I used to fish a ton out of a $70 donut tube when I was in college. That was a while ago, though. Getting into and out of those tubes were always tricky! :)

The super fat cat does look really cool. Hmm. I’m going to take a little more time to think about this whole thing.

I guess I would prefer to spend a little extra $ upfront and get a model I will be really happy with and that’ll get me to use it often.

8. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,038
    For what it's worth, cumberland tubes are decent for the money as well. Personally I think the extra cash for a fishcat is worth it.

9. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,635
    Nute, those tubes are cool.
    I'm a big guy and when I'm in my FC Deluxe the water sits right below my knees.
    Fish Cats are worth the money. I thought I saw one at a great deal on the tube for sell forum.

10. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,963
    Dredging this back up because I just clicked on the link above.. and what do you think happened?? Thats right.. a boatload of pop ups telling me that I had just walked into a computer virus. My anti-virus stuff lit up like a friggin Xmas tree. Nicely done.

DONT CLICK ON THE LINK !! ITS NOTHING BUT TROUBLE WAITING TO HAPPEN.

11. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,038
    I just clicked the link on my comment. Went straight to the page. I dont promote the product, so whatever. Link works fine.

12. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,723
    Boat:
    It floats
    PROWLER

13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I have problem with my bladder when I tube, but that is a different problem.

One of the rules for tubing on lakes is you must stay within 100' of shore. Probably not a good idea to cross San V.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. PBcali

PBcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222
    Name:
    PBcali
    Boat:
    Skeeter bass boat
    Not the case for me, i clicked on the link 3 times to check. Loads instantly and clean not sure if your joking or what. Windows 10 pro+ i7-7700k