Favorite Drop Shot Presentation?

Discussion in 'Bass' started by bbermingham, Apr 24, 2015.

1. bbermingham

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36
    Boat:
    Ranger Reata VS190
    It seems like there are a million options for drop shotting -- the length between the weight and the hook, line size, hook types, etc.. I tend to nose hook smaller Roboworms when dropshotting, but I've seen a lot of people wacky rigging or even Texas rigging the worms with great success.

I'm looking for some advice on the presentation and am hoping a few of my fellow "SD Fishers" will chime in. I'm not looking for your secret baits/colors, I'm just curious how you guys fish this technique.
    • Do you tend to stick with one method for hooking the lure or do you switch it up based on conditions? I'm clearly not doing something right, because every time I wacky rig a drop shot worm, it seems to get fouled up pretty easily. Texas rigging the worm also seems to be a bit complicated with the standard drop-shot type hook.
    • I've tried everything from 6 to 48 inches between the weight and the lure. How do you dial it in? Do you try and keep the bait just above the grass or cover?
    • Which type of hook do you use? I seem to have settled on Gamakatsu Drop/Split shotting hooks but have also tried the swivel shot hooks.
    • Swivel or no?
    Thanks in advance for the help!

-Bob.

2. nicapopolis

nicapopolis Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I fish the drop shot often.

Weight - I like using the cylindrical drop shot weights. Less snagging. I adjust the size if the weight depending on wind and depth.

Leader - I have never fished a leader to 48 inches, but anything from 6 in to 18 in is common. Condition dependant of course.

Hook - I almost fish exclusively the Robo Worm Rebarb hook. This has a bait keeper and I fish it weedless. This allows me to throw in cover and not worry about snags as often. I do use the smaller dropshot hooks if I am drop shotting over a rocky area. Then I will nose hook them.

Plastics - I have put lots of different plastics on the drop shot, but generally I fish the 4.5" robos and the color is day/time/weather dependent. I used to fish the bass chow worms a lot too, but have gone back to Robo for durability.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,671
    Boat:
    Tube
    Weight shapes will vary from structure to cover, but the quick release system on the weights is crucial! I like 6-18in between hook/weight and I use 4.5 and 6in straight tail worms. Hayabusa makes a darn good hook. Can't think of the name/model at the moment.

4. bbermingham

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36
    Boat:
    Ranger Reata VS190
    Awesome, thank you! Do you rig the Rebarb hook like this?:
    Robo-Rebarb.jpg

5. nicapopolis

nicapopolis Member

Ratings:
    +6
    For the most part, yes. I push the hook out and then back through though.

6. nicapopolis

nicapopolis Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm not sure what knot you tie for your dropshot, but I rig a Palomar knot and then take the tag end and put it back through from top to bottom.

When you pull on the tag end your hook should be facing up, thus driving the point and the barb up to the hard roof of the fishes mouth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,727
    robo worms...dreamshot...yamamoto shad shaped worms are really sick...stnt baits are awesome local baits...ive always tx rigged on 1/0 ewg hook....length between hook and weight varies...smalles would be the length of the bait up to 12 inches at the longest....weight stays on the bottom...action is created from the line between the hook and the weight...im pretty subtle when working d/s...not to much shaking and action...just some dragging and dropping of my rod tip...

8. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,693
    20lb braid tied to a swivel or directly to 6 lb fluoro leader. I mostly use a 3/16th weight unless it's really windy then I go up to 1/4oz. If you're pulling up lots of grass with a nose hooked worm then switch out the hook to a really small worm hook for tex-posing. You just have to set the hook sooner to avoid gut hooking them. Leader length 8-18"

#8 BassinNova, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  9. MjBarker

MjBarker Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I have luck with texas rigging a 6inch worm on a 1/0 texas rig hook. I also like using the cylindrical drop shot weights about 18 inches from the hook With 8lb line and spinning rod.

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,859
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Very short tag line can be killer if there are no weeds. Makes the worm look like it is rooting around. I know that T-rig does the same thing, but I just prefer DS.

Just to clear up any confusion (I think) what some people call t-rig is actually texposed hooking. T-rig actually has a bullet weight in front of the hook.

11. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    My buddy is a serious drop shot guy, me not so much :) . He uses only one thing. Size 1 EWG with the line pinch weights in 3/16 and 1/4 and MM-III worms. The worm is 7" long and his tag end is the length of the worm at the shortest no longer that 14" he does very well with a drop shot.

:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. Surf1

Surf1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    ODC 420
    Bob,
    I rarely drop shot, but when I do....
    I prefer using an Owner Mosquito Hook in Size 1 or 2. IMO nose hooking a 4.5 or 6" roboworm is tough to beat. I would say I use 6 lb test most of the time and 8lb test in lakes with lots of stickups. Or if your getting hung up switch to a rebarb hook. I have tried the swivel hooks and am not a fan. Tie with a palomar knot back thru the eye. I prefer short leader lengths most of the time of between 4-8 inches. Tungsten tear drop weights are nice, but the lead ones are just as good and cheap. If it's really tough try using a Team Davies Ventana drop shot weight which has a rattle in it. I have also been just as successful using 10lb braid to a 6 or 8 lb leader.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. ryan2421

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +108
    I agree with the rebarb hooks. You can nose hook or text exams rig the work depending if you need a weedless approach or not. I have just recently switched to braid w/ a floro leader bc I was very skeptical with my knot skills after loosing a bunch of fish. I've learned to trust the Alberto knot when tying a floro leader. The difference in sensitivity on the same rod/reel is unreal. I also prefer cylindrical weights. 3/16 - 1/2oz depending on how windy it is.

I also prefer 6" and 7" worms when DS'ing.

And as for the tag end I usually don't go further than the handle of my rod.

14. Zac Ames

Zac Ames Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    12 pound xxx izorline, 6-18 inch leader, 3-4 size offset hooked tied on a dropper loop (prevents the line from getting tangled, as well as can get through cover easily without getting hung up), 8 inch westerns, done deal.

15. Inder_sdbassmasters

Inder_sdbassmasters Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Boat:
    Ranger
    Yes, nicapopolis is right on with the Rebarb especially if your throwing the bait in cover. With open water try a light wire saltwater fly line bait hook. It is straight, causes less line twist, it will not flex open on a giant and with a nose hooked bait the bait will swim to the bottom instead of spiraling down. The swimming action will get you more bites on the fall.

16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,859
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Most interesting! ;)