Favorite lb braid on a lowpro baitcaster?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Easy619, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,955
    Name:
    Eric
    So I've been fishing conventionals more lately and my thumb is getting pretty decent, took my curado 200 out yeaterday and was casting almost the whole spool of 12# mono with a .75oz megabait. Considering running braid with a leader on that setup for bonito season. Currently I only have braid on a few spinning setups and a few conventionals, haven't tried it on any of my lowprofile casters. This will be for a pier setup so not worried about rocky terrain. Looking to get some more line capacity. Considering either 30 or 40lb braid to short leader. What pound braid do you guys prefer on a baitcaster and why? I'll mainly be throwing megabaits on this combo, letting it sink and doing kind of a yoyo retrieve. Thanks in advance.

2. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,748
    15lb Daiwa J braid does it for me. You’re using 12 lb test. Your line should break before the braid.....

3. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Sufix 832 has been my favorite braid for general bay and surf fishing over the last 3 years.

4. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,955
    Name:
    Eric
    Specifically what # do you like on baitcasters?

5. Deep color

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +520
    30lb

6. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,583
    If this is for your Curado 200, I would go with #30. You don't necessarily want to go with a too thin braid on baitcasting reels because then the line digs into itself a little easier, and you'll probably end up with more backlashes. I have #30 on my Curado 200e and #40 on my Curado 300. I have #50 on my Lexa 400HD.

It's a great casting line with very good abrasion resistance. Very easy to tie good knots that snug up just right.

7. tjohnson619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +229
    Boat:
    16ft Basstracker
    30-50lb on all my low pro bait casters with braid... i would put 30lb on your 200 esp for casting distance... i have 50 on a couple 100 size but that is for freshwater frogs/heavy cover where you dont get the distance

30lb braid is about same diameter as 8lb mono

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,152
    I wouldn’t necessarily go above 30lb, depending on your leader weight. I’ve had issues with my connection knots occasionally knicking into the last eye going from 40lb to 17lb FL using both an Alberto and Uni-Uni connectors.

30lb PP SuperSlick seems to play well for me with 15lb Seagur or 12lb Mono

9. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,955
    Name:
    Eric
    I've been doing uni to uni but have been watching RP knot videos and want to give that a try as it's supposed to be a smaller knot (and stronger). Is a 1.5 ft leader with the knot after the guides too short? The rigs i fish with braid typically don't have the knot going through the guides at all ( rockfish rig and bonito splasher). I'm not a big fan of knot through the guides. The last week I've been experimenting with braid on a spinner with various leader lengths for a luckcraft and it seems like a rod length leader where the knot goes through all the guides seems to catch less friction than a 3ft leader where the knot goes through only the last 2 for some reason.

Thanks for the input, I'm going to try 30lb braid to 12# mono and see what length leader i like best on this particular setup.

10. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,152
    I'd say from the pier the leader length is really less relevant if you're splashing or chucking MBs. Rockfish drops don't need a leader at all since the rigging is most likely Mono or a heavy FL anyway.

I don't experience any issues with connections my Spin setups due to the guide sizes and use a 40#Br to 17#FL / Mono currently with about a 6yd leader length

Can't wait to start hitting the pier in graylight before work...

#10 Chriwilson, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  11. Mhcato

Mhcato Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +121
    I usually like to keep the diameter of braid similar to my leader. Since I normally use 8-12lb leader I prefer 30lb braid. I also think it handles the best on low profile baitcasters. I personally don’t mind the knot going through the eye because I am usually fishing from a boat and super long cast aren’t an issue. I also hate tying the leader to braid connection so I use 2- rod lengths of leader which will last many outings worth of changing lures and rigs, including re-tying dropshot after they get wed but by halibu, before I have to tie a new leader. Best and thinnest knot for the connection is the FG knot. It is super thin and strong when tied right but it is a bit tricky. Checkout the saltstrong videos on their website or YouTube videos on how to tie it. Uni-to-uni is easier and faster to tie but a lot bigger than the fg and doesn’t go through the eye as well so it shortens casting distance for me. These days I use the uni more mainly because I’m lazy and it’s easier then the fg

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Easy619, seems like you know what you're doing with those 3' leaders. That's really the only way to go with baitcasting or conventional rods when you're fishing straight braid and want to be able to get any kind of significant distance with your casts. Keep the leader knot out of the rod. It really helps to use one of those tactical angler clips or whatever you feel comfortable with unless it affects the action of the lure.

13. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,583
    One last tip while I'm at it. I think Dana Landing is the only place in town that has 832 in bulk spools, and sometimes that's the best way to fill up your reel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  14. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,955
    Name:
    Eric
    I've fished up there a few times in the last couple weeks and planning to hit a day or two this week. It's still a bit early for the bonies, they didn't show till end of september last year, but I'm trying to get on em on the first run this year before the bonito mafia shows up and the pier turns into a quarter mile long cattle boat again lol

Also I'll hit you up when I'm planning to go on a full day boat for tuna. Was hoping to do it in the next week or two but some unexpected expenses have popped up

15. Bassmann86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +616
    I would run 40lbs power pro maxcuatro with 16-20lbs Sunline FC100 leaders