FCC to end debt collectors calls?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Meezer_Man, May 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Debt collectors make money based on their ability to bother people who don’t want to be bothered, but how can you bother people if you can’t reach them?

That’s essentially the argument of ACA International–the trade association that represents the debt-collection industry–which is expressing concerns about a proposed FCC rule that would allow telecom companies to block unwanted robocalls by default. Although ACA wouldn’t use the word “bother,” the group said in a statement Friday that the proposal is problematic because it could prevent legitimate businesses from communicating with consumers.

“We strongly support tailored efforts to combat illegal and fraudulent robocalls which are a huge problem for all of us who are consumers,” Leah Dempsey, ACA International’s senior counsel and vice president of federal advocacy, said in a statement. “However, consumer harm results when legitimate business calls are blocked or mislabeled and people do not receive critical, sometimes exigent information they need. We have urged the FCC to provide guidance on how to immediately correct any faulty blocking or mislabeling of calls.”

The concern is a real one. As phone companies implement more aggressive technologies to combat the scourge of robocall scams, it’s conceivable that some legitimate phone calls will get caught up in the net. As such, ACA International is warning the FCC not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

At the same time, it’s hard to muster much sympathy for this particular baby. Debt collectors are notorious for strong-arm tactics, outright threats, and fraud. And debt-collection agencies have proven, time and again, that they can’t police their own behavior. According to the FTC, debt collectors generate more complaints than any other industry.

2. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Name:
    Kenny
    Who cares about debt collectors. I'm so sorry that you got yourself in debt and now have to answer the phone a few more times. Get out of debt, that's the lesson. Stop the robo calls to people who have no business receiving them in the first place.

3. Bullyo

Bullyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156
    Agreed! Paid off my student loans 15+ years ago. Still get calls offering to "help me resolve my student loan debt"

4. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,928
    Recent CFPB proposals would allow texts and email from Debt Collectors to their targets daily.
    Debt collectors could soon be allowed to call, text and email you every day

I find this disconcerting.

I have been harassed by debt collectors several times, - just because I have the same name, or even a name close to someone who owed money. Or they were trying to reach someone else and had incorrect information.

Yet I have never been delinquent on a debt - ever!

Just a couple of months ago I was harassed by hundreds of robo calls to my home and cell numbers by a debt collector. They were spoofing and changing the calls' originating number which made it impossible to block. Eventually it stopped but it flooded my voice mails and I had to turn the ringers off on the phones and go through the call logs to see who I wanted to call back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,823
    Name:
    Larry M
    I've had my cell phone number for over 30 years and I received calls from debt collectors for someone called Miller who is supposed to have my number. I guess that they just pass the debt collection from one agency to another when one gives up.
    Sometimes I play games with them, "no their not here right now", "they should be back later ", "okay I'll have them call you back".
    Sometimes they will get nasty with me and thats when I really have fun.

#5 Larry M, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  6. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Hey folks, not associated in any way and not trying to advertise this but honestly, it looks like Truecaller app works fine on my iPhone. Since I have installed it a couple weeks ago I haven't received unwanted call while before I was called almost daily.

7. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,498
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Interesting… And here I thought the CFPB was originally created in the aftermath of the 2008 financial crises to protect consumers from predatory lenders, illegal foreclosures, shady financial advisors, etc.

Then again, debt collection is a $11B industry. What a difference a couple of years has made…

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.