February 2017 storms, effects on lakes

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Kellen, Feb 27, 2017.

1. boomstikit

boomstikit Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Kellen

Do you have an update on Upper Otay? Water level? Fish counts? Overall health of the lake?

Thanks.

2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    Upper Otay was spilling, so it'll be completely full until evaporation starts doing its thing.

I don't get much info from there regarding the fishing. The anglers that regularly go up there try to keep it quiet.

There has been a lot of talk the last few years about a giant fish kill at the lake. A few anglers pleaded to me to get it looked into, so I reached out to Russell Black, one of our region's biologists with the CDFW and he went up there and took a look and some water samples. By the time all this happened though it was several months after it was reported.

The water tested fine at that time, and he observed juvenile fish (bass and bluegill) in and around the tules.

I believe that something absolutely did happen up there, likely a severe algae bloom in the fall a few years ago. Those algae blooms suck out oxygen, and the largest fish in the lake are the first to die. So I think a lot of the catchable sized fish, like the bass, got wiped out. I have no real concrete evidence of that, and never saw any photos of widespread loss of life or anything. But all the reports from different anglers saying something was up were telling to me obviously.

I think the lake will be rebounding soon. All those juvenile fish should be catchable size by now, and should be of mature age to start reproducing on their own now. I bet we start seeing some encouraging signs there this spring.

Upper Otay served as the stock pond for basically the entire distribution of florida strain largemouth bass in the west. So the fish population in Upper Otay is an important part of history, and the CDFW would be really reluctant to ever mess with it in terms of restocking or anything. Its a gene pool that they'd like to keep intact as long as possible - all the fish in there are direct descendants of those bass shipped in from Florida in the early 1960s.

So hopefully it rebounds on its own.

If any of you regulars at Upper Otay continue to see negative signs, we can try to reach out to some environmental groups and see about testing the water more extensively. I've heard people with all sorts of theories on pollutants and what not, so if it doesn't rebound, it'd be worth it to dig deeper.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. boomstikit

boomstikit Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for the info.

You Da Man!!!!

4. John345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +508
    Name:
    John V
    Kellen,

Any news on Morena today? Is there still runoff going on up there? Did they ever get close to the 100 mark?

Thanks

5. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    I'll check in with James tomorrow. I try not to bug these guys every day, especially in times like this when they're scrambling around to get docks adjusted, rental boats bailed out, trash cans, picnic tables and porta potties back on dry land.

I just heard from Butch at Lake Cuyamaca, they have all sorts of chaos going on up there it sounds like, they were releasing water from the west end of the lake into the east end to try to prevent flooding/damage to their facilities, but there was so much water coming in that the water from the east end was pouring over the weir back into the west end at a rate that was higher than they could release. Kind of crazy. So they have some major cleanup on their hands.

Good news regarding that, sounds like any DFW trout stocks they get right now will be put into the east end of the lake (fly fishermen rejoice).

6. Big Daddy TR21

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,225
    Boat:
    Skeeter ZX225
    Kellen any word on DV
    or Skinner?

7. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,890
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Took this photo at Hodges, just west of the narrows....Kellen doesn't know everything! Screenshot_20170301-180618.png

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. John345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +508
    Name:
    John V

Do you mean the East end on the other side of the walkway where it's always just a big dry basin? I have only been up there a couple of times, but I didn't even know that other side could fill up with water. Will that water stay there or dry out quickly?

9. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    Yup. It has water from time to time. Its shallow obviously, so it'll dry up within a year just because of evaporation. But the fly fishermen love it when it fills up, they can wade all around it.

10. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,077
    I knew it. I frickn knew LB would never have lied to me about the Hodges Monster.
    I just told my wife about the monster and showed her the picture, she said I'm a jack ***.
    Pictures and the internet don't lie man.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    DV has no watershed so it's not going to change from rain.

I haven't looked into Skinner yet.

12. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    Fish get washed over the levee as it fills too, so there are already fish in there now. Last time they drained it there were thousands of dead micro crappie clogging the screen up.

13. Fishguy82

Fishguy82 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Name:
    JS
    Morena is a few feet shy of the 100' mark. Both creeks are still pumping into the lake and the lake is beginning to spread out over the shallows to the north.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  14. BadBilly

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +705
    Name:
    Bill
    As of Monday evening visibility at San V. Was about 30' maybe a little more. I don't have any info about Lower Otay or Murry though.

15. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +720
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  16. John345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +508
    Name:
    John V
    Wow I can't wait to see that next week. I have only been living in this area for about 7 years. So since the drought started. I have never seen any water in that north end. Would be awesome if my cabin was water front for once. I always stay at the cabins and imagine how cool it must have been when the lake was full and those were actually on the water.

17. Big Daddy TR21

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,225
    Boat:
    Skeeter ZX225

I can tell ya Sunday that Porta Potty was 10 plus feet higher on the bank. That's how much the lake came up in just 2 days. That is up about 14 feet in those two days and again probable more by now!!

18. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,115
    Imagine where it would be if all that water wasn't drafted out last year

19. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,077
    Lori,
    Thanks for putting the water levels out early. You and Kellen make things very easy for the rest of us.

20. San-Man

San-Man New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Not my post but I just came across this short drone video of Otay on Facebook: