Finally! a fishing report with fish!

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Swgityswag, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Swgityswag

Swgityswag Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +231
    Well this is a first for me I think lol. The first report I post with fish in it lol. Went to MB north jetty last night looking for some mackerel and an absolute skunk lmao. Didn't get any macks so grabbed some frozen grunions and headed north. Got to the spot, put some grunion on, casted out and BAM! a good size shovel nose. Instantly Im just like well this is the best fishing day and my life is finally complete. Casted out again and BAM! caught the exact same fish again! HOLY MOLLY it was none stop action craziest day I have ever had(only ended up with 4 fish tho lmao, called it quits since my arms were getting sore). Many fishermans on the beach but I don't think anybody else caught anything. Usually, im the one who is eyeing other people's caught jealously and finally im that guy. WOOHOO its a pretty nice change of pace to see those plebs uhhh i mean peasants uhhh i mean people eyeing my catch for once(stupid auto cucumber lol). Anyways Thanks so much Coach for showing me how to surf fish and Bear6813 for showing me the spot! Couldn't thank you guys enough!

On a sad note, I did hook onto what i think is a short-fin corvina and the fish swallowed it really deep. I had no idea what the reg was around those guys and I didn't know what to do. One of the fisherman's around me said I could just cut the line as far down as possible and get it back in the water. Did that and watched it swim off but damn don't think i did the right thing. Really bummed out about that, don't want to hurt fish that I'm not gonna harvest anyways. Coach plz let me know what i should have done so I dont do that again....

WechatIMG2137.jpeg

WechatIMG2136.jpeg

2. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,194
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    Huh, didn't know there were vina around that spot.

That being said, corvina are very fragile fish; It looks like its bleeding from the gills so it might not have made it. AFAIK there is no size regs on corvina so if its bleeding like that just take it home. Damn nice job on that guitarfish tho; thing's a beast.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,971
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Nice fish.. and yes, next time harvest that short fin.. right thing to do

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +231
    Thanks guys for the info. Damn now I feel extra bad lol heard they taste pretty good

5. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,316
    First off, nice catches. Those are some quality fish to be your first.

Also, I drove by that spot this evening and saw several guys fishing (as there always seems to be there) and wondered if, and what, people catch at that location. I guess I know, now.

6. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,194
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    I've always heard that its a good spot for guitarfish

7. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,140
    Only mullet, nothing to see here...
    :emoji_joy:

8. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,880
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    That’s a nice size shovelnose bro! Glad you were able to finally avoid a skunk.

9. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +231
    Thanks man! U taught me a lot and was my inspiration for shark and ray fishing lol. If this spot keeps producing high quality fish I would love to go fish it with u some time my dude!

10. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,880
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Yeah I may meet you down there one of these days. Maybe Bear can meet us there too. I know that spot that he recommended for you to fish. Won’t mention where, but I know it’s a difficult place to find parking

11. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +231
    lmao no joke, think i might have spent more time getting over there and trying to find parking than actually fishing lol but ya that would be awesome. Thanks again bear for showing us the spot!

12. Sktmar

Sktmar Member

Ratings:
    +5
    What rig did you use? Did you use the full grunion or cut up into sections? Thanks

13. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +231
    Just a normal Carolina rig. Used full size grunion, put the hook through its eye socket twice then pierce it on the back to expose the hook(I think its how people rig up sardines for salmon?) Lol I don't think what Im doing is optimal I think a drop shot with fresh cut macks will work just as well if not better if you have some bloody mack heads(think mack heads are better for sharks and bat ray?)

14. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +231
    Btw met a nice lady named Katie who is not on the forums yet so I was just like girl whatchu been doing fishing without being on the forums. Hopefully we will have a new member coming soon lol

15. Sktmar

Sktmar Member

Ratings:
    +5

Thanks! I’ve got a ziplock of frozen grunion in the freezer and have been wondering if I could use them whole

16. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,880
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Well I wouldn’t use a drop shot rig for sharks and rays. A Carolina rig is what I use for sharks and rays. Braid as main line and heavy mono as leader line. To be extra safe you could use wire as well. I usually use about half of the mack (the head with half of the body). Then I use the tail half of the mack on my smaller rod. And I always made the mistake of thinking that a mack is “too big” to use whole or live. Lol I just recently caught a 3 foot smoothhound on a live mack.

17. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +231
    The best advice I can give is don't listen to me lol Idk what im talking about. People like Tmaio123, Werfless, Bear6813 they r your guy. Super nice awesome people too so don't be afraid to reach out

18. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,971
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I prefer a breakaway rig for sharks, personally.. just saying...

19. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,880
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Oh yeah that’s always good too. Or for the surf you use the Sputnik weight, but I don’t really know how to use it lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,971
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    No need for all that, IMO. I do love a chunk of steel indirectly attached to the hook when I am looking for the man in the suit

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List