First CA trout

Discussion in 'Trout' started by Easy619, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,271
    Name:
    Eric
    After striking out again last week at Jennings (campground lake access), I decided to fish santee today. Fished 2-7. Brought a couple bass rods too. Walked the shoreline, gameplan was power bait on the trout rod, dropshot senko on a light spinning rod and a t-rig senko on a heavy casting rod.
    Hooked a pretty decent bass on the dropshot, he pulled drag pretty good on 6#, but shook the hook near shore. Got a good look, solid fish. Havent fished for largemouth in a lonnnnnnng time.
    No bites for several hours, and then finally stuck my first california trout. Fun fight on 2#. Fun times, glad to check that one off as the season is winding down. I'm enjoying this lake fishing, nice to get away from the mobs or morons on the coast and hang with some ducks haha. Might have to go after largemouth when the trout dry up.
    20220315_173601.jpg

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,232
    I find freshwater fishing in SoCal to be too shoulder-to-shoulder and competitive. Not your experience so far?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,271
    Name:
    Eric
    Well, I havent experienced that so far but then again I've been fishing at my convenience; weekdays in the afternoon, several days or a week after the stocks. Probably a different story on the morning after a stock.
    I get my shoulder-to-shoulder action on the sport boats, and I'm only willing to deal with that for the grade of fish and the power they have. I dont care enough about a trout limit to deal with the crowds. I'm dabbling with freshwater for a change of pace, not really expecting or looking for big numbers at this point.

4. rza007

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +982
    Getting away from the mob at a SD lake is a rare site. Our trout lakes make open party sport boats look like ultra limited private charters. It’s combat fishing to the max!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,271
    Name:
    Eric
    All you gotta do is go on a day you're unlikely to catch one hahaha

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,440
    Bass fishing at Santee can be difficult and is more like a war of attrition in my experience but nice going on the trout!