First Outing in New Tube

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Kam_Walsh98, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,544
    After my caddis Nevada developed a big seam tear during the summer and I contacted the company 3 times about it with no response, I decided to upgrade to a better mode. Fortunately for Christmas I got an outcast fish cat 4 and was excited to try it around Coronado. Fishing itself was unspectacular; pretty much nonstop action but nothing was too big. Probably caught at least 50 dinks. Was bummed because when I pulled up earlier to the spot I wanted to fish someone came up to me and told me I probably had only an hour to fish before the marina owner showed up. Apparently he “banned” float tubing in the harbor. It never ceases to amaze me how many people in this state find an issue with people recreationally fishing. Not wanting to christen the new tube with a heated legal debate, I ended up settling with the other spot.

The tube itself worked great; lots more room than the caddis and it was pretty nice being able to sit on top of the water. I’m thinking about installing a rod holder setup and even an anchor but I don’t want to weigh it down too much. The wind and tide were both working against me on my way back to the launch and it was a struggle getting back. One disadvantage to the above-water seating is the lack of propulsion; I wasn’t able to get the full range of motion with my kicks that I got with my previous tube. However, it’s definitely an upgrade and I look forward to using it more.

B8740BD7-BD81-48A2-A074-1AB9F5F6E397.jpeg

CE7C8F5B-9025-4B6D-A2CF-5F3957E5CC7F.jpeg

CF3F8761-A46F-405F-8976-3D96CB091A92.jpeg

3274F65B-95CA-494E-B1FC-B32D91F727C5.jpeg

234CED4D-645B-49B7-94FE-8955BD08F9CE.jpeg

DA1CEDFC-F3D3-44F6-8186-9D3C865BFBD8.jpeg

2. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,340
    Name:
    Eric
    Nice work man! Definitely looks like a 50 bass thumb haha

3. inthedeep2

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +419
    I'm pretty sure more will chime in but the banned float tubing is not the law, that's the marina owner talkiing. the water is for public use so use it, just be respectful around the docks and boats.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  4. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,544
    I concur but from some of my experiences last year they don’t care about the law and will make a big stink about it anyways. Didn’t feel like dealing with the trouble this morning. I think I’ll be back later this week earlier in the morning now that I know what hours he clocks in at.

5. Fourtogo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +858
    Any talk statements about a ban is complete bulltwinkies. Any and all water is legal to fish . Any docks piers are and can be owned . But after that they can’t claim ownership of the water . Court cases have been won the public the state owns the water . Ignore him you can offera harbor patrol number . Do video him though while he’s making his claims and statements.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,423
    welcome to bay fishing

I've been fighting that battle for 28 years.

You're not allowed to fish here. Yes i am. No you're not. Yes I am.

Agee that sometimes it's not worth it

7. Oldflyer

Oldflyer Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Interesting about the Marina. There is an oil Co. island close, and easily accessible by float tube, or kayak in Long Beach (Grissom Island), and it is a fine place to fish. However, there is a Marina bordering the island, and "they" have chased several float tube fishermen away. So, I was out there in my yak in open water, no where near the piers and a young smart *** started yelling at me from the shore that I could not fish there. I told him he was mistaken, then a chubby fellow in some kind of uniform who claimed to be Harbor Patrol joined him and echoed his command to leave. The fools actually turned around a sign that said "no fishing", but, was hanging facing toward the break water. Of course when they flipped it up to show me, it was upside down. They yelled out sme LB Municipal code in justification. I was pissed but left.

I looked up the code; and sure enough it applied to shore fishing from docks, etc. in the Marina, and had nothing to do with fishing from the water side.

I got into a dialogue with the Marina Manager by phone and email. After fumbling around for a few hours he came up with a LB code that defines the very expansive boundaries of the Marina--really expansive--and prohibits all kayaks, paddle boards, and such within those boundaries. Doesn't matter what you are doing, or not doing. (Interestingly, although it is very specific in naming banned water craft, it does not mention float tubes.)

The same LB code actually applies to most of Alamitos Bay as well, but they do not enforce it.

So, long story, but the bottom line is the question of whether San Diego has such a municipal code as well; and if so how it defines the boundaries of the "prohibited" waters. If not, screw the Marina Manager he has not right to object.

I think the LB code is crap; and if I had the where with all, I would gladly test it in court viz a viz California water access laws. But, alas.

8. Fourtogo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +858
    Oldflyer they LBC got dragged in to court with the harbor master and port commissioner. This was a law suit , they were each asked what their stance was . After hearing their babble from each . None of them could produce any relevant statue or fact or security issue to back their restrictions . The Judge told them the water is public access and can be used by the public . You can not block the public from free access or movement . They can fish on the water also . Long Beach code isn’t enforceable the judge told them such. The manager is quoting old law and he’s full poop . He knows that he just hopes you don’t . I have asked harbor/sheriff department in Newport . I was told the same thing . He also told me that people buy a bay side home . And owners think they own the water THEY DONT a quote >> They own the dry beach but not the wet sand << same argument Malibu people have . Owners own the docks piers gang ways sea walls . But that’s were it ends for ownership. Long Beach is special place for the , you can look but don’t stay but leave your money and get hell out of here . This biggest reason I fish at night , because these aholes have to get home before there Mommies start yelling for dinner .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Oldflyer

Oldflyer Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Hey, Thanks Fourtogo. That is good to know. When the jackass Marina manager quoted the codes to me I had no way of knowing if they were valid; although I thought they might not hold up to challenge. Glad someone did. I am new to the area, but apparently the long time Float Tubers did not know this.

As I said in my post, I have not had any problems at Alamitos, where a broad area of the bay is covered by the same codes, and where I launch from the stub street at 69th, and fish in front of the Harbor Patrol Hdgtrs. At Newport I launch from a stub street in front of a home that I learned was on the market for $44Mil. No problems. (I only fish in the best neighborhoods)

Glad someone did take LB to court, and I will pass your message to the guys at Floattubefishingforum. If you know the area, you know that Grissom Island is an excellent fishing spot; and there is no logical reason for the marina boundaries to be as broad as they are anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Fourtogo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +858
    Newport has a curfew 6am 10pm . The CC/HP Office beach , there is maybe one two of them >> they would deny it << stick official looking signs up about launching off that beach . If you want launch in South end peninsula side K street New Port Beach << it’s has a low wall to zero hight wall . It’s all about being quite before 6am .

11. Oldflyer

Oldflyer Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I used to do Newport more before I found Huntington. I have launched at Jst and Kst. Those are easy Kayak launches, and no hassle, Usually arrive between 6 and 6:30. With the Yak it is easier to pedal over to the Corona del Mar side if I wish than drive over and find parking etc.

12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,727
    Kam.. don't be shy about giving me a call when you're ready to go back to this particular marina. As long as we're in a legit place in navigable water, I have no problem climbing all over anyone that thinks he or she can climb on any one of us for fishing. Its easy to put these idiots on their knees. No yelling, no screaming, nothing physical - unless they assault us in some manner.

And I'm thinking how awesome it would be to get a group of a dozen of us down there. We could have a regular floatilla run through the place - quietly and en masse. Anyone willing to help with Kams' Cause? I'm in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. FOE_RUNNER

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,430
    Those are some nice spotties! I think I need to invest in a tube and fish in water that people say I cannot fish! lol
    KEEP IT UP KAM!