First Post and Some Questions.

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by FishingFireman, Nov 24, 2019.

1. FishingFireman

FishingFireman Active Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Name:
    Andrew
    Hello SDfish community, my name is Andrew and I am a fairly new fisherman for San Diego and I would like to start learning more on how to catch bay bass, halibut, corvina, bonito, etc. So my questions are:

What are some versatile rod and reel combos I should be looking at to target these species if on a budget? (100-200$ range)

Baits, rigs, set ups?

Any other advice I should know?

Thanks everyone.

2. FishingFireman

Ratings:
    +38
    Name:
    Andrew
    Also another thing, I have been fishing on the piers here and there for quite some time and have caught mackeral and all that good stuff, haha. Caught some sharks and rays as well, but I would really like to start getting into bass fishing in the bay, so anything a beginner should know is welcomed!

3. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,301
    I like two basic rigs, both 7 ft in length. I use a medium baitcasting rig, set up with 8 lb line, and a medium heavy rig with 14 lb line. I don't bother to spend too much money on either of these setups, and they will cover most of the bay species. The sharks and rays will probably need a heavier rig, although I have caught both rays and shovelnose sharks on my basic rigs.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,718
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Read DJ Thrillz’s two excellent tutorials on Fishing MB and Fishing SD Bay then read them again. There’s pretty much everything you need to know in those two long articles.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,947
    Welcome to the forum!

7 and 1/2 to 8 foot medium power fast action rod with a 3000 size reel ought to work for you. Too many to try and name. Penn, Daiwa, Shimano all have salt rated reels in that range. Rods: Tsunami Air Wave, Penn Prevail, Ugly stick elite...too many! LOL!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  6. DarrenSki

DarrenSki Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +199
    This is my setup right now.

7ft st croix tidemaster MH moderate
    Diawa bg 3000
    20lb braid with 10-12 lb flouro leader

Uglystick elites are good rods. I have used them for many years and never had any issues. $50

I picked up the diawa bg this year and so far, Im a big fan. Think you can find them around $100

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. F1$H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +366
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 13
    dropshotting anything gulp in the bays will always catch something.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,662
    Name:
    Eric
    Welcome, you came to the right place. Mosy people use a 7' rod, with a 2500-4000 size spinning reel or 200 baitcaster., 8-12lb line. What you've been using for mackerel should be ok for bay bass. Plastics with curly tail or paddle tail, rigged either on a 1/4 - 3/8 jighead, texas rig, or dropshot. Zman and gulp are popular. Dropshot will keep you on the bottom but get hungup in grass more than a texas rig. The bay bass like to hangout in the eel grass or near the rocks. Fishing these types of lures in the bay will result in mostly spotted bay bass. Stay mobile, keep moving and casting till you find some. For halibut, dropshot plastics or jerkbaits work. For Corvina jerkbaits or topwater lures. Bonito like fast shiny things like megabaits. Any 7-8' rod rated medium or medium heavy will do. An ugly stik elite or inshore with either an okuma or kastking spinner, or a piscifun torrent baitcaster would serve you well for around 100$. Good luck and post some reports.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  9. NibbleSquad

NibbleSquad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +460
    a rod that can do everything would be a 7ft medium heavy with 12# mono. 10 is a little too light and anything higher you’ll loose casting distance. If your just going to target spotties I like throwing my trout gear 2-4# with a ned rig. Many 50+ fish trips on that.

for halibut/corvina I’m sure you’ll get recommendations for luckycraft jerkbaits but I would encourage you to look elsewhere. They are wildly overrated and overpriced for the quality. Go with something else like a rapalla . A sardine pattern or bone color is a safe choice to make. One deep diver and another shallow diver.

for bonito throw any shiny iron 1 oz and under. I’ve had some luck this year off OB pier early in the mornings

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. F1$H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +366
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 13
    I highly recommend trying surf fishing as well.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. FishingFireman

Ratings:
    +38
    Name:
    Andrew
    Man I appreciate all the advice guys! Looks like I’ll be visiting a few websites and tackle shops to see what I would like. But seems that the major consesus as far as rods and reels is 7-8ft med heavy that can cast 1/4-1oz and the reels seem pretty versatile, those daiwas have caught my eye. As for baits the curly tailed plastics either drop shot or Texas rig sounds good. I’ve never really fished any plastics before other than in the surf for perch with the sandworm. I’ll be sure to post reports once I start getting out there! Thank all you guys!

12. TekAngler

TekAngler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I have 30-40 different rods and reels and they have all caught fish in the bays. If you just wanna look cool from shore with a baitcaster...don't...not worth the hassle. Conventional reels for bigger stuff, and spinning reels are better.Since I need to cut down on buying tackle I'll tell you the best place to get some: Kobey's swap meet Fri-Sun. There's a guy on the northeast corner who is there on Fridays and only sells tackle. He's at Santee swap meet on weekends. Make sure you haggle because some of his used stuff starts at brand new prices. There's another guy there on the weekends who sells all the weights and jig heads you need. He makes them himself and prices are really good. Garage sales in beach areas and Spring Valley swap meet are good too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  13. FishingFireman

Ratings:
    +38
    Name:
    Andrew
    Good info, I'm definitely going to need to check out the swap meets. Also why do you think spinning reels are better?

14. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,606
    all my bay gear, is the same stuff i use for the largemouth bass...i use a 7ft medium heavy rod with a lews ss baitcaster...12 pound flouro....for the bay all i pretty much throw is big hammers, usually in the 4 inch size and usually halloween color, with a big hammer jig head, usually red and usually 3/8 oz...this is what i throw 99% of the time...cast...and reel in as slow as you can without hitting anything..you will get bites...ive also caught halibut on this same setup...biggest was 42 inches..

others have suggested the surf..i will agree with them on that..although i am much newer to the surf, its a great place to fish and bait can be free if you can find it...for the surf i got a light spinning rod and a 13 reel..both from turners..combo was probably less than 60-70 bucks.

i suggest whatever you use, be sure to rinse thoroughly after any saltwater outings. You don't need to spend a ton for the bay. Keep it simple.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. TekAngler

Ratings:
    +370
    Don't have to worry about birds nest, wind,you can cast really light lures without problems, switching to different weight rigs/lures with making adjustments etc, etc, etc. Basically more time fishing and less time dealing with unnecessary hassles when you're doing a whole lot of casting. They're ideal for different scenarios of course.
    P.S craigslist is still good too. Not long ago I got a 15ft rod, 12 foot rod, penn pursuit 7000, daiwa baitrunner reel, ~6 foot and 2-4 foot sand spikes all for $70.

16. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,419
    Spinner over a baitcaster?? Wait til you get wind knots with spinning reels.... it’s as irritating as a backlash on a baitcaster. You will have more opportunities to hook fish simply because of being able to feel the line 100% of the time with a baitcaster. Try feeling the line on a spinning outfit while retrieving your plastic.... you kinda need three hands. Can you have good sessions with spinning outfits? Sure. Anyone with a little patience can master a baitcaster in an outing or two. Casting lighter lures.... sure, better with spinning. BUT, how many times do you cast anything in the bay that’s lighter than 3/16oz? That’s the weight of the jigheads I use. And I can cast the hell out of them, on 8#-10# mono, which only tells me I could cast lighter lures if I wanted to.

You’re gonna have to be your own judge for what you’re comfortable fishing with. But I’d be curious what the percentages are for bass fishermen and what type of reel they prefer... my guess would be a landslide favoring baitcasters. If you’re a drop shot kind of guy, stick to spinning, not that you couldn’t do it with conventional gear... there’s a time and place for everything. If you’re anything like the rest of us, you’ll have several setups of each kind before too long anyways.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  17. TekAngler

Ratings:
    +370
    Wind knots on spinning reels? That happens 1 out of 1000% times and only when you don't make sure there's no loose line on the spool after each cast. That's accomplished with a simple tug of the line after a cast to set it on the line roller and remove slack off the spool. Whenever I see "expert" baitcasters wasting time with bird's nest I never look at them directly to so they don't feel embarrassed. I just look at them out the corner of my eye and shake my head.

18. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,606
    i have just as much spinning gear as i do casting...for swimbaits..i prefer casting..easier to work in my opinion

19. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,662
    Name:
    Eric
    Here we go, spinner vs baitcaster..lol.
    In my opinion I prefer baitcasters for lures and spinners for bait. Yes you can switch weights with no worries, but if you are rely completely on brakes and spool tension setting to avoid backlashing a baitcaster, you're doing it wrong. To me the main advantage of spinning gear in salt is that it ages better with minimal maintenance. Bait casters get water inside and require more thorough and regular cleaning. I prefer reeling a fish in on a spinner, as well as holding the rod on a bait and wait. Retrieving lures, feeling the bottom, and repetitive casting I like baitcaster. It's all about what your comfortable with and personal preference to me. Catching smaller fish on light line either one works, I don't see it as a clear cut issue like catching big fish on conventional vs spinning.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  20. FishingFireman

Ratings:
    +38
    Name:
    Andrew
    I didn’t know spinning vs. baitcasting was such a big debate! Haha, well as we speak in already looking at combos for both. Seems like I’ll just the spinning for drop shot and lighter lures, baitcasting for pretty much everything else.