First saltwater set - which Daiwa BG to get - 4000,4500 or 5000?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by YuriSD, Aug 21, 2019.

1. YuriSD

YuriSD Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,
    Looking to start my saltwater gear. After spending time reading about recommended reels at low price ($100-120) Daiwa BG appears to be highly recommended due to quality and performance. Originally was looking at Penn Fierce II and Penn Battle II, but consensus seems to suggest Daiwa BG's instead.

My question is this - which size to get? I'm usually going with my friend who has a nice boat and we go to 9 mile off Point Loma/Ocean Beach. We troll or use live-bait most of the time, but have also jigged. Right now I can't spring for multiple setups, so looking to get started with an all-arounder. We are typically after tuna and similar. I've never pulled anything above 15lbs, but there is always that hope.

As stated - i'm looking at 4000,4500 and 500
    4000 is smaller, lighter and has lower max drag- $94
    4500 is heavier, but just slightly less heavy than 5000 and has same max drag as 5000. - $118
    5000 is faster in pulling line and has significantly more capacity. - $98

Question 1: Which one would you recommend?

Question 2: Any reasonably priced rods to go with the reel?

Daiwa's page gives the following stats:
    http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/bg_sw_spinning/index.html

z95MBs7.jpg

2. YuriSD

YuriSD Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry for the double post - browser glitched.

3. sdedtune

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,316
    I have a Penn Slammer III 4500 i’d be willing to sell for $120. For an extra $40 I’d throw in a UglyStik Tiger Spinning rod.

4. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,994
    I wouldn't be getting a spinning reel for your first & only all around set-up, a conventional style reel is more versitale in the do it all dept.
    casting jigs, slow trolling sardine, line / braid capacity to do deep drop rock fishing with small gear, etc...
    You may think you want a spring reel to cast artificial lures but once trained its easier to load a conventional rod more aggressively & get a further cast over a spinning outfit.
    Just my 25cents....

5. Cyjake111

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,645
    if you're really set on the bg, I have used both the 4500 and the 5000. I much prefer the 4500. It has enough line capacity (50lb braid on mine) and is a beast to play with. The 4500 is also about an actual size of a 6000 reel from any other brand. I found the 5000 to not really fulfill a purpose other than being slightly larger than the 4500.

6. YuriSD

YuriSD Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you for the offer. I don't know much about slammer and would like to get something new with a warranty.

My first reel 30 years ago was traditional style (of a different kind), but i had my share of bird's nests while learning. I take it the issue of bird's nests is still around today with them? Are you talking about something like Penn Squall LevelWind?

Although the one I've used was much different than most "traditional" reels sold here

Here is a picture
    katushka-nevskaya-kupit-original-1-800x800.jpg

That's some good feedback about the 4500, I appreciate it. Would you say it is an OK reel for 10-40lb fish?

7. Cyjake111

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,645

it's fine for the 10-15 lb range of fish. anymore than that and i'd honestly be using a 400 size baitcaster or a convo reel. I guess my set up could nab a 40lb tuna (bg with daiwa proteus) but that's not a fight i'd enjoy on the spinning set up.

8. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,994
    not a squall, you are an adult & im sure you are capable to easily put the line back on your reel evenly usin your thumb to track the line back & forth as you retrieve...
    More like a smaller size Penn fathom star draj.
    Just overall easier to use when it comes to westcoast style fishin usin bait....
    Where do you live? Maybe hit-up the shops & talk to them, fishermans landin, turners outdoors, etc....

9. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,630
    My $.02:

Weight adds up exponentially if your holding the rod a lot during the day. If its mostly sitting in a holder, not such a big issue I guess.
    The drag even on the 4000 will probably be more than you need. (ever tried to lift 15# from the tip of a rod?) And the crank on those BGs is smooth as silk. Huge gear inside to put the torque to the rotor.
    I guess what I'm saying (if I'm saying anything) is don't be afraid to downsize on those reels as dictated by your line capacity needs.

10. YuriSD

YuriSD Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hm.... you folks are starting me down a dangerous path of gear lust ....Those Fathom (especially lever/2speed) are temping. 2 Speed is more than I wanted to spend, but appear to be a great all around option.

Lots to think about.

11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,762
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Get a conventional, man.. yes, bird nests are annoying, but you will get the hang of it quick. The cheapest Penn warfare combo off Amazon will absolutely outlast any of the spinning combos you are contemplating, with more cranking power and durability for things like fishing 400 feet down for rockfish..

12. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,934
    I tend to experience less bird nests with my Torium than I do with my baitcasters...

13. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,762
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Sealine reels have a mag knob... Lol

14. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,934
    You know that I know that you know that I don’t use these knobs

I’m too damn stubborn ha ha ha

#14 Chriwilson, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. tjohnson619

tjohnson619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +150
    Boat:
    16ft Basstracker
    I would buy a diawa saltist 30 conventional reel and fill it with 65 lb braid... then you can run 15 to 40lb leaders and that will cover everything.... my good to local setup is a saltist 30t on a calstar 700m

16. YuriSD

YuriSD Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    So I'm now considering Penn Fathom. After reading about star and lever drag, it I like the idea of the 2 speed lever drag. Feedback on either?

I was going to get 25n, but it's sometimes significantly more expensive than 30 size ($270 vs $210 on Amazon). From what I've read 30 has slightly wider spool, but otherwise same diameter.

As far as using thumb to lay the line during retrieve - danger of cutting skin? Tape or glove to protect?

17. tjohnson619

tjohnson619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +150
    Boat:
    16ft Basstracker
    i fish straight braid to 6ft floro leader... no thumb cuts but if a day of alot of catching i always carry medical tape to wrap fingers... i would get the 25n and spool it with 65 lb braid... you can fish 20-40lb leader on it

check local stores... most will spool it free and they go on sale alot... also check bloodydecks and here in classifieds and can normally buy a 25n with braid for right around 200

18. YuriSD

YuriSD Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Which shops should I check? I looked at west marine, but they dont stock reels really (they have a decent amount of rods though). I know it's a silly question, but I've not found a local store with a good selection yet.

19. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,762
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Turner's, squidco, all the shops on and off Rosecrans all have a good selection. I forget that place in Oceanside, been in business forever, they are great too. If you're in north county, Ken's will have what you need. For some classic gear very reasonable, hit up ironmike , for some old junk gear, I have a trash pile in my garage I let rookies raid from time to time

20. YuriSD

YuriSD Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I'm in Poway, so Rosecrans is probably best. Thanks for the information, it's appreciated.