First time on La Jolla (advice, or someone I can tag with.)

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by troyblanton, Feb 20, 2020.

1. troyblanton

troyblanton Member

Ratings:
    +8
    So,
    Finally pulling the trigger and getting my self a Hobie Outback.
    And where I’ve only fishing the bays and harbors on a paddle kayak, I really want to get out On La Jolla.
    Any advice to better my odds is appreciated.
    Plan on some heavy jigs, jerkbaits, fishing some frozen bait, and getting a livewell on the hobie so planning on trying to get some maks to try and nail something of size!
    Thanks in advance!

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47,398
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Live mackerel on a three way or dropper style rig is the way to go, IMO. If the mack is small enough, almost anything will eat this rig. Strip bait can work wonders, shrimp too. Shrimp is a deadly tool once March rolls around for sheephead, but bigger perch type fish and whitefish love it also. The LJ environment is very diverse, and there are a lot more fish available than just calicos and yellowtail. Side note about slow trolling mackerel for yellows: there are times the soupfin sharks are thick and can make life difficult. Bring your patience with you...

3. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,121
    I’m going to be out there a lot come March when the water warms up. Me and my buddy both have hobies. Let me know if you’d be interested

4. troyblanton

troyblanton Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Will do thank you!