First time out past the kelp beds

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Lord Matthew34, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Lord Matthew34

Lord Matthew34 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Had the opportunity to go out with some guys from work and i got beat up!!! I had no idea what to expect. I guess Friday wasn't the best day to travel out there in a 20' skip jack. It was pretty exciting, but the bite was dead, and the fishing conditions were a little less then favorable. I still caught a mackerel, but i'm told that doesn't count as a fish. lol at least everybody else got skunked too. 4 of us went out, 3 of us caught a mackerel each. It was my first trip ever out in open water.

I got to chum the water a couple times off both sides of the boat hahahaha but overall it was a fun time!! Just wish we could have caught something more then a few bait fish...

2. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    It probably doesn't help that there was a small craft warning out also. I bet the water was rough.

Macs are good for two things, catfood and Catfish bait. They are still fun to catch though.

3. Lord Matthew34

Ratings:
    +3
    hahaha yeah my buddy said there was a small craft warning, and asked us all if we still wanted to do it. We all had this day off from work, and had this trip scheduled for over a month. He told us that the conditions were not going to be very good, and warned us before hand that it was probably going to get pretty rough. Like lambs to the slaughter, we weren't going to not fish that day.

I have to say that he did a really good job navigating through that craziness. We launched from that dock across from the seaworld turnoff which i think is mission bay. I'm not sure of the name, but we had to go though a jetty channel that was really fun, because the waves were so big. Then we went around the point loma kelp beds, and point. I think he said we hit the san diego bay too. It was crazy!!! On the way back we almost turned around to dock at san diego bay, and take a cab to go get the truck and trailer. Instead we roughed it and made it back safely.

4. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    I was going to say that must have been a long boat ride from mission bay to Point Loma and into SD bay. I've done that ride from Point Loma and I know it can take some time.

There are ear tabs you can wear that will keep you getting sea sick. Ask you pharmacist about them or check online for them. It looks like a band aid. You put it on the night before you are heading out, and you feel great the next day.

I personally and only been sick once, but the boat was very unstable, and I had a breakfast burrito that I think helped make me ill.

I knew a guy who could not stand on dock without getting sick. He put those on and was right as rain.

5. Lord Matthew34

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh cool. I had no idea about those patches. I picked up some Dramamine, but took it 45mins before going out. It said a half hour to an hour to fully kick in, i thought I was playing it safe doing it the way I did. hahahaha big mistake. Next time i'm getting that bandaid patch thing.

I only got sick on the way out. I was ok on the way back.

6. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    You guys picked a tough day to go out. Next trip if it's calm should be a lot more fun. good luck

mick

7. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    The name of the product is Transderm-V Scopolamine 1.5mg. Here's a google search link I did for them

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Transder-v

You can get them without a perscription. If you have health insurance you may want to see if you can get them for less through them. I think they are going for $19 to $35

Good Luck.