First time Turkey hunter help a sd city boy

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by BigT, Nov 22, 2012.

1. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have never went hunting in my life. I been thinking about trying to get a Turkey. What do I need to do as far as license and where can I hunt them. Any info would be great. I would use a 22 or shot gun, not sure what would be better. I'm saw some Big ol suckers on my way to El cap one day, ever since I been wanting to get one.

2. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    You will need a license and a hunter's safety course. In that course they will teach you safety and some basic hunting rules. Little things like you can't kill a turkey with a .22.

I would encourage you to study the regulations and if you can, find someone to go with that knows what they are doing. Hunting can be fun and enjoyable but it can also be dangerous. Dangerous for you and those around you if you don't know the rules and practice proper gun handling and safety.

mick

3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,960
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Yes, exactly what Mick said. If you saw turkeys, chances are you cannot hunt there. It is not that easy. Most feel it is more difficult than hunting deer. For years the success percentage for deer in SD county has been below 10%.

4. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +94
    Go to Vons and buy one. The cost of the equipment (Camo, gun, license, ammo, calls) and time make it an expensive propostion unless you are an avid hunter who plans to hunt every chance you get and are willing to scout out the BLM land where you can legally hunt to locate an area where you have a chance of actually seeing a bird. You can PM Paul the Great and ask him to help you if you have just got to do it.

5. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    Great line Roy! You are right.

mick

6. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +610
    Great advice on signing up for the Hunter Education class! There are tons of wild turkeys on public land in East San Diego county. Early season is a real zoo and unless you have access to private land it's probably best to wait a week or two into the season before you venture out. You'll need to do a ton of scouting to find areas with birds prior to the season begins. I underlined areas because if you find birds on public land, you can be assured that others have seen those birds also. You'll need more than one spot unless you are fine with tight quarters and shotguns... :shock:
    I have bagged several birds with my shotgun but now have vowed not to shoot another one until I stick one with my bow. If you're a bow hunter, there are some places that only bow hunters are allowed...
    Turkey hunters are never going to offer up spots that are productive (on a public forum) because there is just too much competition for low pressured public land. Lots of early season scouting (January-March for spring season) should help you find your bird!

Also, another GREAT source of information would be the annual Turkey Tune-up held every year at Lake Sutherland. They have: several different seminars that are very informative to the new hunters, lessons on calling turkeys, great raffled prizes, and lastly, a raffle for hunts at Lake Sutherland. You might even be lucky enough to meet another hunter that is looking for a hunting partner. The San Diego Chapter of the NWTF website has information about past seminars and will post information about the next one when it's available.

You could go to Vons to get your fish also, but what fun would that be? Don't go to Vons if you want a wild turkey, they don't sell them! :lol:

7. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +94
    Fishing is low budget and a year round enterprize, hunting upland birds is not. I buy fish, mainly because swordfish and tuna are out of my realm of possibility, as is shooting a turkey. Trout, bass, halibut, or whatever is pretty easy and fairly inexpensive thing to do and I don't keep everything I catch. Shooting a turkey is definitely not catch and release. Of course if you plan to go long range, or hike into Golden Trout waters or flyfish the Frying Pan river for instance it is not going to be easy and inexpensive, I get that, but in this guys case, he stumbled upon some turkeys near El Monte park, in a residential area and wanted to shoot one, which is NOT a good idea so buying one at Vons is a better option..

8. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +610
    Ok, you read that he saw some turkeys in the park and wanted to hunt them. I read that he asked for help on the ins and outs of turkey hunting because he saw some turkeys in the park. However, instead of taking his 22 or shotgun out to the park, he asked for advice. You gave yours and I gave mine. With yours, he'll be out the price of a frozen turkey. With mine he'll be out a lot more time, money, and effort, but he'll have more knowledge as it pertains to his original question. "What do I need to do as far as license and where can I hunt them?" More importantly, "Any info would be great".
    By the way, once he has attended hunters education and has purchased his license, he might just get lucky on his very first trip. I know I did :). There really are a lot of turkeys on public land in San Diego county. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of turkey hunters...
    Happy hunting and fishing!!!

9. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +94
    he could always take his shotgun to Vons, should be exciting for the little old ladies in frozen foods section

10. msteiger

msteiger Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey dude, aside from the flame war above, here are a few tips. You cannot hunt turkeys in CA with a rifle (except air rifle). I think it's a safety concern as the round will go right through the bird and keep traveling for a few miles. Go buy a Rem 870 at Fine Firearms or Big 5.

You also cannot hunt them most places you see them; El Monte and Cuyamaca are loaded with birds but they're both State Parks and therefore off limits. If you can get written permission to hunt the much coveted private lands of Julian you'll be in the money. Otherwise buy a Cleavland National Forest map and start memorizing the boundaries.

Only 1 week left in the fall season. If you get your hunter Ed sorted out you can hunt the spring season in March.

11. aalvarado619

aalvarado619 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know its been years since this post has gone up, but great information.

I find myself in the same shoes as a 1st timer...

Is it possible to get a permit to hunt turkey in Lake Sutherland, if you did not go to the turkey turn up??

12. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +610
    Unfortunately, no. The season ends on Saturday. Your best bet is to go to the tune-up in Jan/Feb and then hunt them in the Spring. There's a local chapter of the NWTF: http://www.sandiegoturkey.com/

13. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,274
    If you want turkey on public lands avoid crowded areas and go deep. I like to hunt public land butted up against private property and call them over the fence. Lagunas have alot of birds but make sure yoir out of the rec zone that is archery only. Get an air rifle and your options open up a little as you can hunt certain areas you can not with a shot gun.
    Get a forest map ,blm maps and google earth is your friend. My public spots that hold birds are not fun to get to. Mostly deer hunters that go in those spots. Well I have a few that are pretty easy to get to but I will give them to you on my death bed. Go out before spring season a few hours before sunset and start to hike and listen for the toms calling early morning works to. When you hear them calling remember that area. Build your blind before you plan on hunting because I like to be set up at least 2 hours before sunrise so the birds have time to calm down if you happen to make your presence know. I go dark when near the blind. I usually have a game plan on how many decoys and where to set them up then setttle in and be still. Good luck.

14. BASSpwn17

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +114
    Name:
    chris estorga
    as everyone has mentioned, get your license and tag. i would recommend the online and half day class, went buy pretty quickly and was super easy.

as far as land get some maps in the areas you are looking as well as ONx app. this is a good resource to track and plot way points and plan how you will hunt. tons on usefull tools in the app like spring and topo maps.

the NWTF has meeting in poway once a month and put on a spring tune up event with lots on information and interesting people to engage with.

well good luck! only other thing i can put in is scout! as mentioned above look for roosting birds and set up a cam or 2 if you want.

15. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +610
    The tuneup is this Saturday. It's a great place to learn more about the local turkey population. Nobody is going to give you their honey-hole coordinates BUT you will: learn a few things, have a chance to win a hunt, AND you may actually make a few new hunting friends: http://www.sandiegoturkey.com/2019-spring-turkey-tuneup/ Make sure you bring cash or checks (no credit cards)

16. temleh

temleh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Boat:
    19 ft kencraft chall
    That’s the jarring ranch. Game wardens watch it like hawks. Shoot one of mr hartungs birds and you might not have a story to tell. Just saying

17. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,960
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Walt Hartung, by any chance?

18. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Thay first comment was from 2012. I wonder if he made it out alive?

19. chass1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +109
    Go out and scout alot. Hike far off trail, look for water and oak trees.

You will usually find them in areas where you can not hunt them.

This year important regulations

1/2 hr before sunrise to 5 pm

No lead

Need upland game on hunting license

Airgun shotgun or Archery

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Regulations

9061B711-A4C1-4929-9006-0A528A89E891.png

67644F52-5964-4D1E-A831-6A5F45BF8236.png

20. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,348
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    One thing to keep in mind , Air rifles DO NOT have to use non toxic projectiles even in the Condor zones . To bad they did not provide the same ruling for Muzzle loaders ! Cheers and Good luck !

#20 William Ritchie, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019