First tube outing

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Easy619, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,173
    Name:
    Eric
    I got out this afternoon in my tube for the first time. Fished mariners basin. Took me about 15-20 minutes to get every thing ready and launched from the beach near the playground at the northern most part of the basin. I had originally planned on launching at greylight this morning but my body said sleeeeep. I was in the water around 1 right as the tide was about to come in. Long story short, skunk no bites, had a rapala on a spinning outfit and a curly tail zman on the baitcaster.
    While the fishing sucked (or I sucked at fishing from the tube), it was super relaxing floating around and I got the hang of maneuvering around and got a good idea of some changes to make to the setup. The power kick fins worked well and I can see why the fins designed to generate thrust on the upkick are popular. I worked my way out near the exit of the basin and back, the wind was kicking pretty good around 10mph and that complicated things a bit but wanted to get out regardless. The 6ft rope with carabiner was quite handy to tie up to a few buoys and work an area and get a rest from the push of the wind. I did a combination of trolling lures and casting. I headed for shore after 3 hours, my legs were getting gassed, had to piss and getting hungry lol.
    Got my garmin striker 4 in the mail and next week I will head out again running the fish finder to try and improve on the zero fish count. Besides the skunk things went well, thought I was dressed too warm on the beach but once my butt was in the water I could have used another bottom layer under my PVC waders. The booted waders seemed to work well with the power kick fins, think I will hold off on buying new waders for a minute. Only hiccup was when I beached the tube I tripped and ate **** with the fins still on and dunked one of my reels. Beer and full breakdown tonight. Had a blast though and looking forward to dialing in this float tube game in the future.
    20210406_135637.jpg 20210406_144450.jpg

2. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,459
    You should build endurance fast if you go out often, 3 hours should be no problem once you are used to it.

Under the waders when it's cold, I like fleece wader pants or bicycle thermal tights. And I keep the neck and head covered too, makes a big difference, especially when the wind comes up.

1st time out should just be focused on getting used to the tube. Fish will come later.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,173
    Name:
    Eric
    That was exactly my plan, get used to the tube. Probably spent more time moving around and figuring out how to turn ect than looking for fish.
    I wore sweatpants under my waders, same as i do in the surf. Water was much colder in the deeper water than the shallows. Not too much of an issue though.
    This will be a good workout, haven't done a "leg day" in a few years hahaha. Without the wind I could have probably gone another 2 hours. It was pushing me to the east shore pretty well. All in all I'm pretty happy with how it went, great learning experience and great time on the water. Planning on getting out in the tube weekly. Good times

4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,459
    1st time I went out in a tube (a buddy loaned me one) it was at Upper Otay and I got stuck in the tules because I was not used to looking behind or maneuvering. Had a hard time getting unstuck too. Must have been hilarious to watch. Everything comes natural now, similar to walking. That is one thing nice about the tube, your legs just orient the tube and move it around without you even consciously thinking about it.

5. Egorham

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +640
    I pretty much always wear merino wool long underwear and wool socks under my waders. It does feel ridiculous when it's hot out but my legs overheating just hasn't been an issue.

Dope you got out. The day time spotty fishing has been slow lately you'll get them soon. I pretty much only tube lakes but will have to get out on the bay sometime soon.

6. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,173
    Name:
    Eric
    Honestly my career 1-4pm fishing talley is dismal lol wasnt expecting much. That and the eel grass that came back on lures was dead. Still worth it

7. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,731
    Love tubbing.
    I only wear no show style socks and sweet type shorts. Keeps me warm and dont get hot when the sun starts hitting. Its also a lot easier to piss when you dont have to much on, pull out and unload.
    It's all about timing. If you know the tide swing and the wind directions its a lot easier to plan your day so the tide and wind works in your favor.
    Great report. Thanks for sharing

8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,968
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    That will shorten up a session. Gotta find a way to GO! No waders, no problem! Little cold right now. As for fishing, drifting a drop shot is almost always productive. Gulp baits or squid trailer on jig.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,968
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Me too, but the wind blew me into them. Had to pull on the stalks to get out. Then I went home!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,731
    Yesterday I threw my jig a little to hard and it did a twist dance around 4 or 5 tules. I had to back in to get it out and hard a hard time getting out.

11. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,173
    Name:
    Eric
    My plan for next outing was a dropshot rod, a texas rig rod and a kroc on another.

12. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,968
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Probably need a little stiffer rod for DS in the bay. I use a baitcaster set-up.

13. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,459
    I have generally used a baitcaster for dropshot in the bay but I slowly drag the dropshot along the bottom when fishing in the bay (drop swimming) whereas for freshwater I usually cast to cover and keep it in one spot (keep rod tip still or shake a bit) before retrieving and casting to the next spot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,132
    (shore fishing sidebar)
    When people ask guidance on where to soak bait from shore, I tell 'em Christmas Tree Point is a spot where the sand flat is narrower, so it takes less wading to cast your bait out past the dropoff. There is also a bit of a swirl in the current because of the point (which is underwater) so forage fish and predators sometimes stack up there. Some days there's a steady bite there, but dead if you go 50 feet to either side.
    "I don't see Christmas Tree Point on any maps..."
    "You'll figure it out...."
    "But where is it?"

20210406_144450-jpg.jpg

15. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,630
    Just look for the palm tree with its leaves growing half way up its trunk.

16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,968
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Boat's mast?

17. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,630
    Lol .. yes sir. Funny how that just lined up in the picture.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. David J. Davey

David J. Davey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    You picked a nice calm day to do it. Nothing like the freedom of tubing. The only thing you have to get use to is traveling backwards to get to where you want to go, but it becomes second nature. Wait til the first time a seal comes up behind you and snorts at 10yds!!!! Scare the BeJesus out of you for sure. Your location is where I generally tube, and have caught all species of fish there, including legal Halibut. That's rare though. Good luck with the tube and have fun with it.