Fish die off - San Diego Local Pond

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Rodmaster858, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Rodmaster858

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,450
    While its hard for me to get the time to go out and fish due to new parent obligations , I found some spare time to fish. I decided to go to Evans pond, one of San Diego's local ponds. Sadly I came to a fish die off. Some theorizes that the pond is poison to keep the smell, and or population of anglers down. while others theorizes that due to increased temperatures and lack of water, the oxygen levels depleted. In past times, I see this pond have gone through multiple fish die offs :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

While all my other videos are more upbeat and positive. I really wanted to share this with you guys and ask the question . What do you think killed the fish?

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. Junirol

Junirol Active Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I was there the day before and it seemed fine. Small bass swimming near the shoreline, koi, and turtles swimming about trying to bite my topwater frog lure. The next day I wanted to try out my new Shimano slx xt, and all I saw was death, a few other anglers were there questioning and speculating what had happened. Just like you, some said weather or lack of oxygen due to an algae bloom, but the aerators were all on. I don't think I'll be going there for a while.

3. JoshJ123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +780
    Is it possible that the aerators didn’t produce enough oxygen for the fish? There’s like 5 of them across the pond so is that enough aeration for fish to survive during an algal bloom? Or did somebody seriously poison the fish? I would really hope not but how else can the die off be explained if there was enough oxygen in the pond. What do you guys think??

#3 JoshJ123, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  4. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,075
    4-5 aerators in a pond that size is BEYOND sufficient. O2 has zero to do with the die off on my opinion. The guy that you got audio of nailed it. I think enough locals/residents/whatever complained and whoever the administration of that pond was tool drastic measures. The worst part is, you will most likely get no solid information as to exactly why or IF any chemicals were introduced to reduce the smell. There may be some potential algae/bacteria threat, but thats a stretch as to why a pond of that size would be treated "allegedly" with harsh enough chems to create a die off of that size.

My hearts out to you Rodmaster858, I would be super bummed too. The look on your face kind of said it all at the end of the video.

5. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,359
    Yeah, I was there Thursday morning, and all was fine. Fri morning, mostly all dead/dying, except the orange koi. At least I got to say goodbye up close, if he didn't make it.

I'm leaning towards O2 depletion. I've only seen 2 aerators running, and this pond has had die offs before. If it was poisoned, I would think you would need A LOT of poison, something that would have to be regulated. I doubt some rogue person would have the means to do it at that scale.

This was brought up in another thread, and also on the news, and most others lean towards O2 depletion.

6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +57,463
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Harmful algal bloom is not always mitigated by aeration..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Rodmaster858

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,450
    Thanks for the concern, yeah I was pretty bummed out. I took my daughter alana, here handful of times, to unwind and have her enjoy the outdoors. but now , it will have to be another place. im hopeful that this pond will recover. As I heard, in recent times, that this pond has gone through fish die offs before.

tight lines!

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +57,463
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Sadly enough, a common thing for that pond, and a few reservoirs I fish in the IV too...

9. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,712
    wack...seen it happen on the river in mission valley 4-5 years ago...the grass took over the river...tons of fish died...still hasn't made a comeback....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I took my grandaughters there the other day for the first time and while it looked "fishy" it was a waste of time. What a shame as there are few places in SD where little kids can get started fishing like we all did with the basic worm/bobber rigs catching panfish.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Rodmaster858

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,450
    Yeah, my daughter and I will have to find another kid friendly place to fish in the north county region

12. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,605
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Smaller bodies of water are highly susceptible to temperature swings.

Here’s an excerpt about a much larger body of water that experiences this same condition during the summer and Santa Ana months:

“Biologists say that fish die-offs--which occur when rising water temperatures promote the growth of algae that rob fish of oxygen--are a natural phenomenon at many of Southern California’s inland lakes.”

Source:
    https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-08-17-mn-743-story.html

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,966
    Try Libby Lake in Oceanside. I haven’t seen it recently but it was a lot like Evans pond. I fished Evans as a kid but two of my boys caught their first at Libby. It’s a drive but might be a bandaid until Evans recovers.....

If anyone has any recent intel about Libby Lake it would be appreciated.

14. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,605
    Boat:
    Nunya
    I’ve read some interesting Yelps about Libby - J/S

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,359
    Does anyone know what's the deal with Poway Pond off Pomerado? I see reviews online, suggesting it's public, but the road to it is private.

16. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,966
    Wow, it’s changed a bit. I wouldn’t go to many SD Lakes or Ponds at night either....

Seems like some awesome fishermen, women and children can make it safe again!

17. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,605
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Haven’t been this year, but it has been on my hit list...

18. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,359
    So it's not restricted?

19. JoshJ123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +780
    Just small bullheads and carp in Libby as far as I know.
    Are you talking about the ponds off old pomerado road? One of them is really small but public and the bigger one is called Taylor pond, it’s private though.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +643
    Scripps Pond has been great for the kids. Our only other free option is Chollas, which has been pretty terrible in our experience. It certainly doesn't help that we almost always see adults fishing by themselves. I can't tell if the city actually cares about enforcing the kids-only fishing, or just unable to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List